Author Topic: How do independant rescues pay for neutering?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: How do independant rescues pay for neutering?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
our local CP helps out when we ask and I have been told that I should write to HQ directly to see if they will give us vouchers - in fact I must get on and do so.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 17:00:26 PM »
and never had any response to letters to CP HQ for help, despite the lady on the phone telling me they do help.

In that case someone needs to contact CP HQ direct. I have never known anyone refused.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 16:15:41 PM »
We are strictly speaking not an independent rescue, but thought i would post anyway!! We have to pay for our neuters - any kittens that leave us under 5 months old go with the agreement that if they use our vet, we will pay. Very occasionally we are lucky enough to get vouchers, and never had any response to letters to CP HQ for help, despite the lady on the phone telling me they do help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 15:49:27 PM »
So if she started a dialogue with another CP branch i am sure they will help..

Indeed CP HQ have made it very clear to branches that we need to help cats get neutered/spayed even if in the care of a reputable rescue as I would think is the case in question here. If the local branch are playing at 'Hitlers ' I am sure the CP voucher dept contacted via The CP vet will help.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 18:59:10 PM »
Dealing mainly with very young kittens, mine are usually too young to be neutered before they go to their new homes, but I do ask people to sign a contract to confirm they will have it done at six months.  When I do get older ones in, they are neutered before they are re-homed, paid for by myself with a bit of a discount from my Vet (which may end soon as they have been taken over by CVS).  The donation I ask for is £60 so really this only covers the vaccinations, microchipping etc, but I think it is important that any that can be neutered before they are homed are.

Have finally got myself on my microchipping course in May though, so will save some money there at last.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 18:56:20 PM »
I think you'll find that most independents main source of income to enable them to function comes from donations and fundraising.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 16:01:30 PM »
As a CP branch we do help other rescues with vouchers. So if she started a dialogue with another CP branch i am sure they will help.. I know CP HQ are tightening up on this.. but its worth speaking to HQ as well. But the most important point is the make sure the vets give her a good deal..!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 15:55:55 PM »
Independent rescues do this from donations usually but if I was her I would apply to Cp for neutering vouchers but not sure how they would react if they thought she was a rescue.

I am sure that Ela would know.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
How do independant rescues pay for neutering?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 15:43:12 PM »
I was looking on the ***love* site there was an independant rescue listed and I contacted her just to ask what area she covered and what was done to the cats etc ( it's always useful to know about other rescues in the area to pass people onto)

Anyway, a lovely girl got back to me and she mainly takes in cats from people's homes (where there's been a change of circumstance for example) and always scans if it's a stray. She de-fleas and de-worms but cannot affort to neuter every cat that comes to her. She's tried approaching other rescues and vets but not got any response.

She doesn't charge too much for re-homing and not enough to cover the increasing cost of neutering.

How would she go about being on a neutering scheme or could she just apply for individual ones from CP head office (just like a member of the public would?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's a key concern of hers and ideally she'd like to neuter everything that comes into care that isn't already neutered.

Thanks!!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat