Author Topic: Is there any improvement ideas for the site?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Is there any improvement ideas for the site?
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 20:55:02 PM »
That does explain it; I'm on firefox.....right......not sure how to swap it back for the time being!

Thanks guys. It looks a bit haphazard at the moment because I've copied and pasted but I've got a banging headache and all the info's on so it'll have to do until I feel a bit less yeurgh.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 21:51:08 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 20:52:40 PM »
Using Internet Explorer the pictures and captions dont match up as Millys Mum describes

Using Firefox the pictures and text match ------ very odd but hope that helps.   :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 20:29:26 PM »
Can anyone else tell me if the info is doing this for them as well?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 15:10:06 PM »
That's really odd; I've just looked and it isn't showing like that on our computer. :scared:

What server are you using? Could that make a difference? Hmmm, maybe I could make different sections for each cat......
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 16:07:16 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »
When i get to kringle his text is next to tom and from then on its dropping each time, trouble and sabby is next to rafferty and rochester

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »
Which text? I'll look but if you mean the text regarding two cats then I tried to position it as close to the middle of the two as possible. :)

And yep, there are! ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Can you make the links clickable?
Some of the text on the cats for homing has dropped down so it isnt where it should be.

Some lovely cats on there  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »
OK, does that look any better? Will try and find a more animal orientated template, but I really don't like the only one they seem to have.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 21:11:47 PM »
Excellent. :)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 18:06:51 PM »
Actually one of those puss cats in a pedigree british short hair and i have must emailed my rescue contact about Penny and she has just emailed the lady that runs the rescue.. So Penny may have a home lined up for her!!  The wonders of the web!!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 17:44:45 PM »
Eh, I'd do more if I could - I think she's a star. :)

Thanks for the input guys - will look at the sizing, but I use bold to make certain things stand out so couldn't put it all in that. ;)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 17:35:20 PM »
A thought - if you hold down control and + at the same time on your keyboard, this often makes the fonts on the screen larger - to return to normal size hold down control and minus - Don't know if it will work on your keyboard.  I found it by accident one day!!   :briggin:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 16:45:17 PM »
As a person with eye sight problems, it would be easier to read if the font was darker and larger.. . Any chance of it being bigger say 12 in Ariel or something.. (or bold).. This is the first thing i saw when i just looked so will be going back to it now and having another look at things..

How does that lovely veterinary nurse find the time to rescue all those cats.. And good on her practice for helping as well.
Oh and you of course helping with the website!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 16:54:11 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »
I'm never offended by constructive criticism. :) :hug: And thank you very much.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
Glad I haven't offended. I was a bit nervous about pressing the send button!

Let me know if you want any help.

Anne

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:55:14 AM »
Anne,

You most certainly haven't offended me.(Although I do like the cat graphic, but I'm a sucker for glittery things!) The plant thing is indeed a freewebs template - unfortunately the only one they do with animals is a bit umm...childish I guess is the word.

Will definitely  amend the titles - thank you. And not sure if I can change the layout to pictures at one side, info at the other but will most defitnitely give it a go. ;)

Also, thank you for the offer of help with the text, but the small amount of text you see is the info I'm given! (I'm nowhere near Blackpool so hae to go on what I'm given!)

Bryony, thank you for the PM. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:16:00 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
Hi

I am a marketing consultant and writing and designing websites are one of our things. Here are my thoughts both from a professional and cat lover point of view.

I'm not sure what you can do with 'freeweb' stuff so some of these things may not be possible to change.

General - when you have copy going right across the page it is not as easy to read and not as visually appealing. It is usually better to have two columns.

Homepage: 
Menu bar - 'Contact us' and 'Other useful sites' should be the two last items on the menu bar. I would change 'Cats in their new homes' to 'Success stories' - it shorter. 'Other useful sites' could be shortened to 'Useful sites' - you don't need to say other. If you make these titles shorter the menu bar will fit on one line.
I would have the copy in columns and add a couple of pictures of cats with caption - 'Casper is looking for a new family' or something similar. Pictures grab people's attention and tell them exactly what your site is about instantly, without having to read anything.
Not sure if the plant thing in the top right corner is part of freeweb or if you can change it. I don't think it says anything about cat rescue - if you can change it I would. Maybe an image of a cat.
Copy - I would be happy to make a suggestion for the copy if you like. I would say that a lot of people won't know what a 'trained VN' is. I think it would be better to say 'vet nurse'. I would also have the contact email or phone number on the front page so people can get it straight away. Also you would get better hits if you had more key words that people are likely to search under. (Usually these words would be in the coding and the actual copy but not sure how that works in Freeweb - I'm not the techie person)
I would get rid of the the 'THank You' graphic with the cats. SHowing pics of real cats has much more impact.

'How you can help' page
I don't really think you need this page. The first paragraph is really what you say on the first page. The second para you could add on the homepage and highlight in some way. You want the site to be a simple and clear as possible. The less clicking people need to do to get the info, the better. If the rescue develops and you have more information for volunteers and fosterers you many want this page, but don't think it is necessary now.

Homing pages
I would have the picture of the cat/dog on one side and the copy on the other side of the page. So the page is essentially split into two columns. The current way wastes quite a lot of space. You could alternate the pictures and the copy so they are in a checkerboard style so not all pics are on one side.

Cats in new homes page
Put the pics and copy in same style, pics on one side, copy on other. If you can I would also write a story about the cat in its new home. I know this may not be possible but people do like to read about success stories.

I would actually put a line at the bottom of every page that says something like 'Please contact us at xxxxxxxxxxx if you would like to meet any of our cats or have time to help out.'

These are my main comments.

If you want help with writing copy or anything with regards to this I am happy to volunteer some time. I am in Brighton so would have to be on long-distance basis, but I was born just outside Blackpool so have a connection. I also think you could do with a logo. Our designers are quite busy at the moment, but I could get them to do some ideas when we are a bit quieter. (It's my business so I can donate their time if you're interested)

I apologise in advance if I have offended you.

Anne

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Is there any improvement ideas for the site?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 17:06:44 PM »
http://www.freewebs.com/blackpoolcatsincare/index.htm

Anyone? I want to keep the site fresh and interesting so any opinions would be gratefully received. The most recent page is the "cats in their new homes" page....I thought it would be nice for people browsing to see a cat settled and obviously relaxed that had come from rescue.

Link to CatChat