Author Topic: Cat in bad way just arrived!  (Read 28761 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Cat in bad way just arrived!
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2009, 14:36:14 PM »
Quick update today guys having just checked in with the vets.

General opinon is that the hip is not staying in :(   and has definately come out but that Storm seems to be adapting to using the leg a little to hobble around.

At the moment only time with tell as to whether it will form a false joint.  Leaving things with the vet for now to decide how we best proceed from here as to whether to x-ray again and whether or not she is to be transferred back here for monitoring while we give her time to heal and decide what the future holds for the little one.   
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2009, 17:03:38 PM »
So pleased she is doing well and sounds in very good hands  :)
Me too. x

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2009, 16:51:26 PM »
So pleased she is doing well and sounds in very good hands  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2009, 15:20:02 PM »
Your vets sound brilliant ,like the old ones used to be, animals first money afterwards,after my experiences with vets (Meg and Ninja)   i find it very hard to trust any now >:( i think i will have to relocate  and come to yours  ;)anyway im glad Storm seems to be stabalising and look forward to the next update on her progress :hug:         
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »
well anything's possible I suppose!  lol    although I have a funny feeling she will come back to us.  Our vets I am very proud to say are far more about the animal and what is best for them so if they say its best for them to stay, then so be it! :)

For me, so long as she is comfortable and its the best thing for her then I don't mind whether she is there or here to be honest.  I totally understand their point of view about moving her and I know I would feel very guilty if we moved her and she fell the wrong way in the cat box and knocked the hip back out again.  So, as long as they are happy to care for her and she is happy in herself then that's the main thing for now.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2009, 10:21:07 AM »
Fingers crossed for her, at least it is looking promising for no surgery
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 16:59:32 PM »
So pleased this little one seems to have stabilised and is healing, hope she continues to make progress and won't need the surgery.  :wish:

from the sound of it she has wrapped them round her little paw, you do realise you may not get her back dont you ;) ;)
I wonder too if a vet/nurse has become smitten and and will consider homing her!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 16:35:11 PM »
Thats brilliant news, hopefully she may not need surgery, fingers crossed she continues to progress like she is :Luv: and from the sound of it she has wrapped them round her little paw, you do realise you may not get her back dont you ;) ;)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 15:32:05 PM »
Time for todays update!  :)

On speaking to the vet today they seem to be fairly pleased with her progress.  She is hobbling around and seems to be trying to put weight through the damaged hip, which is a good sign.   They can't tell 100% whether or not it is staying in well or forming a false joint without knocking her out and x-raying the hip but they really don't want to do that to her again so soon.

So, plan of action for now is to continue to monitor over the next couple of weeks with a view to x-raying again then to see what is going on.  Vet wants to make 100% sure that there is no other option but the surgery prior to doing it as he really doesn't want to put her through another ordeal unless he really has to.   :shy:   As he rightly says all we have to lose is 2 weeks and we can't put the top of the femur back once its off!!!  ;)

He has had her walk through the surgery today to monitor her walking and from what he said there is signs of improvement in terms of her at least trying to put weight through that leg.  She is currently residing in one of the kennels at the surgery and on checking whether they wanted us to collect her or leave her be I got a firm, no, leave her the weekend!  lol  somehow I think she's got them eating out of her wee paw but she is such a sweetie :Luv2:

I don't think there will be much change over the next few days / week but we will just have to keep checking in to see how she is.  Hopefully on checking in on Monday we will have a better idea as to whether they are comfortable with her being moved back here or whether they want to leave her where she is until the end of the week.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 19:57:38 PM »
Knit, knit, knit, little hip.   :wish: :ok:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 17:47:05 PM »
hi guys, not much to report today as I only got a chance to call into the vets at 5pm so couldn't speak to the nurse!

But the girls say that she seems to be doing OK today and has been trying to put a little weight on the leg.  Other than that I don't have any details today about pain levels, hip stability etc.

Will check in tomorrow lunchtime to have a word with the nurse and get a better idea of what is happening.  According to the girls at the desk, for now, it looks like the vet would like her to stay til at least Monday but should find out more specific details tomorrow.

fingers and toes crossed its starting to knit together! :wish:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 16:28:46 PM »
Love, huggles and lots of healing vibes for little Storm xxxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 16:09:10 PM »
Do we have any update on Storms progress>? how is she doing today, fingers crossed that she had a calm and mostly painfree night, sending lots of positive and calming vibes for her  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:54 AM »
Lovely to hear she's doing well!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2009, 21:09:36 PM »
I am so glad little Storm feeling better and more comfortable, bless her. :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2009, 20:10:09 PM »
So glad little Storm seems to be doing well and all fingers and paws crossed here for the little star - just wait till the painkillers wear off bet she will be a feisty little poppet! :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 18:43:51 PM »
Best wishes for Storm  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 16:08:15 PM »
So pleased to hear they've managed to elicit a pleasurable purr.   :)  Lots more positive vibes sent her way.  Come on Storm!  :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 15:46:14 PM »
Called the vets a little while ago and and she is feeling more comfortable today.  :)  They say she is being very sweet and affectionate and giving lots of purrs when receiving attention.  They did have to give her quite a lot of pain meds yesterday but so far today she seems to be coping better with a smaller dose however it does seem dictated by how much she moves around.

They are still limiting her movement as much as possible but it is simply a waiting game for the next few days to see if the hip will eventually take and stay in place which they have their fingers crossed it does so she doesn't have to go through the trauma of surgery too!  bless her.  :Luv2:

All we can do is hope that the next few days go well for Storm and her hip.  I'll be checking in with them again tomorrow to see how things are and will update you all.  :hug: 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 14:21:12 PM »
Topping up some more get well soon vibes for Storm  :hug:  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
Give this little lady lots of hugs from me here - sending vibes to heal those little bones of hers - that we all love xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
thanks guys, will be checking in with the vet this afternoon to see how she is doing.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
Hope Storm had a good night with not to much pain and discomfort, :Luv2: sending her lots of healing vibes :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 08:47:32 AM »
Sounds a great vet, lots of positive thoughts for this little one xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 06:53:52 AM »
Topping up the love and get well vibes for this little lass.     :hug: :hug:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 23:56:59 PM »
really hope the wee one gets better.

I agree with you about the radio announcement - we lost one of ours after an RTA a few years ago, and I was so, so grateful that the neighbours who found him managed to find us before he died.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 23:17:37 PM »
Sending Storm more love and best wishes.
 :wish:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 16:07:35 PM »
thanks hun, yes our vets are brilliant so many nowadays just think of the money at the end of it and forget about the animal suffering.  we are so lucky to have such good and supportive vets.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 15:30:56 PM »
At least she is in safe hands as they sound as they treat not only the injury but also the cat, so many now adays forget that its a living creature,and if she does need the surgery at least  it gives her a fighting chance to recover and go on to hopefully lead a good life with people who will love her :hug: sending lots of healing and calming vibes for Storm  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 14:46:50 PM »
next update folks!  :-:

Spoke to the vet dealing with her case and she is comfortable for now but the hip does not want to stay in place :(

So, they want to keep her in under close supervision for the rest of the week with a view to keeping her in until at least the weekend so that they can keep her confined to a small pen area and limit the possibility of the hip popping out again.  They don't want to risk further damage to the hip by moving her un-necessarily either and to that we obviously agree especially if it would risk damage / disjointing the hip again.  It also means that they can monitor her pain levels and give her stronger meds as required.

It is still very likely that this little one will need surgery and the vet said that if things don't improve towards the end of the week that they would be looking to knock a chunk off the top of the femur to get it to set in place again as they had a very hard job getting the hip back into place and it does not want to stay there.   He even commented that she is a lovely little cat and I'm sure she is getting lots of attention and cuddles from the nurses.

We've to check in each day to see how she is doing and have to play things by ear really.  Hopefully she won't need the surgery but I got the impression from the vet that it pretty likely she will.

So all we can do is keep our fingers and paws crossed. She is in the best of hands for now and all we can do is wait until she is stable enough to be returned to us.   

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
not yet   :hug:  I called a little while ago but the nurse and vets are all busy so said I would call back at lunchtime when things are a bit queiter. 

could only speak to the receptionist who didn't know what the current situation was with her.

I did get a call last night from the young couple who brought her in who have been going door to door to see if they can find the owners but to no avail so far.  They have called every day since she arrived and I really felt for the girl who was so upset at seeing wee storm in so much pain.  (we're convinced that they are definately not the owners... as that's usually my first suspicion)    ;)

Although it did raise one point when telling her about the announcement yesterday in that perhaps if the person who hit her heard the news then hopefully they have a conscious and thus feel like crap about injuring her..... well we can but hope I suppose!!!!  :sneaky:

will update as soon as I know more.   :hug: 

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
Is there any news on Storm this morning?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 20:05:54 PM »
If no response then you can rest in the knowledge that you tried your best :hug: i do so hope that little Storm is able to be helped and then to find a lovely new home, after all she has been through she deserves it :Luv: :Luv:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 19:18:14 PM »
you're not alone in the disappointment in general with the human race... I'm with you loud and clear.  But this afternoon I sat and thought about it and knew I would be devestated if one of my little one's was going through something like this and knew that I would want to know.  At the end of the day we're not silly and we know the tricks that people play but on the off chance that it is someone genuine I felt it was worth the effort for such a little darling.

The bulletin went out with the afternoon news on the radio and if we hear nothing back then so be it but at least I know that we tried and to me, that's what matters :)

Just a waiting game til morning now to see how she's faired over night! :wish:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 18:34:08 PM »
Just come across your posts and wanted to add my good wishes and (very gentle)  :hug: to Storm, from me and my poor wee 'xyz' (as yet unnamed!)who is so stressed out at leaving the rescue shelter yesterday, that he hasn't eaten/drunk/pee'ed or poo'ed yet!  At least I know he's not in physical pain like Storm - but it breaks my heart to know that he doesn't feel safe here.......
Anyway, back to poor Storm - I do hope that, whatever the outcome at the vet's, he makes a full and complete (same thing?!) recovery very soon.  I also hope you're not left to foot the bill........

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 15:32:47 PM »
and well if they don't want to know then fine, we'll just have them sign her over to us.

Poor little baby. Hopefully the owners won't expect you to foot the bill and still have her back. I know it isn't unheard of.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 15:33:02 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 15:00:00 PM »
I hope for little Storms sake they are genuine and that they do call ,and yes i agree but  im afraid i dont have much faith in the human race as it is nowadays, this throwaway society we have created

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 14:56:41 PM »
true, but then if it was me I'd want to know and suppose we can't tar everyone with the same brush! 

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 14:46:56 PM »
Unless they are really genuine  cat lovers i dont suppose they will come forward knowing they will probably have a large vets bill to contend with,in which case little Storm will be better off without them, :Luv:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 14:17:53 PM »
hopefully.  :wish:

I have just got off the phone from the local radio station.  Storm is such a little sweetie and I just feel that after all she has been through we should make that extra effort to see if we can find her owners.  Granted they may or may not want to know but at least we will have tried.

It is hoped that a message will go out on the radio this afternoon to see if we can trace her owners that way.   

I suppose we can but try!?!?!?  and well if they don't want to know then fine, we'll just have them sign her over to us.

Link to CatChat