Author Topic: kittens  (Read 2184 times)

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
Re: kittens
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 23:51:37 PM »
depends what you mean by "young" - our 2 were 14wks old when we got them - little enough - and, 'cos we both work full time, it was nice that they weren't really weeny and needing constant attention.  They settled in really well and had/have each other to play with, annoy etc - they just settled really quickly into a routine that works for all 4 of us ;D 

we got them from a local rescue too, which maybe might have been more flexible than a national one?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 15:36:52 PM »
I hope so, its a shame when people are terrified of home checks!!  I have another friend who wants a young cat as a friend for her current rescue cat unfortunately she is indoor only and nobody will touch her

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 15:33:58 PM »
Well, sounds like a done deal in that case, Dawn.  ;)

I'm sure some of us here could conjure up some fluffballs when the time comes. :ok:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 13:22:44 PM »
I think she would be pretty good, I know her family cat is very well cared for and she is always buying toys for him so I think any of her own would have lots of toys!  her an her oh have spent the last year or so getting there new house sorted out and it is something they have always wanted but because of all the decorating and things they have kept putting off, they are also aware of the cost of vets and things (her sil is a vn) - she even likes black and white cats best!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 13:15:05 PM »
Some rescues won't rehome kittens to working people, and some will. Personally, I think apart from feeding issues, they need to be aware that kittens play an awful lot and when you aren't there to supervise, they can be destructive. This is one very common reason why we're asking to take kittens into rescue.

So, kittens left alone need lot and LOTS of toys to keep them busy and restricted access to breakable things.  :sneaky:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
I can't see any reason why not!   although every rescue and their policies are different!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
  We try to get the babies onto a meal at morning, tea time and then late night for 3 meals a day.  Just that any younger than this then they really need tohave that extra small meal in the middle of the day.

I was wondering if this would be an option

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
Personally speaking so long as the kittens were approx 16 weeks ish so that they no longer needed a meal in the middle of the day then can't see that being a problem.  We try to get the babies onto a meal at morning, tea time and then late night for 3 meals a day.  Just that any younger than this then they really need tohave that extra small meal in the middle of the day.

one thing that should NEVER be done though is leaving food out in the morning to cover a lunch time meal.  so in short so long as the above is considered I couldn't see it being a problem bearing in mind kittens aren't left to roam the entire house while you are out.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »
We were told when we registered at our rescue that even though we wanted 2, the fact that we both work full time (depite OH working shifts), we would not be able to adopt kittens younger than 6 months.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
kittens
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
a work collegue is considering homing a couple of kittens in the spring time - she is wanting to go down the rescue route but is worried that them being alone all day will be an issue - is this something that will stop her passing a home check?  I know she would be a fantastic owner

Link to CatChat