Author Topic: Does anyone else find this with rehoming? Owners cannot be bothered..  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Does anyone else find this with rehoming? Owners cannot be bothered..
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
All the time.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:54:48 AM »
we've only had 1 or two that we have put forward for direct homing and they have been older cats already vacc'd and neutered so not had to deal with that issue, although we would suggest they were up to date.

in terms of not doing it some people do have busy lives... others well.... like most things in life for them... they just can't be bothered I was reckon.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 13:40:25 PM »
Occasionally I have direct homed but don't really like it as I find that usually the cat is not a bit like they have described. (temperament and often health wise).  Sometimes if I am 100% all is well I offer to place pics on our site, but usually we end up bringing the little ones in after a period of time.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
We offer direct rehome through the website, but like you, not everyone can be bothered to give us the details. We dont operate a waiting list though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Does anyone else find this with rehoming? Owners cannot be bothered..
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
Within our branch any cat or cats we are unable to take in go on a list, but i also offer people direct rehoming.. or at least abit of help with rehoming. BUt only if they send me in a photo and some details either by email or post (email usually) they are also advised thta getting the cat at least started on its vac course will help with rehoming. And i want put an un neutered cat on our direct rehoming (unless kittens of course) without them (or us) getting it neutered.

This seems fair doesnt it...? As in doing so a cat is given a health check and we can at least be asured that the cat has been seen by a vet before being rehomed..

SO WHY DONT PEOPLE DO IT!! ?
People ring up with all sorts of excuses and when we say to them we cannot take th cat in immediately and they will go on our list, but we can try direct rehoming first in the meantime, very few committed people actually do this..

But it does indeed work, if people can take the time and the trouble to send me infor and photos then usually a place comes up or a home comes up.. But out of 10 calls in a few days all expecting us to take their cat in NOW.. no one has sent me anything...!

I think they probably just ring all rescues until someone says yes straight away, and cannot be bothered with all the palaver we ask for..

But what do others rescues do... or ask for, to help rehome..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:53:22 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat