Author Topic: Beating BSBs at their own game!  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Beating BSBs at their own game!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »
Update!! Between me and Pinkbear 12 enquiries over the weekend and i see some of those peeps are posting to Purrs. I have noticed a few Cp branches now on their (Tonbridge, East Surrey and Sheppey)... I have to say since our ads the number posted to the board for kittens and cats has decreased but perhaps thats just one of those things.. Maybe we are bombarding them too much..

One of those enquiries was local and is being HC this week.. The otehrs not but have been passed onto other rescues, Catchat listing and Purrs forums and anything else i can think of.. Of course you do get extreme idiots but i would be interested to see if other branches are having some success as well.. Pls let me know!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 20:35:33 PM »
Me and Julie have our own pr.... adverts..Mne are much more to the point then Julies ones, hence Julies ones seem to get more people. But i get more neutering enquiries.. I agree mine may be "direct" but never mind it seems to be working.

I had 8 over the weekend, 2 i passed onto another bfanch 2 I am dealing with, 3 were for neutering advice and 1 was for kittens that i put onto another branch..
The neutering blurb works well, my Pedigree rescue blurb works well as well, i have put 2 people onto Burmese and Siamese rescue both were from Leeds (abit strange looking under Kent).. I have no idea how successful the ones i pass on are as other branches rarely get back to me..

But i have 2 homechecks sorted for the ones we have made contact with and 1 are up for taking 2 so.. peeps get posting....!!!!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 20:37:05 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 20:27:35 PM »
CS, I know that nobody believes me but the BBC did spend 4 years trying to train me to write Eastenders - I failed because I wasn't nearly enough miserable for the job!  :rofl: Hopefully a little of the work paid off in the way I cobble words together on occasion when the mood takes me.  ;)

Yeah, sure.... pinch anything I write. All copyright free when it comes to helping the puds.  :naughty:

We've had another person approach us today from the p***** ad. Lost her pud just before Christmas and wants to adopt one of ours.  8)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 20:12:44 PM »
"Insist on the best. Get a rescue cat"

I love that, you should come and work in advertising. Do you mind other CP branches 'borrowing' some of your words? It's written very friendly too, not preachy and really approachable. I think that's helped a lot in your success and long may it continue.

Cpl Smokey says "it's almost as good as one of da army's mishuns!"

I too will be bringing it up at the next meeting.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 17:04:18 PM »
Ahhh I was wondering tooo - I havent actually heard of that before  :thanks:.....I am away to investigate
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 17:02:24 PM »
Ok I give in I know what G**T** site is but I can't work out the P***** site .... somone please let me know  :scared:

Ooh... this is like charades!  :evillaugh:

All one word. First syllable  :yes: P**, as is something from before. Second syllable, l**ed as in something or someone you have a strong emotional attachment to. The whole thing means something which has already been cherished and adored.

I hope that gets around the moddy rules.  :shify:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 16:44:17 PM »
Ok I give in I know what G**T** site is but I can't work out the P***** site .... somone please let me know  :scared:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 14:24:03 PM »
The thing is, caledonia, folks don't think to google the word 'rescue'. Have a bash at googling 'kitten for sale' or 'ragdoll for sale' and see where it takes you...straight to g**** and p***** and not to rescue sites.  :sneaky:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 13:59:46 PM »
I guess I forget how many folks dont yet use the net because surely a quick google or ragdoll rescue for instance brings up UKRCC - well I know it does lol as thats how I found them  :rofl:!

But then if they are checking certain websites that are used by BSB hmmmm maybe they just dont know how to use search engines!

I will mention the ads at out next CP meeting - I am only recently involved with my local branch although they have a pretty good website and seem to be able to rehome quite qucik - although obviously the quicker the better as frees up more space.

I saw on our local g*mT*** site someone advertising a kitten at 7 weeks  >:(
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 15:24:30 PM »
I am not sure how many CP branches post on Purrs but your missing out on lovely homes here. PLEASE< PLEASE consider posting as Julie says i find it sooooooooooooooo strange that educated folk fail to contact us.. Of course some are going to be a waste of time but you will get luck and even the advert will put a few some one elses way... PLS HAVE A GO..

Try and beat the BSBs.. nothing is stoping anyone from Purrs posting about us on Purrs Rescue or even Catchat is there!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 15:26:14 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 15:13:53 PM »
... and again today a lady wrote to me from LEEDS!!!  :Crazy:

She was trying to find a Ragdoll and didn't know where to look so found my ad offering to help folks find a rescue cat on P*****. Naturally, I have put her in contact with Kelly-Joy.

People out there really don't know where to find a rescue, so even if half of you posted your own ad, we'd wipe the breeders off the map!  :innocent:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
Excellent news.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 20:44:42 PM »
I think you're right Julie about people not thinking about rescues.  I know when one of my colleagues was looking for a kitten they were all set to "buy" from the local paper until I happened to hear they were looking and provided them with alist of local rescues and explained the benefits of a rescue kitty and the negatives of getting one from the paper.

Needless to say they went to a local rescue and were matched to just the right little furball who has happily settled into their home and is the most handsome, healthy little fella ever  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:47:56 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 20:40:06 PM »
This does work... i get an enquiry a week out of this.. and also we have a neutering add as well.. Sometimes it out the area and i just pass on but it does make people think... and its good to see our adverts there.. I also have one about pedigrees end up in rescue too..

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 20:39:09 PM »
Make that 4 enquiries!  :Crazy: Most have been asking for kittens, but Sharon is usually good at talking folks round to thinking about older cats. Or if not, we forward their details to groups like Sheppey who still have kittens left.  :naughty:

I think the secret is not to preach, but you can certainly gently guide and get the message across and hopefully persuade people away from back street breeders and toward rescues. Often we've found people simply hadn't thought about a rescue cat.  :sneaky:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 18:59:20 PM »
Woo hoo what a good idea ... so glad you are getting inquiries ... fingers crossed they all end up with a kitty (or two) finding a new home.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Beating BSBs at their own game!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 18:53:27 PM »
Thought I would say that today alone I have had 3 enquiries about adoption from one of our ads on the P****ed site. Sharon will probably be passing these on to other rescues as we have nothing suitable left, but the volume of enquiries - not just for the rehoming but also the neutering ads - has been fantastic.

I highly recommend other rescues to place an ad in their own areas themselves.  ;)

Here's the text of my ad to show you what's doing the trick.  :)

Canterbury and District Cats Protection are working flat out to find loving homes for the hundreds of unwanted cats and kittens which come into our care each year. Please don't fuel the trade in sick or weakly and poorly bred kittens. Insist kitty has a full vet screening and vacinnations before leaving mum, and no kitten should be rehomed before 8 weeks of age. Kittens who leave their mother before 8 weeks are at much greater risk of infection and digestive problems.

If you are seeking a new companion cat, we have many adorable fluff balls of all ages available to forever homes and are always willing to advise you on selecting the purrrfect puss!

All our adult cats and kittens come with full health check, six weeks free pet insurance and are neutered (if old enough), vaccinated and microchipped. Insist on the best! Get a rescue cat!

Link to CatChat