Author Topic: Rescue spaces required Somerset  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Rescue spaces required Somerset
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 22:12:52 PM »
Generous offer  :)

Somerset & Devon are fairly close aren't they?

Depends on which parts but about the same as between us and London I would think, Mark.  :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 21:54:41 PM »
Generous offer  :)

Somerset & Devon are fairly close aren't they?

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dacamoba

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 20:17:57 PM »
Hello,

As my cats are in France for at least the next 6 months, I would be happy to foster for you if needed. I live in South Devon but would not be able to collect as I don't drive. Hope you can get them out quickly.

Regards
Dacamoba

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 17:41:55 PM »
I wouldnt get the RSPCA involved until you have the cats out at least, they are rubbish at getting things done and then you risk the woman losing her trust in hazel.
If you have links to an inspector you have better chances but it sounds as tho you will be going through the call centre, i wish you luck.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
This is our concern, we dont think she will stop so the chances of getting this lot out is only saving this lot and she will carry on!! With the RSPCA help and enforcement this wont stop.

The Local CP told hazel she is always doing this and they wash on her hands on her as they have taken some before in the past and some or 1 died. The woman lied also as she originaly told Hazel the cats were from CP that they were over run and asked her to foster them, but when Hazel queried this at CP it turned out lie and the truth is she keeps doing it.

Grr it's like slamming your head on a brick wall!! As much as rescues try to help there just isnt enough law enforcement on animal welfare to back us up.

Right, just got some people coming to collect there rescue mice so need to sort adoption papers out etc.. and will get onto this when done.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 11:18:52 AM »
See if you can get local CP to you to contact CP HQ and they put the squeeze on RSPCA who are local, at least you will speak to a human being (well hopefullY) but its something CP will ahve to do i am not sure they will do much without a CP branch intervention.. Sadly i agree with Julie and Mark... and its way beyond a simple rescue case as whats to stop this all happening again.. !!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »
RACR, has the RSPCA visited and seen these animals? I suspect not. The local branches have a reputation of being very keen on passing the buck and if they can blackmail you into sorting these cats out, that's less work for them, isn't it? The fact remains - undealt with - that this woman in blatantly refusing to care for her animals or allowing anyone else to without preconditions. What happens when you've cleared out the present cats? Is she going to stock up again?

I have every sympathy for folks who find themselves dealing with situations they can't control or understand. I sorted out 50 feral cats living on a farm last year and the lady caring from them was frantic for any help she could get.  :) But anyone who fails to put the needs of the cats first and is happy to sit and watch them suffer rather than accept help in any form it comes is guilty of neglect under the Animals Act.  :shy:

The RSPCA informed Hazel the only way they will will help is by putting them to sleep,

That sounds like a warning that PTS is a possibility if any or the cats are too far gone - and it is a real possibility. But until these cats have been seen by a vet, no one knows their long term chances of survival, do they?  :tired:

I'd call their HQ and have a chat with the actual Inspector and see if the 2 of you can work together, as bc suggested.  ;)

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
Ok. I will get onto them (are they available to speak to today?)

must say every time I ask the RSPCA for help its always a battle. I used to foster for them some years ago and couldnt handle it back then because the way they work, thats wqhy I went private and started a rescue myself.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 09:28:40 AM »
If you have places to accommodate them you may be able to work in partnership with the RSPCA - they use their enforcement tools to remove the animals, you use your resources to support the animals they may otherwise PTS.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
So would it be best to contact the highest person possible. The RSPCA informed Hazel the only way they will will help is by putting them to sleep, which has worried us all, as you can see by Anya and Leo there is chance to get them well and im very strongly against PTS unless there animal is beyond help and not able to get well.

It's hard enough to find rescue places and funding for cats whose owners/keepers actually want to be helped. When the humans who are supposedly responsible for the care of these cats and kittens start laying down ground rules to accept help from outside agencies, they really are taking the  :censored: out of the lot of us.  :tired:

This woman is failing in her duty of care and therefore has broken the Animals Act. So any onus is on the RSPCA whose job it is to actually enforce this act to do something to defend these cats. I'd say your best bet is to force the RSPCA into action. The best way to do that is to get the vet involved in treating the cats you have already removed to make a formal request to the RSPCA inspector.  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:09:40 AM »
It's hard enough to find rescue places and funding for cats whose owners/keepers actually want to be helped. When the humans who are supposedly responsible for the care of these cats and kittens start laying down ground rules to accept help from outside agencies, they really are taking the  :censored: out of the lot of us.  :tired:

This woman is failing in her duty of care and therefore has broken the Animals Act. So any onus is on the RSPCA whose job it is to actually enforce this act to do something to defend these cats. I'd say your best bet is to force the RSPCA into action. The best way to do that is to get the vet involved in treating the cats you have already removed to make a formal request to the RSPCA inspector.  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 21:39:59 PM »
The problem is, CP don't have any powers so can't force her. The RSPCA can and should be doing something though. I have no faith in them at all - they are supposed to enforce the animal welfare act. Maybe a call to the local paper naming and shaming them might be the thing to do.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 20:06:56 PM »
She may deal with rescues if she is told she is risking prosecution as it is against to law to have animals and not take care of basic welfare.

She has already threatened hazel not to go to RSPCA etc.. Rspca and cp (local) are aware of her but wont do anything. Hazel will claryfy details on that also.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 19:52:27 PM »
She may deal with rescues if she is told she is risking prosecution as it is against to law to have animals and not take care of basic welfare.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 19:49:38 PM »
If a rescue is willing to take some then Hazel will be contacted (ive sent her link to here also) and it can be arranged for her to get cats out when needed. Transport runs could be arranged if needed.

Not sure of exact ages but there ranging from little tiny kittens up to about 6 to 7 months old.

The older cats/kittens are described to be in pretty goodish health. I cant vouch for this personaly
as i havent been able to be there to asses them. Anya & leo wasnt to bad but they were pre treated by Hazel for Flu and we continued vet treatment once they were in RACR care. Leos eye is recovering now. I think the main ones ill are the young kittens and the stunted girl with ulcerated eyes that need urgent vet treatment.

Hopefuly Hazel will be along soon with more info.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 19:34:24 PM »
How would transport be arranged?

We are in Kent, and  CP branch... Any ideas of the condition...description of the cats and age?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
Rescue spaces required Somerset
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 19:24:52 PM »
Hi. I am wondering if any recsues could offer places and help out some cats and kittens in urgent need.

You may of read the 2 I have secured (Anya & leo) well there are another 11 in bad condition. Some of the older ones look pretty good but the kittens definatly have signs of cat flu. There is a 6 month old with stuinted growth and ulcertaed eyes, completly blind and all are untreated :(

Sadly the woman doesnt realise she is doing wrong and wont communicate or deal with rescues. Anya and leo were removed by a lady called hazel and she told her they have been homed. The woman is willing to hand some to her if there being homed and thats the only way we can get them out.

I am struggling with funds and placements at the moment as all my fosterers are full and funds are almost zero :(

If you are a rescue and can take any of these please let me know.

Link to CatChat