Author Topic: Homechecks - what do you look for?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: Homechecks - what do you look for?
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 00:30:23 AM »
I would go with the advice already given - I have just started volunteering as a homechecker with my local CP branch but so far not put theory in to practice!! However I know from my own home checking worries that it is really about seeing how prepared you are for a cat and your living arrangements.  Obviously with a child and dogs there will only be certain cats they can re-home with you but I am sure they will discuss all that with you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 16:33:09 PM »
jaffa cakes are always welcome  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 16:29:22 PM »
The main thing I'd be concerned about is the dogs. Have they lived with cats before?  :shy: They may be friendly but will they chase if they spot something running away from them?  :innocent:

A lot goes on the quality of the tea and biscuits supplied as well. Or if you really want to wow the homechecker invest of a box of Ferrero Rocher.  :evillaugh:

One dog has lived with cats before, the other hasn't but is fine visiting houses with resident cats, he usually goes up for a sniff, gets swiped at then keeps a few feet away. :evillaugh:

I'll remember to keep stocked up on biscuits too ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 16:58:48 PM by Beth »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 16:02:09 PM »
The main thing I'd be concerned about is the dogs. Have they lived with cats before?  :shy: They may be friendly but will they chase if they spot something running away from them?  :innocent:

A lot goes on the quality of the tea and biscuits supplied as well. Or if you really want to wow the homechecker invest of a box of Ferrero Rocher.  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 15:31:40 PM »
most rescues won't home over Christmas, so if they say yes you will have time to get stuff in. I am afraid I went silly and bought endless climby things, toys, fancy litter trays and a selection of litters and trays and ....... well, the list was endless really  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I got the cat (she is my namesake and avatar  :Luv2: ) but she was a bit older than what you are looking for.

It is always nerve-wracking - I had my house as spotless as possible with a large dog in it, and lots of yet--to-be-unpacked boxes of stuff, but I was assured that myhousekeeping skills (or lack of them) were not a primary concern (although obviously there are limits ...). Good luck hun, and when your furry baby comes aboard, we would love to see her picture and also help you to help her settle in. ;D

YOu are being smart about the food/litter thing. I just bought one of everything ... :-[

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 15:28:47 PM »
Beth, most of us prefer to not answer questions like that so that less genuine people can't read them and try to use it to get a cat when they normally wouldnt pass.

Totally understandable, and i hope no one thought i was asking for that reason :scared: it's just not something i've done before so wanted some idea of what to expect.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 15:26:40 PM »
mainly attitude I think, as you seem to have covered off a fair few options well. If you give the right answers, then you should be fine. Is this your first cat? and what age group are you looking for?

This will be my first cat, tis a 4/5 month old kitten i'm hopefully going to be homechecked for. I guessed that they'd be using the opportunity to have a chat and ask questions about my life and routines etc. so that'll be fine. I just didn't want them to turn up and waste their time if i'd missed something glaringly obvious.

Would i be expected to have all the stuff ready for the cat? As i wouldn't be wanting to buy anything until firstly it was a certainty and secondly i knew what food litter etc the cat's used to and also until i'd had a chat to the fosterer and figured out what sort of toys/bedding they like. :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 15:19:56 PM »
Beth,

Don't be overanxious. When we do homechecks, we are hoping people will be OK, not looking for ways to say no  :hug:

By the sounds of it, everything will be fine.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 14:15:28 PM »
Beth, most of us prefer to not answer questions like that so that less genuine people can't read them and try to use it to get a cat when they normally wouldnt pass.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 14:10:19 PM »
mainly attitude I think, as you seem to have covered off a fair few options well. If you give the right answers, then you should be fine. Is this your first cat? and what age group are you looking for?

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Homechecks - what do you look for?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 14:06:58 PM »
I'm 99% sure my house is set up fine for a kitty, i have stairgates which a kitten should get past but dogs and toddlers can't, i'm not on a busy road and have a fairly large garden. Both dogs are friendly and toddler is reasonably well trained :evillaugh: so is that pretty much everything? What other sort of things would you look for with a home check? :)

Link to CatChat