Author Topic: volunteering  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: volunteering
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »
Mark, point out to her that she does not know how the telly works, but it does if you push the right buttons - the same applies to computers, so it should not be too hard for her to grasp.

Good analogy  :)  - I have been trying to explain that she doesn't need to understand how they work to use one.
 I think she thinks it would blow up if she pressed the wrong button  :evillaugh:

Seriously, imagine if she could do some volunatary work from home such as updating catchat pages or something - I'm sure she would get a kick out of it. She considered volunteering in a shop but is worried about her various health issues meaning she would let people down at times.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:53:24 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:08 AM »
As much as you may hate Vista (me included when I have to fix it) It has made computers easier than ever to use, and a lot harder to break which is what many new users fear most

Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
Mark, point out to her that she does not know how the telly works, but it does if you push the right buttons - the same applies to computers, so it should not be too hard for her to grasp.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
Since of our volunteers has had a computer i think her life has changed alot, she is now our fab neutering officer and all round phone person.. She is actually a dab hand at email etc... and did go an buy a lovely new (but Vista) PC.. The branch would be less well off without her
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 22:48:33 PM »
Thanks Rob,

I will make some calls next week and see if I can get her booked onto a taster  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 22:51:47 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 21:19:25 PM »
The tasters sessions (3x2hr) are usually one on one but Age Concern do do classes for more in depth things, plus they do lots of other things too, most of my clients have been over 70 :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 21:09:17 PM »
I wish I could convince her - she is 70 next year so she should get it free. Also it will get her out of the house and she may even meet a few wrinklies and possibly even a male one  ;)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 20:54:12 PM »
well she could go do the taster sessions at her local Age Concern, where we teach how to send an email, turn on and off, browse the web, etc and like many of my clients then decide if she should get a PC :)

hth

edit: forgot to add completly free, unless she is under 50 :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 20:55:53 PM by hOrZa »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 20:46:15 PM »
We have been trying to get my mum to get a computer but she thinks you have to understand computers to work one  :Crazy: - I have told her about courses but can't get past her thinking you need to be a rocket scientist to send an email  :evillaugh:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 20:40:20 PM »
I am a volunteer for Age Concern, I go in and teach IT.

It is great :)

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 20:36:31 PM »
Sent you a PM and an email to your email addy as given on yor profile.  ;D

Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 20:26:03 PM »
Not far from you then, Linton Nr Swad. Will send you a PM in a minute!  :wow:

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 19:52:39 PM »
hi. i am south derbyshire. i live in a small village called donisthorpe. i had an email from somebody at the burton rescue. and she said that they are only a small branch and that they are closed for christmas now, but will keep my detailes on file and be in touch if ever needed. obviously with christmas coming up its probably not the best time as i know a lot of places stop rehoming, hopefully will have some luck in the new year. if theres any need for help at where you volunteer after christmas then i would love to know, or just even to find out more. thanks.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 18:39:12 PM »
Christina

I work full time, still have a child at home and do hold down another two volunteer posts as well as my rescue work.

I live in Derbyshire so if you are at the South Derbyshire end then you are welcome to have a chat with me about life as a volunteer and we are always after volunteers anyway.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 15:54:14 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys. like i said i work full time, so dont have a lot of free time, but if others can do it im sure i can. like youve all said as long as your honest from the start about what you can do, then everybody knows where you stand. i like to think im a reliable person, so hopefully there will be somewhere where i can get involved with some kind of volunteering in the near future. thanks again!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 21:35:55 PM »
I think it's great that you're volunteering and if your local branch is a good branch then they will accomodate however much or little you can manage. I am a teacher and work full time (leave house at 7am and get home at 6.30) so I only have my evenings and weekends free. I am currently lost and found coordinator, do home visits and also a whole host of other things when needed. There is also a strong possibility that I will be taking ver homing very shortly and I manage this quite easily without it completely taking over my life. It's a case of being orgainsed, being honest about how much you can reasonably do, not saying you can do things you really can't, building up your role slowly to 'ease you in'. Communication is also important as Sharon says.... noone should expect you to do more than you can manage but you muct let people know if you can/ can;'t do something.
I hope it goes well 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 20:54:54 PM »
I think the one word that is key as Sharon says is RELIABILITY.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 20:39:49 PM »
I receive emails from HQ about volunteering and usually reply the same day.. or at least leave message on their phones. On Monday i had 2 requests and replied that evening. but they didnt get back to me until Thurs.. ! I left messages and send two emails.. They did get back tome but you can imagine sometimes why we do so much when we receive request to volunteer and then dont hear anything more..

However, when we do find a fab vol (and reliability is important) there are like gold dust... It doesnt matter how much time you can spare, the issue is doing what you say, you will do, as at least in our branch it has so many repussions on half a dozen other people if one doesnt..and they we all get the hebbieyebies because it takes more work to organise to do it..and we all get worn out.. For instance.. if we ask someone to answer our phones on a Monday and they dont then the person on Tues has to deal with double the work. Of course we are volunteers and if you are unable to do something its fine but  you have to let other people know...

As a branch we are getting better at finding good people and some just help us now again and some do major large projects. I recently sent an email out a few weeks ago to ask if anyone could help do photographs of cats and i had 3 responses, so they are now all listed as branch photographers.. and all seems to be going well.

We desperately want a transport co ordinator and i will bend over backwards to find one that is realiable,, but so far we  havent found that person.. Fingers crossed though
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 21:00:49 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 20:32:56 PM »
i havent heard back from anybody yet. but only submitted the form online 2 days ago

It takes time, as CP HQ send the form out to the local CP group and ask them to contact you direct. To hurry things up a bit perhaps you could contact the Co-ordinator of your nearest group yourself.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 17:15:32 PM »
ok thanks for that i will have a look at them!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 14:16:24 PM »
Hi Christine,

Volunteering takes many different forms - not just the hands on animal care.  You can help by raising funds, helping with the website  maintenance etc so don't worry if you only have a few hours to spare.

If your local  CP doesn't need any help at the moment don't be disheartened .... there are lots of rescues out there and I'm sure there will be one that will snap you up.  Why not check out the rescues on these links and see if any of them needs help: 

Derbys:  http://www.catchat.org/adoption/derbys.html

Notts:  http://www.catchat.org/adoption/notts.html

Good luck  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
volunteering
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 14:01:43 PM »
hi all,
        just after a bit of advice really on volunteer work. ive been thinking about volunteering for a while now, and the other dday i was on the cp website when i saw the volunteering section and filled out the form for it. i work full time during the weekdays, but have evenings and weekends free, i have a car and drivers licence so would be glad to help with any transport to vets or houses etc.
really, just wondering if this is the best way to go about getting into volunteering? i havent heard back from anybody yet. but only submitted the form online 2 days ago. do you think i would still be able to volunteer even though i dont really have much free time?(afew hours a week really). is there anywhere else i should have gone to enquire about it?   i dont really know much about it, or what to expect, but id love to get involved and help in someway. any advice apreciated thanks. im in the east midlands area by the way, derbyshire.

Link to CatChat