Author Topic: What shall i do about blind daisy!?UPDATE  (Read 5684 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: What shall i do about blind daisy!?UPDATE
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 22:24:05 PM »
Oscar is fine with my stairs too and whilst he came here whilst he prob had some vision, I have been a bad Mum and had to move furniture as we are getting a new kitchen fitted. This hasn't fazed Oscar at all and whilst he does sometimes look as if he is going to bank into something, those whiskers come in handy and he doesn't. The other night he did get stuck on the stairs though as we had put a box at the top of the stairs - just at one side and he obvioulsy couldn't see the other side was clear and just stood nose pressed to the box wondering where it came from!

You might be surprised and wee puss might be fine with stairs with a we hand the first time on them - as Mark states they can be very adaptable! :Luv2:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 17:39:02 PM »
My mum's cat, Sukie managed fine with stairs but she was 6 months old when she went blind so I suppose she knew her way by sight beforehand. I think people would be suprised how well they cope. It's so sad but cats just get on with life - just the way it should be  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 22:50:24 PM »
The flat gentlemen did go and see Daisy but decided not to take her as he couldnt commit to giving her his under divided attention. He had never had a blind cat before so i think was put off by her situatioin and also because she is a senior puss..  I have been honest with people, 5 people contacted me over the weekend and none were suitable due to being at work full time or living in big house with stairs that the fosterer thinks she would not cope with...

Daisy could be with us for months.. but we can only but try.

However. i know have a person looking to take a indoor puss cat on (the man in the flat) whats to be considered for this.. He is retired and was abit put off by FIV so a senior indoor house cat could work...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 22:08:18 PM »
Daisy is with a nice, indoor fosterer who is taking extra care of her.  :briggin:

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 21:59:25 PM »
So what is the situation with Daisy at the moment? Is she with a foster Mum?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 20:49:15 PM »
Sorry Martha, senior moment!
Michelle yes indeed but it didnt work out for Daisy as they were okay with a blind puss but deaf as well was to much. I do mention Foal but it think its just to far for some folks to go to, if its not on their doorstep people dont travel. I have the same problem when i give out Bredhurst details as its impossible to get to via public transport. Many senior people dont drive so its a problem..

i thought you were going with the indoor home with the gentleman ?

Yes sadly people want everything handed to them on a plate, its a shame people cant put themselves out abit and travel

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 20:31:26 PM »
Personally I think Daisy would be better in the upstairs flat anyway. Being out in a garden, even an enclosed garden would mean she would have to cope with a changing environment, which is not good when you are blind and can't see why there is an obstacle in your path. better to be indoors with a constant companion, with furniture and smells you are familiar with. Outdoors would be very stressful, I would have thought if you were a cat who had no hearing or sight ...

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 20:21:57 PM »
Sorry Martha, senior moment!
Michelle yes indeed but it didnt work out for Daisy as they were okay with a blind puss but deaf as well was to much. I do mention Foal but it think its just to far for some folks to go to, if its not on their doorstep people dont travel. I have the same problem when i give out Bredhurst details as its impossible to get to via public transport. Many senior people dont drive so its a problem..

I am still trying to contact the man that lives in the flat, left a message for him to ring me. so fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 20:55:38 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 20:08:58 PM »
Update.. unbelievably i now have had another call. This time a retired elderly couple who iive in a bungalow with a enclosed garden.. Didnt seem to be put off at all...

I need to speak to the foster and welfare people.  But i would like to think we could rehome 2 cats here... ! But i only have one suitable candidate so if anyone know of a home that is needed for a senior puss cat in need pls let me know... !!

Sharon,
FoalFarm is bursting, could you point this couple in their direction ?
I know Foal has helped you out a few times.
Honestly they are really struggling.....just before i got there someone dumped an old cat in reception and left !
Every house and hospital room is being used.

Offline Mouse2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 16:53:37 PM »
Sharon is already helping me re home another cat.Thanks.

I just took a chance when you mentionend you were looking for anther senior puss.

Foster parents are not very desperate to home her......so I do not want to try too hard to find her a new home.......

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 16:04:34 PM »
I think Martha was posting her n your thread Sharon as you said you were after another senior puss for  :-:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 15:56:43 PM »

Martha. I think you need to start a new thread for Lilly.. Its not going to be noticed here.. You need to post under Rehoming the child board above..

Offline Mouse2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 15:44:29 PM »
We have senior cat that needs home with HAWS - WEST LONDON before XMAS. She is a snorer........

http://www.haws-animals.org.uk/

(F) LILY - Aka Smith

13yr old tortie girl in beautiful condition with a lovely thick & soft coat. She has a very endearing look about her. A very nice and good natured cat who is ok with children. She is extremely talkative and chirrups and chirps to you a lot when you pet her or talk to her. She likes to be near you on the sofa and loves to nudge up to you. Unfortunately her 'other half' recently passed away of a tumour but she may still like to make company with another feline friend. Before they came to HAWS they were taken to our vet to be put to sleep but the vet refused as they were both in good health, and asked if we would take them in. She has always been an indoor cat but may be interested in a garden if one was available. She's a very placid cat so either way she will be happy. (RHB-D&P-SH-KJ-D&P070408/13Y)

Update from foster home: She has always been so sweet and easy going, but her personality has really came out since Barnaby (her partner) died. I think she'd probably be fine with another cat, but she seems really content being on her own and has become so much more outgoing.She seems to prefer female company. She likes my partner and will get attention from him, but she follows me around and stares at me, which she doesn't do to him. She also seems a bit more jumpy around him, which may be because he's bigger. She's a huge snorer, and I think may even be getting louder. She was sleeping outside my bedroom in the hall the other night, and woke me up with her snoring! It's quite amazing how loud she can be. The drooling when happy also continues. :)

Foster home going away after Xmas so would be nice to find Lilly a new home before then.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 13:08:11 PM »
that's great news Sharon!  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »
oooh how exciting ... good luck in finding the right kitties for each adopter  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »
Update.. unbelievably i now have had another call. This time a retired elderly couple who iive in a bungalow with a enclosed garden.. Didnt seem to be put off at all...

I need to speak to the foster and welfare people.  But i would like to think we could rehome 2 cats here... ! But i only have one suitable candidate so if anyone know of a home that is needed for a senior puss cat in need pls let me know... !!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What shall i do about blind daisy!?
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »
I agree too my Schui is deaf and Byron's sight is going, they very rarely go out, Schui only chooses to go in 2 rooms (as did Smokey and Timmy our oldies before - I think this makes them feel secure) with love, warmth and food I imagine Daisy should be very happy.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:59:00 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
TBH Sharon if this chap is aware of her problems and is able to provide a nice warm lap for her I would probably be inclined to give it a go.

I also agree, I would jump at the chance of that home.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 23:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the posts. I will get things moving on this one tomorrow.. Talking it over its probably going to be okay..

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 23:00:04 PM »
It sounds an ideal option to me and agree with the others comments.  You can always follow up with him to make sure things are OK and be on stand by for advice if he needs it?
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 21:25:26 PM »
This sounds ideal -
Small place with someone at home ....

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 21:22:21 PM »
I think it will be good, as touch is one of the best stimulations and blind/deaf cats benefit from lots of it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 19:13:06 PM »
I think this sounds an ideal place for her to be, especially if she has been indoor only at a fosterers  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 18:53:44 PM »
I tend to agree. She might actually feel more secure in a smaller place. As long as she is getting plenty of attention, a warm bed and a full belly, she will be happy there I think
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 18:48:20 PM »
I'd say if this bloke is prepared to put some effort into making life nice for Daisy, that's what is important. If she can still smell okay, there's lots of ways an imaginative person can make life enjoyable in a small area.

My two have a three bedroom house to explore, plus garden, but rarely move from their radiator perch.  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 18:44:41 PM »
I would agree with Sam, he will be absolutely fine and will probably just want a warm bed, cuddles and food  :hug:   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 18:40:58 PM »
TBH Sharon if this chap is aware of her problems and is able to provide a nice warm lap for her I would probably be inclined to give it a go.

As a senior puss she will probably be happy just eating, sleeping and being cuddled.

• Super Cat
What shall i do about blind daisy!?UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 16:13:59 PM »
Thoughts pls. I have had a call about a poss home for Daisy. Daisy is senior puss cat that may be totally blind and after talking to the fosterers she may not hear very well. The potential home is a top floor flat, no kids or other animals. One man on his own that is semi retired. Flat has enclosed balcony etc.. Trouble is if Daisy is blind and deaf this means her senses are minimual and with an indoor home she may be safe etc but would that be the best home for her.>? Or what the care that this man can give her compensate for the environment she may be in.. ? I talked to the foster and Daisy does not seem to respond to toys and sounds but does seem to be aware that you are around.. We are going to see how she reacts going outside in a garden while supervised for a little while as well. Although its unreallistic for her to go as an outdoor cat i just worry that a cat that has 2 senses that are no longer 100 percent a home where she is confided even more is the way to go.. Or whether i should hold onto a home where there are other cats around, enclosed garden etc. etc..

This man sounds very nice and does nto work so he would have time for her, but its not a big flat and there are only so many ways to walk round a flat, and of course Daisy cannot see out the window so the sense of smell is the only sense that works well..

Really difficult one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have just taken in Daisy after she was found as a stray and taken to our vets.. She is tabby a dear soul and although seems in good condition, she does have a eyesight problem and may not see much at all.

She has had all the tests and confirms that other then her eyes she seems in good condition for her age, which could be around 15yrs old. She is currently with one of our indoor fosterers and we wanted to make sure she had some TLC after being a stray for virtually all summer.

Going to be h ard to rehomoe Daisy but not impossible. Photo to comes but pls do spare a thought of a puss cat that needs a lovely retirement home in her advancing years. She has been vac and is chipped.

Anyone with a quiet home would be fine for Daisy all she wants to do is sit on your lap and she seems to of adjusted well to her disability. She uses the litter tray fine.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:09:29 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Link to CatChat