Author Topic: THE WONDER OF THE MICO-CHIP  (Read 3710 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: THE WONDER OF THE MICO-CHIP
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 13:52:02 PM »
then you will know they have an owner, who you can report for neglect. Any rescue will be able to lend a trap if you want to catch them earlier, but I would leave that part to the rescue.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 13:46:04 PM »
Now i am scheming  :sneaky:

If they have got a home, they are not responsible puddy parents  :censored:

As tehy should not be allowed to roam the streets how they do !!

I know when they are about coz mine run about.

The tortie will prob be the problem to get hold of, but its the tabby thats out the most, and thru the night.

But what if they are chipped, like the poor baby at the start of this thread?
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 13:35:55 PM »
you may be able to line something up with your local rescue (don't tell them the whole story, but just that these kittens are in your garden, you are happy to keep feeding them but would want them removed in the longer term. That way, if you keep nagging them, they will come get them when they have a spare run or fosterer. If you were to take them into your house, you could keep them in a room separate from your own cats (I would do that anyway to reduce stress and cross-infection) and they would be safe and dry and warm ...

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 13:29:46 PM »
Oh i have thought about that many times   :sneaky:
But i couldnt keep any here, because mine sit on the window (to close to home)
(so where could they go)

I know i could catch the little tabby, but the tortie runs as soon as she is spotted. But the cheeky thing will stare at me thru my window, bless.
but as soon as i move , that it she's off.

Im just so concerned & worried sick & get stressed about them its bloomin bitter cold at night, and thick ice on the cars.

Poor little babies   :(
and

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 13:18:52 PM »
yes, I think they could legitimately be taken to be strays  :evillaugh:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 13:11:59 PM »
What a shame it would be if they got lost ;)
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
The little tortie is now sheltering in my back garden  :( , its lashin down with rain & the snow its melting so its slushy.

Not seen the tabby tho. (she would run to me if was there)

I dont know the house where they are supposed to belong, or do they come around here as neighbours feed them.

My sister told me the tabby has been out since it was tiny !!!
and

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
A kitten should never be outside,

I would agree and we always ask that they are kept in at least in cat safe (ish) areas until they have been neutered/spayed. It is also surprising how many kittens that are unchipped  seem to go missing. It is not unheard of for one family to lose loads over a period of time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:18:57 PM by Ela »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 11:51:46 AM »
A kitten should never be outside, unsupervised. Apart from anything else, if it comes in season before it is neutered it would be having kittens itself before fully grown. My lot do have access to the outdoors during the day, through the catflap, but they use their commonsense and just leave wet muddy footprints as they make themselves comfy on whatever washing I have forgotten to put away, lol

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »
Poor baby out all day in the cold.  There are 2 in my street out all the time in all weather, even 4am when im up on early starts.
(maybe they use a cat flap, but surly in this weather etc they should lock it (just my thouhts)
The little tabby n white girl is so friendly and just wantin loves. She even sits on my oh's knee when he gets in his car. And she comes for treats.
But the tortie is very nervous, ive tried gettin close to her bet she runs. I put treats out for her tho.
But the tortie comes & sits on my window

Breaks my heart to see them wandering in the cold. But i do know that a few people in the street feed the tabby baby. She is quite small aswell.

They were even out on fireworks night !!!!!!!!!

and

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
irritating in this instance, but good in the long term for those with long-lost moggies ...

I would agree. It is the only downside I can think of.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
irritating in this instance, but good in the long term for those with long-lost moggies ...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
I suggest next time it turns up you just don't bother getting in touch

That is the down side of a chip. More and more vets are nowadays scanning before the treat any new cat, so it would not be able to be homed.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
well from the childs reaction it certainly sounds as if the mother is teaching wonderful values about how to treat and see animals!! :censored:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Karen-covcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »

Oh that poor kittten it worries me what is goimng to happen to him. And you got to think of that nice man he probably had a nasty shock when he really ran him over. You have to think its not just the cats you have to think about in these kinds of situations its also the humans. I know many a time i have nearly had a accident panicking to avoid some animal in the road. And i dont know how id cope if i ever did hit and hurt anything id be devastated.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »
Oh Ela.  What a nightmare for you.  Fantastic that the kitten was unharmed and the nice man was concerned and brought it to you to find its home but ..................... what is that woman thinking!  Poor Alfie, being left out on a busy road.  I just hope it doesn't happen again to him!!!!!!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »
amazing :Crazy: they go to all the trouble of microchipping the kitten then treat it like a disposable toy  >:( I suggest next time it turns up you just don't bother getting in touch >:(

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:37:21 AM »
oh Ela, it must be so frustrating I'd just have to say you mustn't let it out.  Tbh that's 1 thing that annoys me when cats are homed near busy roads  >:(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
THE WONDER OF THE MICO-CHIP
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »
Yesterday afternoon a man rang to say he had almost ran over a kitten, so he picked it up and took it home. I advised him what he needed to do and he asked me if I could lend him a cat basket so he could take it to the vets to see if it was chipped. I said as he was coming for the basket, was they any way her could get the kitten to me (he did not live too far away) and I would scan it for him. I scanned the little one and fortunately it was chipped and I was then able to find out the owners details within minutes. I tried to ring them but there was no answer so I advised the finder that he may as well leave the kitten with me and I would place it in a pen until I could get the owner. To be honest when she did come for him although she seemed very nice she did not seem to know she lived in a road that is so busy and we actually would never consider to home an indoor/outdoor cat there. Also the kitten (Alfie) was only 5 months old and all she kept say was he always comes running when I pull up in the car, so obviously he is out all day while she is at work. I did try to talk to her but I could tell she was not really interested or taking on board what I was saying. I did in the end say if you continue to let him out he will most certainly be killed. Then her daughter who was a delight aged about 6 or 7, said sweetly, we thought he had already been killed on the road.

Link to CatChat