Author Topic: Unable to cope - cats free to collectors  (Read 12644 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Unable to cope - cats free to collectors
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »
Why do my posts always bring a thread to an end?  :scared:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 08:55:18 AM »
I get concerned from the opposite point of view: that the people who want my rescues have a hidden agenda. This was drawn to my attention last year, when I rehomed Fred's gang (Fred lives here permanently) and I googled how to homecheck and generally suss out people interested in the cat's. To quote part of one of the items I downloaded:

"It is important to make you aware that there are unscrupulous people who operate in rings to collect cats, dogs and other animals for abusive situations. The danger is that these people appear to be animal lovers and could easily fool you. They sometimes bring children to portray a "perfect family" image. Therefore, it is important to check all references, ..... and do a home check BEFORE releasing an animal into a strager's care. Follow-up checks are also necessary.
What could happen to an animal from a "Free To Good Home" ad?
-Tortured or killed by animal abusers
-Sold to research labs for experiments
-Used as bait for fighting dogs
-Victims of neglect
-Used as free food for snakes or other animals...."

This really scared me. There was one couple who I couldn't homecheck, as they lived too far away, but they were vouched for by one of the Purrs rescue members. I occasionally get in touch with the people who've had my rescues and request pictures, partly just to see how they're getting on, and partly to make sure they're living in a family home.

It amazes me that anyone can make money from rescue, though; it costs a bloomin' fortune! The four I have now have cost lots in vet bills as three of them had flu. But I suppose that unscrupulous people wouldn't bother with treatment.  :'(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 23:35:17 PM »
I agree with you Mark, I dont see having a baby as a good enough reason to give up an animal  ;D Personally I cannot get my head around some of the stupid things people say why they need to rehome.

I also agree that people can get stuck in a rut and need to rehome their beloved friend for some reason, sometimes the reason is for the animals happiness.

Although if you read properly you will see Mark did say the majority, which I have to agree with.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 23:07:37 PM »
you are right often too difficult  :(

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 22:56:51 PM »
Points taken. I suppose i call it that i tell people they can ring for updates and if they do they get updates... But i can see that some people may find it difficult to do.. But still it happens now again and those i suppose i think are the caring ones.. We have just taken in 2 kittens now 6 months old that we rehomed in teh summer the husband wanted to keep them (lovely cats now) but the wife was adament as she was preg and she said they were messing everywhere. They have since been rehomed.. and the hubby was in tears when he handed them over to us but non one has rang me to ask how they are doing.. Perhaps its just difficult... but still
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 22:49:03 PM »
I have to say that when I have a hand in the logistics of bringing a cat in, I do say folks are welcome to call me personally if they're worried. Most of them want to be assured puss will be okay at the time. Only one person has called for an update so far - about 2 months down the line - and we had so many cats in and cats out I couldn't for the life of me remember which cat they were talking about.  :-[ "Little black and white stray" doesn't ring any bells.  :-: I made something up and they went away happy.  :innocent:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 21:05:12 PM »
I agree with BC, my friend had to reluctantly rehome a cat due to a housemove and she still finds it painful 6 years later to talk about her, if she had rang to see how she was doing, she would have ended up a blubbering wreck and probably wanting to go and pick her back up. We dont discourage it, and I keep in touch with the rescues I have adopted from - and even rang my own on Molly's third anniversary of being here, but we would end up with hundreds of calls a year just from people who either wanted to tell us about their cats or to see how the stray they had found was doing, which would leave less time for the calls about cats that need us. i do try and do follow ups though, although one of my bad habits is losing the telephone number!! They do rarely ring me up though and only a small number of the cats we adopt out keep in touch.

I think it is all to easy for us to be negative due to what we see, and probably more so as the year comes to an end and we are all so desperate for a break, as it has been an incredibly tough year and I doubt next year will be better. My call the other day about someone who adopted one of my cats highlights that there are positives out there, we just dont always see them because they wouldnt be needing us if they were keeping the cat.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 18:06:05 PM »
Sharon, I think you will find that making the decision to part with a loved family member is difficult enough. I for one would never follow up if I had to make that decision, basically because it would be too painful. Most rescues, in fact, when taking responsibility for someone's pet that is being relinquished, discourage any further contact.

I agree totally with what bc has said here and one stray who moved in with me in London I had to have rehomed, which broke my heart, even to the point I wanted him back a few hours later. Its still painful to think of and Cp did not want me ringing up about him.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 16:15:00 PM »
Most rescues, in fact, when taking responsibility for someone's pet that is being relinquished, discourage any further contact.

Not necessarily BC... we are quite happy for people to call in afterwards to find out what has happened or check our website.  Obviously we don't recommend that they visit!  In genuine cases we find it has put their mind at rest to know what has happened to their kitty.  Thos who generally don't check back in are those that couldn't really be bothered i the first place and see the cat as a 'object' rather than a life.

I think it's a tragedy if even one trust is betrayed. That's what stinks. How can we tell people NOT to advertise their pets on pre****, and to wait for rescues instead, when we cannot be certain all rescues are respectable? Their deception tarnishes us all.  :'( :'(

Sorry... not feeling very positive right now.  :(

don't be sorry Julie.  sadly there are many 'rescues' that operate in ways that many of us here on Purrs may not deem to be 'appropriate' and it is happening all over the UK.  I think some people see the ads etc on these ad sites and think there is lots of money in it and take advantage.  The thing that does bother me is when rescue's start using these sites too as a main means of rehoming.

I don't think a situation like this can even be called 'rescue' as it would appear from the information available that it is more along the lines of an animal trader! :censored:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 21:20:25 PM »
I have had all my cats except Winston from rescues ( his owners didn''t want him anymore -reason -they were moving !!??, and had been asking around and someone put a note through my door about him and the phone number - i rang immedietly and fetched him a couple of hours later .
Bungly from Chapel House - i kept in touch with Cheryl up to recently and gave her updates without her asking, Sophie came from Stockport  CP when i lived up near Manchester and i still keep in touch with Jackie and she gets Sophies updates now.
Smartie from Lincoln Cp and they have updates and FiFi as you may know came from Dawn , who brought her to me and i updated her and on the site.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 21:11:00 PM »
am not ashamed to say - i had a very small hand in sorting out the Hillgrove farm cats in Oxford a few years back if anyone remembers !

I certainly remember - I live in the next village. I do hope you were not one of the protesters that let off the fireworks there at three am ???  :sneaky:

No, unfortunately i didn''t actually go down there -  don''t think i could have controlled my temper if i had and didn''t want to get arrested and leave my cats with no meowmmy !
I spent lots of time on the phone though , especially to Mr Brown , explaing what i thought and what was going to happen to him if he carried on ! :sneaky: :rofl:

I have a couple af animal rights people near me , if any more help is needed too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 21:12:08 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 20:06:49 PM »
I think it's a tragedy if even one trust is betrayed. That's what stinks. How can we tell people NOT to advertise their pets on pre****, and to wait for rescues instead, when we cannot be certain all rescues are respectable? Their deception tarnishes us all.  :'( :'(

Sorry... not feeling very positive right now.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2008, 19:55:20 PM »
One lady we took in a elderly puss cat and she got rehomed in a few weeks

Library cat?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 19:45:42 PM »
am not ashamed to say - i had a very small hand in sorting out the Hillgrove farm cats in Oxford a few years back if anyone remembers !

I certainly remember - I live in the next village. I do hope you were not one of the protesters that let off the fireworks there at three am ???  :sneaky:

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 19:26:55 PM »
Good point Blackcat.. I am however happy to tell if a cat has been rehomed and give them some ending to it all. But i can see what you are coming from.. I havent got time to do this more then once or twice but usually by the second call they are okay.. I have had a few tears at the end of the phone but all seemed very happy to know and give closure.. I expect its just a matter of time and our resources. But the lady in the transit van with her cats was particularly difficult as she needed help herself but still found the time to ring up about her cats.. I was happy to tell her that they both got rehomed.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 19:19:57 PM »
Sharon, I think you will find that making the decision to part with a loved family member is difficult enough. I for one would never follow up if I had to make that decision, basically because it would be too painful. Most rescues, in fact, when taking responsibility for someone's pet that is being relinquished, discourage any further contact.

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 19:17:52 PM »
While i agree kind of what you are saying Blackcat, very few people that i have rehomed cats from this year from one form or anotehr have actually rang me afterwards to see how their cat was and if it has been rehomed. Of course never give out the details but i am able to give them an update on things and let them know when they got rehomed.

I can count only 5. One the lady had to give up her 2 young cats due to her having a premature baby.. One lady we took in a elderly puss cat and she got rehomed in a few weeks, one gentlemen whose son cat didnt get on with his. The son left home and left the dad to cope, he got rehomed. One cat found by someone in a ditch injured, got fixed up and rehomed (the person that found the cat rang up twice! to see how he was).. And a recent case of two cats living in a transit van, she gave the both up as couldnt cope. Both cats got rehomed she called me twice.

I dont remember any more...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 19:09:20 PM »
There are exceptions but I still believe the majority do it without good and genuine reasons - ie more than half at least. I don't count having a baby etc as good reasons.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 19:13:57 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 19:06:34 PM »
actually Mark, I would take issue with that comment. You see the worst case scenarios simply because they are the ones that end up in rescue. There are lot of people who care a lot where their beloved pet ends up. They are not always neglectful, uncaring people. I do think it is very easy to be judgemental about these situations, but anyone, even the most caring people can find themselves in a tight situation. I personally found myself in that situation when moving over here. Someone who had promised to care for shadow let me down at the eleventh hour and i found myself wondering what the heck I could do. I was the lucky one in that another friend stepped forward. Had that not happened, I would have been in a real fix - bad things happen to people daily. If we want to stop that, then the first place to stop is by being less judgemental, and not assuming we are dealing with heartless idiots, until they have demonstrated that this is what they are.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 19:05:19 PM »
I was thinking on Purrs... and also sixfurballs post

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 19:00:36 PM »
Sadly the majority of people that give up cats probably aren't too interested where they go  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 18:39:36 PM »
Think this highlights just how important it is to know exactly who you are sending cats to  :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 16:42:41 PM »
Will do.  :)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »
Julie if possible could you PM me some more details on this. I moderate on a forum in Northern Ireland attempting to bring rescue together with people wanting to adopt pets. NIAR and a similar site for Ireland see a lot of animals go across the water as better chance of rehoming. I think perhaps the admins of the sites would like to made aware of this situation as someone to watch out for.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
I did think about contacting some animal rights groups and asking to compare these names but then again, thought better of it. If they had the evidence now, they would have acted independantly.

I'll put a few feelers out amongst the AR's that I know if you want  :hug:

It wouldn't do any harm to run the names quietly past other folks we trust, would it?  ;) Thanks, Dawn. Obviously, we want to be careful not to risk legal actions, etc.  :innocent:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
I did think about contacting some animal rights groups and asking to compare these names but then again, thought better of it. If they had the evidence now, they would have acted independantly.

I'll put a few feelers out amongst the AR's that I know if you want  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
OMG this makes me feel physically sick - they could be stealing peoples loved pets as well as these poor stray and unwanted babies.  I am miles away but if I can help in any way please let me know.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »
The problem is this has probably out reached the abilities of any one branch or group. Certainly Rhonda CP says they've realised all they can do is concentrate on their own patch. They are rabid neuterers and say their best hope is depriving these people of 'stock'. Another concerned person on another forum also has contacts with Cardiff CP, who being from a major city haven't spotted this on their own patch yet but are following with interest.

The only hopes of getting a proper investigation going is to persuade BSU to take this on and maybe put pressure on the RSPCA to do the same. These people hide behind other groups poor communications and cooperation. It needs someone with a regional and national base to look at county patterns, not just us small branches. How many cats has Purrs alone transported across the country this past year? No one knows. Therefore no one know how many pets are taken from loving homes who can no longer keep them and sold on to their terrible fates by these monsters.  >:( I shall need all my debating skills for the letter.  :evillaugh:

I haven't got the time or finances to devote to a rolled up sleeves dig into this. And why did this surface NOW 2 weeks before Crimbo. I certain pick some fights, don't I? :rofl:

What we really need is a journalist who fancies a bit of a scoop. Some proper surveillance on these names will soon reveal enough I suspect. Must be better than fishing through Posh and Becks dustbin? :sneaky:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 07:29:38 AM »
Sounds awful, hope there's something we can do  :(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:21 AM »
If there is enough evidence and the authorities can't or won't act, maybe animal rights people should be involved?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »
This is sickening but have to say I am not surprised!

I am not sure what can be done to stop these places cos rescues dont need licences and nobody checks who is bonafide until proof of ill doing is recorded.

I am in SW Wales if I can help at all with transport but why do I think she is just clearing the decks for the next installment!

There are very few CP Branches and none West of me. I know that CP Swansea uses fosters and is always chocablock. CP Bridgend did have some places earlier in the year but does not have a 'no kill' policy I was told, so any FIV cats are pts.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 01:19:43 AM »
I have tried to find online, existing references to this woman linking her to either the TV report or current activities and there aren't any. Nor of the other names in the area mentioned to me. :shy: The Cook Report is now well over a decade old and Wiki only mentions a handful of subjects.

I can now say one of the puds removed by a rescue from Birmingham at the weekend was 20 years old and believed to be hyper thyroid. No wonder why the poor soul wasn't wanted.  :innocent: I do also have information from someone whose cousin runs a pet stall selling food stuffs and toys. The stall holder used to help raise funds for this woman until she was asked to sell kittens and split the profit 50/50. The stall holder declined. I bet some others she asked didn't, though.  :tired:

I don't think we have a one woman Burke and Hare here but someone prepared to cash in on homeless cats and dogs in any and every way possible.  >:( The real problem seems to be there's a small hardcore of these types in the area who spring up under new rescue names all the time, offering to take cats from Free to a good home ads or unwanted kittens, etc. And it's not just this one area, this must be going on in a lot of deprived places. >:( >:( Multiplied, it's causing us all problems as rescue is getting global and cats are shifted all over the country to bona fide rescues who take pity. These people are using up resources on our own doorsteps by their continual dealing and dumping.  :tired: And I cannot bear to think about the ones that aren't dumped on us.  :'( :'(

I will put together a letter to BSU tomorrow. (Branch support unit). This is way, way bigger than little moi can handle.  :evillaugh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 00:38:53 AM »
If i knew who it was - there would be big trouble !!!!
 this person wants sending to a bloody university for experimenting on - :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
I am not ashamed to say - i had a very small hand in sorting out the Hillgrove farm cats in Oxford a few years back if anyone remembers !

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 00:37:50 AM »
I would and am willing to join you if there is any truth in these rumours. I am willing to shed blood if any of these kind of things are happening  >:(

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 23:50:21 PM »
Just as well you can't be too public hun, 'cos if I knew her name...........well.....the result would NOT be pretty  >:(

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 22:08:46 PM »
really really makes you feel sick. poor poor babies! :censored: :censored:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 21:40:07 PM »
Oh God, what an evil world we live in :( :( :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 21:32:23 PM »
As I say, I'd best be a tad careful, ginge, but I don't have anything here in my notes to contradict you with. :'(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 21:34:04 PM by Pinkbear (Julie) »

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 21:10:47 PM »
So whats happening to these cats then? are they being sold for experiments, meat trade I dread to think >:( , dare I ask do they take pets as well all in the name of rescue!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 20:49:45 PM »
I do have to be careful what I say onlist, cc. I'll PM you.  ;)

Link to CatChat