Author Topic: Phone call today - update - Smudge Poorly  (Read 11868 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Phone call today - update - Smudge Poorly
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 21:27:47 PM »
Fingers crossed for Smudge  :hug:  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 19:58:03 PM »
Sharon told me that Smudge is much better and may have a home lined up  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »
I remember I said I wasn't happy with it being used long term but I'm sure it would be safe to use for a short period.

Here is some medical info on the ingredient http://www.ophsource.org/periodicals/ophtha/medline/record/MDLN.7583874

This is probably better as it is applied topically and not intended as a drink http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1425

One of the reasons I didn't like aquadent is because it must kill of friendly bacteria in the gut as well as bad bacteria?

Sharon - I need to put a VetUK order in today or tomorrow so let me know and I will add this to it if you think it would help. I'm sure Caroline would be OK applying it.

They also sell cat toothbrushes.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:33:21 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
I can't actually see the bottle from here, and Molly is on my arm so I cant move, but when I posted about it, MM and Gillian were strongly against it due to the ingredients, so I haven't actually used it since.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »
In humans with mild gingivitis, corsodyl works really well (I have used it for bleeding gums in the past) I know Desley posted about some breath freshening water for cats to drink. I would like the idea of catsd having it all the time but maybe it would help in the short-term. I can't remember what it was called. It contains something called chlorhexidine digluconate.

edit - found it. Not sure if it contains enough of the active ingredient but it may help. http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1349
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:17:04 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2009, 11:07:21 AM »
Fingers crossed - but I would be very wary of what the vet has given her, steroids shouldnt be used for gingivitis, they make the condition worse (Dr Addie has a good bit about it, and that is in caps), and the long lasting AB does nothing (if it is Convenia) - I am in the same situation with Sam, his mouth is awful, he had the same treatment, and he had to wait till they had worn off to be given Antirobe, which worked within 2 days, and I had the same with Rolo. As far as I know, dental issues isn't one of Convenia's strengths, and after two cats with bad mouths being given that and steroids, and then having to go on Antirobe to actually deal with it, I would say it isn't.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 22:23:28 PM »
That would be very good Mark.. i am sure she isnt on any meds but had a long acting steriod as well... Caroline is takng her in her spare room so we an keep an eye on her... The vets put her at 7ish...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 18:52:02 PM »
She's adorable. Hope all goes well.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 18:50:20 PM »
Glad it is something that can be treated  :)

I have some cans of Trovet senior/renal pate that she might find easier to eat. I can drop them off at Caroline's early next week

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 18:45:16 PM »
aww bless her, I do hope she picks up now  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2009, 17:56:15 PM »
Test came back okay just ginvitis (sorry bad spelling) had long acting antibotic, etc... and will go back to Carolines tomorrow.. and see how we go from there...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
Fingers crossed for Smudge
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 23:29:45 PM »
Sharon said he got a really nice home and they have been in touch  :Luv2:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 22:48:47 PM »
It said in the post - he was one I picked up when I first started volunteering. I was talking about people telling lies to jump the queue  :Crazy:

Ohhhhhh sorry  :shy:
anyway he is  :Luv2: (and i'll go back to sleep now lol)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 22:38:27 PM »
It said in the post - he was one I picked up when I first started volunteering. I was talking about people telling lies to jump the queue  :Crazy:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 22:20:42 PM »
Gosh i am confused (yes hard to believe lol)

Who is the tabby and white cat ?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 21:56:07 PM »
There has been talk of gingivitis or possibly c  :( - they are waiting for the biopsy - fingers crossed for her. She is a lovely girl. I was going to take the camera but thought it wasn't fair on her.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 21:52:35 PM »
Poor Smudge fingers crossed she soon picks up  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 21:49:06 PM »
Sharon called me this morning. Smudge has been poorly. She was at the vets all over xmas after having a tooth out. She went to Paula's (Fosterer) yesterday morning but by this morning, she hadn't eaten, had a drink or used the tray. She had also been hiding whereas previously, she had been very affectionate. I took her back to the vet and they are keeping her over the new year. She was very purry with me and rubbing her face against my hand the whole time we were in the vets.

Poor baby  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 21:49:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Phone call today.
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »
Pinkbear, I bought the Metacote trap to catch the mum and kittens just in time to treat them for cat flu. They now live in my back room. If I'd managed to borrow a trap sooner, maybe they wouldn't have had flu. Luckily, they seem to be getting better.

I understand that traps are in demand and don't mind being told that organisations don't have any to loan. But the local CP didn't say this, just "call back next week". I would have known where I stood if they'd said, "sorry, we can't help, we have no traps available."

Having my own trap is a great help, now getting neutering vouchers is proving a problem. I called the CP about this some time ago. I'm still waiting.

Mark, I wasn't suggesting that you give up rescue work, just that you have a lot going on right now and may be under extraordinary stress. You deserve a break. If you don't look after yourself, you won't be able to look after the puddies.

Sharon, there's a difference between feeling like you're banging your head against a brick wall when people just won't listen or can't be bothered when you try to persuade them to neuter, and being brusk with someone who wants to know what will happen to a cat they're concerned about, but can't keep, as seems to be the case with the woman who called Mark out.

Anyway, as I'm so new to rescue and do it on such a small scale, I don't claim to understand the difficulties faced by those of you who face it day in day out. Keep up the good work, but maybe chill sometimes.  :yawn:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 21:12:24 PM »
Our local CP ask for a deposit of £50, I had to loan one off them when I first started trapping, my cheque was ripped up once I returned the trap.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 20:09:55 PM »
My CP branch ask for a cheque for £25 that is only cashed if you dont return the trap
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 19:24:23 PM »
If people are told you dont get your deposit back if you return it dirty then its amazing how they can manage to find a hose and some disinfectant.

What deposit?  ;D Often the cats are only being dealt with after we have begged and pleaded, so we can hardly ask for a deposit when the people with the traps think they are doing us a favour.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 19:26:48 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 18:52:49 PM »
If people are told you dont get your deposit back if you return it dirty then its amazing how they can manage to find a hose and some disinfectant. Just an idea!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
I can imagine, I've had them straight after someone else and they've got dried on food and smell,

I would never hand one out that was not thoroughly clean and disinfected.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »
go on let it out Sharon!
Just a thought but on the answerphone do you have a message saying 'we will not be rehoming from such and such to....date'?

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »
I consider myself a nice person and really do try to help those that help us.. But this week has been a corker!! On Monday i got 14 calls from people wishing to give up cats and for one reason or another rang us.. I do best to help, give advise and assist but i cannot save the world.. I will always try to direct rehome cats that we cannot take in but to do that i need certain info for our website, for my benefit and to match sure i get a match.. Out of all those people i rang (one was very urgent) i told the same thing.. As it happens i never had one of those people email me details and as it happened if they had we could of helped the most urgent one... But despite me telling her to get back tome she didnt..

Sooooooooooooo i get annoyed... I also get annoyed at the stupid cow who has 8 cats of which 4 where unspayed females that she cannot cope with due to her daughter living with her and baby.. She wanted us to rehome all 4, havnt no space to do that. So i suggested we get them all spayed to stop the problem increasing and then we do 1 at the time.... She refused!! saying she didnt have the time to get them spayed (we offered to pay) and she wanted them taken into a rescue now!! I gave her a lecture on cats like her cats are part of the problem of untold of litters of cats out their and if we spayed them we want be on  a deadline of pregnancy etc.. She told me she didnt want a lecture and put the phone down on me!! Was i being unreasonable!!

Nope......i have had a "bad" week... and yes i do get so annoyed with people that fail to see we cannot save the world.. and pls do look at the bigger picture. Personally i am turning into a dragon.. but i still answer the phone... But could do with a rest.. as now i am getting the Christmas kitten calls... That drives me mad as well..

So we are all abit frazzled.. Smudge as it happens goes back to the vets next week as we still think something is amiss. The lady rang i think and we just told her that puss was okay...and left it at that.. If anyone wishes to know about cats that we have taken in i get them to ring me and if i can i will respond and ring them back or email them, but if they dont contact me i usually think they cannot be bothered!!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:21 AM »
I can imagine, I've had them straight after someone else and they've got dried on food and smell, I usually give it a good hose down it doesn't take much
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:02:56 AM by janeyk »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »
I often give the trap a clean when I get it and always before I return it.

One of the few I assure you.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 07:55:02 AM »
I often give the trap a clean when I get it and always before I return it.  The crusher cage is also wiped down and new clean towel inside and to cover if needed.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »
I do also have to point out that CP traps aren't public property but some people do treat them as such. They come back damaged, uncleaned or missing bits sometimes

Oh! yes, it is very rare for one to come back in the condition it was when loaned. I had two come back a couple of weeks ago absolutely covered in chicken poo and only this week one came back damaged and the person who borrowed it about 3 days before  (fortunately he did trap the cat). I lent one to a farmer and he loaned it to someone to take home a feral kitten, he did not know them and the trap was never returned.

We also lend out portable pens, (nowadays it large dog crates), but at one time it  was lovely pens  that were about four foot high with shelves at different levels and lovely covering on the shelves. I bought about 4 out of my own money and they cost up to £100 each. If you saw the state that some were returned you would not believe it, absolutely filthy and sometimes a whole side or the base missing. I also loan a water pot to hang on the side, they cost me about £3-- £4 each, few are ever returned, when I ask they say Oh! I forgot I will bring t back later. Like tomorrow later never comes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:59:14 AM by Ela »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 00:18:23 AM »
Has anyone successfully borrowed a trap from the RSPCA?  :shify:

:innocent:

I am not an angel and not prepared to grin and bear idiots. Anyway, I am having my op next Friday and won't be able to so much as lift a cat carrier for 6 weeks so will have an enforced break.

I must admit I'm probably a lot like you Mark, I get so  :censored: with some people and I'm expected to listen to their lies on my time and money and yes it does get to me.  When you are doing this 24/7 and no help, patience doesn't come easy plus you have the financial worries on top.  I've had a guy mithering me for weeks about trapping some ferals and I've still not managed to do them, he expects me to use my money for fuel and at the moment I just haven't got it.  He is not short and it wouldn't hurt for him to dip his hand in his pocket to finance me racing back and to catch them and getting them into the vets.  With the traps I do loan mine out but traps are in short supply and sometimes for weeks on end I have to tell people they will have to wait, this isn't to be awkward, it's a fact of life, rescues can't work miracles and if the resources aren't there, we can only use what we can.  I have 3 traps and all are usually in constant use one way or another.........one is a little knackered now so rarely catches anything but I live in hope  ;)

Mark, I would use your time to have a rest, when I had my op on my hand it was a really struggle doing anything so trapping and vet visits were last on the agenda but it did allow me to get a little rest  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 00:01:35 AM »
I don't think I would but really don't feel I need to justify being a bit frosty with someone who got me there under false pretences. I love cats but I'm not a fool and don't appreciate people treating me like an idiot. I am not an angel and not prepared to grin and bear it at any cost. Anyway, I am having my op next Friday and won't be able to so much as lift a cat carrier for 6 weeks so will have an enforced break.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 00:16:02 AM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 23:59:24 PM »
Mark could no longer adandon CP than I could be elected the next pope.  :rofl:

But there does come a time when a person needs a rest. That's the joy of having a great team behind you - you can just keep a low profile for a while. We are all feeling frazzled and strained with so many sad and serious cases chucked at us this past week, but somehow we always find a way through it.  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 21:46:37 PM »
The problem is Mark, you can't snap at people when they ask for help, however much we would like to - that is what Purrs and friends are for, to rant at later. I dont think you should give up, just smile sweetly while biting your lip and then rant later - yes, it can be very hard, but at least the cat is then safe and that is the important thing - and you never know when that smile will be remembered.
Please spay your cat

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 20:16:29 PM »
Mark please don't give up!

I have had some rough dealings with the local branch in my area - I am an incommer and have to many cats yet they never came to see me and almost blank me when I go to their coffee mornings in fact I think that they only take my food donation cause I put it on the table!  I also have my ownb traps and cruishers and all the pens needed at my expense and I lend them to folks and get a donation for my old CP branch!

However my old branch still let us help out and also provide the neutering vouchers for my outside gang not my local one so I think its swings and roundabouts on how folks are treated

We are in the unique position of being able to charity match any funds we raise so far this year £2500 and also get paid by the hour to foster so our old branch give us the odd feral and kittens and we pay them back and they like to think of us as easy money, they also know that after the set isolation period any fosters will mix with my indoor crew in fact I met a lady last weekend and she asked if we had any kittens as she wanted to add to her family and had one former feral who was in charge of her 4 alsations - our dogs know who is in charge its the cats! :shocked:

In fact my old branch misses us and I miss them to but had a great night out last weekend.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 18:14:41 PM »
HK - going back to your earlier post. Maybe volunteers are under pressure at times but we are volunteers and do the best we can. I'm sorry but when I have had a long day at uni, have exams coming up, assigments to get in, a home to run including 4 cats of my own (OH is away all week on business at the moment), all this with health problems,  maybe rather than risk getting annoyed by a timewaster, maybe I should just chill when I get a message about a cat needing medical attention and wait until I get home and just email a coordinator for it to be dealt with in due course rather than rushing off to try to help. Maybe I should just give up completely rather than offer a second rate service to the deserving public.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 15:30:06 PM »
HK, I'm sorry you had a rough deal from your local CP. Any organisation is only as good as the folks who run it. I won't bore you with my opinion of Barclaycard.  :mad2: The moral is always if you want to change something, do it from the inside. Or try the opposition.  ;)

But on the other end of the system, traps - or lack of them - is a major headache for many branches. We find we loan them out and folks sit on them, or scarper with them. Heaven knows why! Despite what we say about the cost of replacing them and the fact we have other cats to trap, folks don't take it on board and you then face the situation where there's a waiting list. First priority will always be for sick or injured cats so that can mean a long wait I'm afraid.  :(

I do also have to point out that CP traps aren't public property but some people do treat them as such. They come back damaged, uncleaned or missing bits sometimes and the waiting list gets longer. Depressing.  :tired:

Has anyone successfully borrowed a trap from the RSPCA?  :shify:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »
If you have a problem with a particular branch then you need to contact the RDM (Regional Development Manager) for your area at CP HQ and advise them. If they are not aware of a problem they can’t do anything about it.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:13 AM »
Sounds like you have gold star treatment in your area. The South Birmingham branch are pathetic. Sorry, but I really don't have any respect for them. I'm sure other branches are much better. I'll have to use the contact Ela has given to get a voucher for the mum, otherwise I'll get one through the RSPCA. If I'm going to do regular TNR, I'll need a reliable supply of vouchers, otherwise it just isn't worth doing. I'd be holding on to the next set of cats for weeks, just waiting for vouchers. Meanwhile, I'm having to feed them when they could have been neutered and released.

There are many feeders around here, just no one bothered enough to do the neutering. Not even CP.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Link to CatChat