Author Topic: Another family helped- now having to handrear kittens.  (Read 11584 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Another family helped
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 13:33:26 PM »
The lactol Gold for kittens from PAH is good, it is what I use after a bad experience with Cimicat.

Mums do look bad when they have had litter after litter and it may well be that she is just exhausted, they may not have been her first litter this year.

It would definitely do no harm to supplement feeding, if not completely handrear.

Kittens will often fall asleep even when they are latched on to mum - I think it is a comfort thing they do.  As said previously, if they are sleeping quietly rather than crying I would think they are doing quite well.

Sending lots of love to this little family.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
Des, your concerns about the kittens being on mum all the time. They should feed and then huddle together waiting for the next round, are they settled that is the best way to tell. If they are crying and crawling around the nest, then the milk is of poor quality and that is when hand feeding is required. It could be mum has just had litter after litter and at 10 she is feeling the strain, early weaning as soon as poss after 3 weeks may be indicated here. Can the babies be weighed to see where they are? It might be better if Rachel can manage it to try hand rearing them as mum clearly needs the break. Then again any possibility that she has an infection of some kind?

Hope all goes well.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 21:25:41 PM »
Rachel rang me earlier, she is a bit concerned about the mum cat, she does seem in quite poor condition, she described her fur as seeming like Mabel's, and she seems absolutely exhausted, poor thing, she is in one corner of the cage and doesn't seem to move much. I am taking up some a/d, pilchards and some HiLife tuna Essentials after work tomorrow, to see if it can help her appetite, she has bought some Lactol (all PAH sell) with bottle and teat to see if that can help, she is feeding them but they seem constantly latched on, which I dont think is normal, shouldn't they feed then sleep and go back later? They are either 2 or 3 weeks old, depending on if you speak to the owner or the neighbour. I am going to take some pics tomorrow, to get peoples opinions, as i rarely deal with kittens. Will try these, and if no improvement, then she shall have to go to the vets, we are both reluctant to take her tomorrow as she does still seem quite unsettled from the move - poor thing has lived with one owner for 10 years, then he left her alone, just feeding her once a day, she had kittens, and now has been moved to RAchel's, I think another journey this week might end up tipping the balance, and I wouldnt want RAchel to have to hand rear cos we have stressed her out too much too soon. Also recommended Rescue Remedy, if Rach can't get any tomorrow, I shall pick some up on Sat, I need some for Charlie anyway.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 08:06:27 AM »
Aww, bless her. Does she have a name yet? I am glad it will be her last litter, and she will get lots of chance to recover. I would be tempted to look into some KMR just in case.
Please spay your cat

Offline purrlover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 22:05:29 PM »
They are doing great. Mum has let me stroke her today and has eaten for the first time but only if I held the bowl for her. They are lovely. Mum is not in that great condition but she is an old mum at 10. At least this will be her last lot and we will get her done asap.  I will get some pics on as soon as I can. Need to get a new memory card though :'( :'( :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 22:13:43 PM »
Shame there's not more like them.  Looking forward to piccies when they've settled in properly (Rachel  :poke:)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 21:52:40 PM »
Ah right - might still be the same dad though. I thought mum might be quite hissy, poor thing, might pop up on Thurs with these biscuits so I can have a peep!! Glad she is feeding them, and I hope she is a good mum. Glad your happy!!
Please spay your cat

Offline purrlover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 21:50:18 PM »
Sorry Des  Not Tortie but Tabbie (I was a bit pre occupied when we spoke so got my T'sssss the wrong way round. Mum and 3 babies are safely settled in. Mum is really hissy but not surprised she must be wondering what the hell is going on as she had lived with the same family for 10 yrs but they now have a new baby !!!!!!!!!! :sick:

Anyway she is feeding them at the moment and seems like she is making a good mum so fingers crossed. They are absolutely gorgeous and my first one's this young so am in my element :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Another family helped- now having to handrear kittens.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 21:20:38 PM »
I took a call last week from someone who had stepped in when someone was mistreating a cat and wanted to know if we could help. At the time, we had no space, but she was willing to keep hold of it until some could be found, so I arranged for her to use our vets to get him neutered, and she kindly paid a donation towards it, as well as fleaing, worming and treating him for ear mites, and we would advertise him on the website and CC. He was a lovely ginger cat, but very thin.

Last night, I got a phone call off her partner, saying they had found him a home with one of their friends, and they had also heard of a mum cat with 2 week old kittens in the same area who wasn't being very well looked after, they had told them about us to get permission for the cats to come into our care, which they agreed to, and Rachel picked them up today. Mum is around 10 years old, black and white, has had 5 kittens, sadly 2 have died, it looks like she sat on one, and the other was deformed. Kittens are one black and white, and 2 torties, so i have a good idea of who the dad is!!

So glad that these are now safe, especially as the weather has turned here. on the plus side, I have a suspicion that this couple might be willing to help us a bit.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 21:29:10 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat