Author Topic: Can Purrs help? Siamese, with Corona Virus NOW ALL CLEAR, READY 2 REHOME!!!  (Read 12531 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
its perfectly natural Mark but chances are, as far as i understand it, you've probably already got the virus in the house one way or another

if you were worried about accidents could you put a plastic sheet under the carrier and then just throw it away, I do understand why you are worried, my oh is same which is why I have the shoe spraying ritual!  He even came to the vet with me to take her advice on what I would be bringing back with me from the cattery illness wise!  Corona wasn't high on her list of priorities I have to say, the main thing is that when it does go bad, it goes really bad and that is why people are so rightly afraid of it

if it was me I'd do it but you must do what is right for you

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
I now the difference between the two. But I do panic when I see FIP. Those three little letters killed my Beau.

That's why it is so annoying when Vets mention FIP, when that is not what they have tested for at all, it can only really be confirmed by post mortem, the test is for corona virus :-[
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Mark, treat her the same as any other cat.  If you read the lit, you will find most cats carry the Corona Virus so it's likely if you've transported others in your car, they too may have had it.  The virus is spread via faeces so it won't be a problem, disinfect hands etc after handling, and I'm sure you'll be fine  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Mark i always give my shoes a spray with the purple stuff from pets at home that you clean the trays with (name escapes me) when I come back from the cattery, more for enteritis than anything as it is quite long lived

I have some stuff in my car you water down but haven't used it yet as I always get the vet to spray cages before they go back in my car and ask them to bin towels.

I don't want to sound paranoid but I have to be sure I'm not putting my own cats at any risk, especially having 2 vunerable ones. Is it airborne?, what if she has an accident in the car etc. Excuse my ignorance.

I remind myself of an old commissionaire where I used to work that knew everything about everything (in his mind) and said things like "they tell you you can't get AIDS off a doorknob but they are lying"  :tired:

Sorry to sound so paranoid but I need to be certain
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 15:57:38 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
I now the difference between the two. But I do panic when I see FIP. Those three little letters killed my Beau.

When it was mentioned for Simba & Coco my heart stopped - thank god they were wrong.
& thank heavens it is the coron virus for this little one - I pray it just stays at that ans she has a fun filled happy loving life xxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
FIP is only shed through infected faeces.

Again, I'm not having a go but the Corona Virus is shed through infected faeces not FIP.  There is a big difference between the Corona Virus and FIP and when FIP is mentioned, people go into panic mode  :shocked:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Mark i always give my shoes a spray with the purple stuff from pets at home that you clean the trays with (name escapes me) when I come back from the cattery, more for enteritis than anything as it is quite long lived

good luck with this little girl sharon sounds like she needs it, glad you hear the breeder has been banned

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Is there anyone on Purrs from Bromley area or CP or rescue...? It would so help if we could do a half way transfer....? We really wish to get her out of the vets and into a more homely environment.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
The coronavirus can develop into FIP through stress I personally believe that producing kittens is stressful so maybe the outlook is good for her and the babies but as the link i posted explains the coronavirus can develop into FIP at any time and there is no test which will show this happening other than titre levels  and by the time the symptoms appear for wet or dry FIP then it is only a matter of days before death.
FIP is only shed through infected faeces.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat

I think if she had FIP when she gave birth then the kittens would not have survived to 8 weeks.

So as not to confuse everyone, this cat does not have FIP but is carrying the Corona Virus.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
This is worth reading
http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/fight_fip.html
I think if she had FIP when she gave birth then the kittens would not have survived to 8 weeks.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
If someone could do 1/2 the journey, I would do 1/2 - or at a push all. I would have to find out about how infectious it is. I know the carrier will be left but would the car need to be disinfected somehow before other cats go in it? - the back of my car is felt so not practical to wash
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
If other cats from the breeder have FIP then all the cats in the household will have titre readings as they have been exposed to the virus. This doesn't mean that they will all die of the virus but their their immune systems are fighting it. her kittens will also show positive readings and will need to be kept isolated until retested when hopefully the titre levels will have gone down. however all cats in contact will normally always have a reading for the rest of their days this doesn't necessarily mean they are infectious or will die of the disease.
the problem with FIP is that there is little more known about it now than a few years ago .A good person to talk to is Diane Addie at Glasgow university.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
hopefully she will be fine Sharon - according to a cp leaflet I picked up 80 to 100% of multicat homes would show corona virus but it would never turn nasty - its the stress and age factors that are the problem so you are right to try and keep things as stress free as possible, can't believe someone would pts a 19 month old for this

• Super Cat
yes we realise that the stress would be an issue, but it was that or PTS..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
I wish this little babe all the luck that the virus does NOT mutate in to FIP.

lots of loving vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I thought it may be.  I've put a plea out for transport for you, have to say, stress will have to be kept to an absolute minimum as this can induce the symptoms for FIP and she's at a young age so it's possible.  Good luck with her and I hope she's okay  :hug:

• Super Cat
Its the Corona Virus as she shows no symtomos of ill health.... I am not up to date with FIP but she isnt unwell just tested positive to it

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Is it actually FIP she has got or the Corona Virus as there is a difference?

I'll put a plea out to see if anyone can help with the transport  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 13:20:20 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Super Cat
While i was away we have been dealing with MiaMia a 19 month old female Blue point siamese who was a queen from a breeder that has been diagnosed with FIP.. She was due to be PTS until the vets rang us up and we have managed (through lots and lots of hard work) to find her a placement with Siamese Rescue in Bromley.... But we need to assist in getting her there... She is at our vets in Herne Bay  and is very depressed at being in a pen and due to her condition is in isolation..

Due to her young age we didnt want to give up on her.

So can anyone help with transport of this lovely puss that deserves a chance...?
Pls not that due to her FIP she cannot be with other cats and the basket that we have would have to be disposed of and all bedding as well. We dont have alot of dealings with the disease but hte breeder has now been struck off the register (she breeds Bengals) and MiaMia kittens that are now 8wks old have just been tested to see if they carry FIP, if they do then we are unsure of their fate. We have no facilities to help her but at least we have been able to find a place for her rather then just let her be PTS like the breeder was suggesting..

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 20:34:49 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Link to CatChat