Author Topic: Madeleine - Siamese cat missing in Chatham area  (Read 65841 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Melissa - Siamese cat now found
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2008, 09:31:28 AM »
what fantastic news Sharon, I truly never thought she would be seen again, how great that she has a great life waiting for her with Rae and her sister

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »

UPDATE!
I've just got back from Bournes and Madelin is going to be looked after there today until Julie picks her up.
And I think thats it really. Not the noisy siamese I was expecting, she did complain a bit and hid under the blanket in her basket, and very wriggly while the vet was looking at her but she's great. In pretty good nick after 4 months on her own. Had her boosters, is now chipped and deflead anf wormed and waiting for the next stage of her journey
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2008, 07:57:20 AM »
I am glad she has been caught, and I do hope she doesn't need any major treatment so she can soon be on her way to be reunited.
Sharon, we know you do everything possible to help as many cats as possible. Fingers crossed for the ones at the vets.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2008, 07:25:44 AM »
Well knock me over with a feather. Thanks to some fantastic team work we have Maddie and she is now on her way to the vets..

Allthough i do realise that sometimes it seems we spend ages talking about things and not actually doing, believe you me things do happen.. and i do indeed try my best.. as does everyone

Julie with be in touch with BC and then Rae can then organise a time and day for a happy reunion. Although of course this all depends on what the vet says..

Mods or Mark can you pls change this thread title pls as Melissa was the other siamese.

BTW as if to prove that its a juggling act emotially and physically and although i dearly want to help  every cat, yesterday i had two calls from vets. A possible FIV/FELV pos cat that just came into our vets for neutering...(results have been send away for second opinion) and a poorly senior girl that may end up being PTS due to major health issues, if we cannot find out whats up with her.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:26:16 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2008, 20:30:44 PM »
Fingers crossed she turns up!!
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2008, 20:27:11 PM »
Great news! Sorry, just staggered in from that meeting ... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Will pm you my land line so we can talk.

:thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2008, 20:24:43 PM »
Hoping that Maddie appears on time and that she is passed fit by the vet to travel to Chatham and wow a result for a cat that we thought was probably lost forever..............greatttttttttttttttttttttt well done all  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2008, 17:31:19 PM »
7am vibes being sent now ~~~~~~>

Yes more vibes from me  xxxxx I'll be here at 8am

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2008, 17:26:29 PM »
7am vibes being sent now ~~~~~~>

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2008, 17:04:20 PM »
Just spoken with the lady dropping off the basket. She is planning to be there at around 7am tomorrow when Maddie should be due to pop by for breakfast.  :shify: So we should know if we have her for sure in the morning.  :wish:

BC, I will call you tonight to exchange details.  ;)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2008, 14:21:30 PM »
It was easy I bribed him with permission to fish every weekend for the next 6 weeks!! :evillaugh:

Catching fish? Goodness me Missa has you lot well trained  :rofl:

Well done all involved so far, I love it when Purrs brings people and puds together well.

Best wishes for a speedy and relaxed kitty transfer  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2008, 13:58:34 PM »
fingers crossed!!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2008, 13:57:38 PM »
Well, we are all fit and ready this end as far as I can work out.  ;)

One of our volunteers will be dropping off a basket to Maddie's feeder later today. She also also collect Maddie (once caught!) and take her to our vet for a good check over. Once she's been declared fit to travel to Chatham, I will take her to BC.

I think it best if Maddie gets a couple of days with BC to settle down, during which time BC can assess her general health and behaviour in more depth. It'll also cut a big chunk off her final journey to rejoin her old mucker Melissa.

So we are all on standby and just waiting for Madeline to play ball...  :shify:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2008, 13:16:29 PM »
I don't think anyone blames you Rae, I don't think anyone could have dreamed this would be the outcome anyway, hope your little one is better soon

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2008, 13:09:42 PM »
It's only natural that you want her ASAP  :Luv: :Luv:

I cant wait to see photos of the two of them together  ;D

Offline BigPaws (Rae&Missa)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi everyone

Sorry, Im a little delayed in responding, have had a sickly 11 year old baby here (real life child type, not puddy and have had 2 days and nights of  :sick:)

Anyway I would  just like to add that I am so so appreciative of everything that everyone is doing to help with Maddie and getting her with Missa.

I did originally offer to collect her direct from the man feeding her and get her to the vets, as I thought it may save everyone else dashing madly about as I know a lot of teh rescues are snowed under, but take fully on board that she must be seen by a vet and given a few days to settle before coming here as did Melissa.  However I have prept and primed hubbie and he knows he may be in for another 8 hr round trip.  It was easy I bribed him with permission to fish every weekend for the next 6 weeks!! :evillaugh:

Anyway I know this is a day by day situation and will have to be taken as it comes, and I fully comprehend that everyone has Madeline (called mandolin by my sicky daughter!) welfare first and foremost and as made the point earlier on this thread it would not be fair on anyone if Maddie came straight here on such a long trip and was unable to be housed with Missa for whatever reason.

The only "isolation" I have is an outdoor area that I used to house the ducks in and although it would be suitable I would hate to think of her outside at all, and only yards from her life companion :(

I hope that no one thinks of me as being impatient I really dont want that- I was just so exited when I heard of Maddie being found.  Sorry all.

xxxx
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 13:03:10 PM by BigPaws (Rae&Missa) »
COME BACK MADDIE CAT, MELISSA IS WAITING FOR YOU

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
Excellent - it sounds like she has a 'round' - clever girl  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
Thanks, BC, I got your text.  :)

I have to be out the rest of this morning on other puddy tat matters, but if vets are okay and various welfare people agree to our plan, we will drop off a few baskets to the feeder later and they can chose the one they think is best.

From what I recall from the very brief chat I had with the feeder, Maddie only comes around very early in the morning so it could well be over the weekend that we nab her. We will keep everyone informed of progress.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
Why is it folks cannot let us draw breath?  :sigh:

No rest for the wicked dear ;)

Good luck and hopefully this kitty will be safe and sorted soon.

:hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »
Good luck - lets hope this little lady thinks ok had enough of sleeping rough - I want a nice fresh bed to sleep in.

I hope she is healthy - and not needing any treatment - just some decent food in her tum. Can't wait to see pics when she is safe - bless her xxxx

come on Maddie be a good girl.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2008, 09:35:02 AM »
Thank you PB. I guess the reason is that the information is lost in a pile of superfluous information about everything that needs to be done. A more communicative approach would probably be something a long the lines of 'great, we have put the wheels in motion and are contacting x and y and we should have an update on progress in the morning - it would save us all a lot of stress and angst, I have to say.

As to flexibility re delivery, I am working from home this morning but will be leaving at 1 for a meeting which finishes at 4 so can be home by 4:30. I have a meeting this evening but can blow it off (even though it is important one) if necessary. Tomorrow I am working up in London so the degree of flex is limited due to travelling times, but will PM you my mobile number so you can txt me.

Weekend I am completely at your disposal.

Looking forward to meeting this lovely girl  :Luv:

And while I can completely understand the need to let off steam at times (I have just given a prime example of that) maybe in future we can agree to preface any such post with a statement that this is what we are doing, it will save all our blood pressure from boiling over  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »
good luck all involved, I hope she is found safe

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »
glad to hear that everything is all sorted PB and hopefully Melissa will be caught and with her pal soon.  :hug:  good luck for today :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:39 AM »
Not counting the time I set aside for sleep, in the six hours since you placed your offer BC, we have now worked out all the details. All we were waiting for was 9am and the  :censored: vets to open!! We need access to Maddie's vet records to check when her boasters were due. We also need to find one willing to drop everything and see her at short notice.

We had/have every intention of taking you up on your offer, BC. In fact most of last night was spent comfirming with other folks their part in the logisitics. I have actually planned the journey and the car is ready.

Why is it folks cannot let us draw breath?  :sigh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »
Why do I keep offering? Because I tend to put animal welfare ahead of ego. You have pointed out on another thread that it is sometimes necessary to make many offers before one is accepted - that is why I continue to make offers.
My message was read, and responded to within vet hours.
Sharon is not the person who would be doing any of this as Maddie is in Canterbury if I follow this thread correctly.
I have to assume the welfare person, whoever that is, can be contacted with moderate ease, and I do not understand why, when a solution is available, the only communication we seem to be getting is more and more lists of obstacles. It seems an odd way of going about things. That is all.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »
There wasn't any charitable intent, but if her week has been anything like ours, we have had calls about 21 kittens and 1 adult, plus 11 unneutered females who people are happy to keep and that was just in 3 days. Try and work out who is priority there!! If you are unhappy with them not taking you up on offers, why keep doing it? While your offer may have been posted in business hours, they might not have read it in time to speak to anyone, I dont always read messages during the day.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2008, 08:33:14 AM »
BC, I suspect part of the problem is the fact that poor Sharon doesn't just have this one cat to sort out, so it isn't just as simple as find someone to trap and get her to you, she has to try and juggle everything else as well.

Desley, it is charitable of you to take that view, but this is an all too familiar pattern that is emerging here - Sharon will turn herself inside out rather than accept an offer of help from me. As for trapping, if you read further down the thread, the person feeding her is quite confident they can pick her up and put her in a carry case, so that is not actually an issue. The only outstanding issue is transport, as far as I can see, and since PB is frequently dashing off to all parts of the country on rescue missions, I find it hard to understand why she would consider a quick trip up the M2 a major obstacle. There is more going on here than meets the eye.

Oddly enough, I do have a quite sound insight into the challenges of rescue, but this one is either incredibly badly run (in terms of administrative coordination) or is playing power games ... I have yet to get a straight answer from Sharon and PB's comment about it being late at night does not really have any relevance, because while it was late at night when she posted, my offer was made during business hours - at least a vet's business hours. A quick phone call to the cat's carers to arrange capture, and a quick phone call to the vet are not a major undertaking, no matter how busy one is ...

and this latest list of obstacles is not helping my blood pressure - Sharon plays the 'poor little me' card way too hard at times ...

Sorry to be so blunt, but there is a history here of obstruction and avoidance, and I am not in the mood to take it much longer ...

• Super Cat
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
I don't know much about everyone else... But although rescue seems simple it hardly ever is... I am not the co ordinator of our branch or indeed am i wth the welfare person.. I am rehoming and I just cannot go off and do my own thing without first making sure that there are not other plans in the pipeline..

I love Siamese cats.. and i don't like the idea Maddie being out there longer then she has two, but equally i have a mum and three kittens, 3 strays who are abit worse for wear but still alive, , two urgent health problem rehoming cats, one cat dumped again after the home fell through and if i dont see anyother kitten for the next two months i will be happy...All these cats are in emergency pens and need to be moved, or equally outside under hedges waiting for us to do something to help them.

I am trying folks... maybe not hard enough sometimes.. but i do my best.!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »
BC, I suspect part of the problem is the fact that poor Sharon doesn't just have this one cat to sort out, so it isn't just as simple as find someone to trap and get her to you, she has to try and juggle everything else as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2008, 06:46:59 AM »
Glad to hear it Julie, clarity of communications always helps to speed things up. I will look forward to an update on progress today  ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:58:04 AM by blackcat »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Re: 2 Siamese on the street due to owner dying
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2008, 23:01:04 PM »
I think we were trying to say, BC, that we can't do much this time of night. All will be sorted in the morning.  ;)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2008, 22:42:29 PM »
Yes, I appreciate she needs to go to the vet Sharon, that is why I have offered to underwrite the expenses. I am little unclear as to what else needs to be sorted at the vet end of things.
As you say, trapping will take time and it will take considerably longer if she goes to ground when the weather closes it.

Fosterers having full pens is not an issue as you have my offer to foster her and you will be aware from my experience with Misty that I am good at settling down a distressed cat.

At this stage I really fail to see what else needs organising at this point apart from getting out there and trapping her. So please try to stay focussed on the primary priority, which is getting her into safe hands and well cared for as soon as possible. Sorry if I sound sharp, but there does seem to be a lot of Pfaffing round going on here ...

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2008, 22:40:47 PM »
I am sure we can get this sorted one way or another, BC.  ;)

Phone calls will have to be made in the morning and we also need to get in contact with the lady who's been feeding her as well. But if you're prepared to be a bit flexible about exactly when you take delivery of Maddie that would help. Until we get her to our vet, we don't know if it's a case of her having to stay as an inpatient for a day or so, then on to you, or if she'll be released immediately with meds.

You'll have a shock when you see my car though - you'll probably spot it from about Sittingbourne!  :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2008, 22:36:12 PM »
Hi BC.. its not really about the expenses .. its sadly about space, fosterers, having more cats in our care then we are able to cope with.., logicistic, trapping (it may take some time) vets and volunteers.. All over comeable but all take organising...but at least we have a way forward...

But we do need to get her to a vets before we move her on.. Not doing so would be irresponsible and i am sure Rae would agree that we need to take account of Melissa..

I will be on the case tomorrow..

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2008, 22:21:22 PM »
Sharon if it is a matter of finances I can underwrite the veterinary expenses. I really can not bear the thought of her being out in bad weather, especially if you are having the storm that is rolling around here at present. Get her into the vets and into PBs car and up here if you can - it is only a 45 minute run up the M2 against the traffic ....

• Super Cat
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2008, 21:49:45 PM »
Thanks everybody for you help and Black cats offer.. I wil speak to the welfare people tomorrow. Although  it would probably be less stressful for Maddie to go straight to Rae CP wise and in lieu of her having Melissa i cannot in good faith do that. We have to get her checked out at the vet before hand.. I have no idea of her condition etc..i was told she was very "mangy" probably a few flea and proably not having a good diet.. She must therefore be checked out at a vet this way before we move forward... it wouldnt be fair on Melissa or would it be very sensible although probably the easiest thing to do..

If welfare people where okay, we could set the balls in motion and BC assistance with being the inbetween person would help as we wouldnt have to wait for a pen to be available.. I have pushed favours with vets to the limit and if Maddie is find to be moved i dont think they will keep her in their care any longer then that...

So i am on the case peopel, but am absolutely overwhelmed with problems this end.. So i am doing the best I can for Maddie...

Thanks though for your ideasl

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2008, 21:04:42 PM »
I hope something can be sorted for this little one, as the weather forecast was terrible. It's a shame she cant have isolation at Rae's so it is only one lot of moving about for her, although if she was poorly, it wouldn't be very nice on her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2008, 19:16:04 PM »
Yes the forcast is not good at all and if there is a chance for her to be in a home asap that will be great. Canterbury have said that they have no places available at present so bc s offer sounds a great one to get this little girl into foster care. She must be so stressed by now living on her wits and outdoors, her health must be going down hill cos siamese are soooooo sensitive.

I am sure that Rae would be delighted if Maddie can be brought inside and cared for by an experienced cat owner, until she can go to her new home.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2008, 19:03:35 PM »
Just checked the forecast, and the weather is going downhill for the rest of the week with heavy rain and dropping temperatures - it is important to get her inside if she is run down as it seems she is ... Siamese go down very rapidly without love and affection when they are ill

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2008, 19:01:50 PM »
Bless her, if shes going to need medication another 2 weeks outside wont be good, its been raining here so not that warm  :cold:

Will be lovely when she gets to Rae, hopefully the introductions will go smoothly  ;D

Link to CatChat