Author Topic: Declawing outlawed in West Hollywood  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Declawing outlawed in West Hollywood
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 00:34:34 AM »
I know us lot here are in the ' extreme cat owning brigade '

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Like it!  I am an extreme cat owner!

I had a friend around earlier.  He's not a particular cat (or pet) person and doesn't have any pets himself, but he had a cat as a child and likes my boys (just as well as Mosi climbs all over him  ;D).  I started telling him about yahoo answers and how I was getting annoyed with it all now because of so many declawing questions, and he didn't know what declawing was.  When I explained to him what it actually was he was utterly horrified and perplexed that anyone would do that to a pet.

There are even people on there complaining about hair from their cats getting everywhere and asking if it's ok to shave them  :shify:  Between not liking the hair, the claws and not wanting them on furniture, it does make you wonder why they got a cat in the first place.  Someone on there at the moment is getting a cat off her sister and is asking how old he has to be before he can be declawed.  The reason she wants him declawed is because she has a mini daschund and is worried the cat will scratch his eyes out  :shify: :Crazy:

Sorry - another rant!  Sometimes one just needs to sound off to like minded people!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 18:21:18 PM »
This reminds me of an email I had recently from someone enquiring about the cats I have for homing. They asked me if the cat scratched, caught birds or mice, and other stupid things which made me think of the old saying "if it swims like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck". I replied answering each of their questions and suggested that they reconsider having a cat and maybe have a goldfish.
Okay, I was slightly offensive, but I wasn't letting them have one of my babes! If they were in the U.S. they'd have the poor cat declawed as soon as look at it; and put a bell round the cat's neck and deprive it of everything which made the poor baby a cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 14:07:11 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more, it absolutely baffles me why these people want cats in the first place. I know us lot here are in the ' extreme cat owning brigade ' as such but why why why have one if you literally don't want it ' around '. Baffling. I bet they are also those people who when they have human babies say things like ' I can't wait to get my life back ' and hire in some horror nanny or buy some arsey book leaving the child screaming itself to sleep wondering why it's here at all. Lifestyle accessories who are seen as a nuisance when their presence becomes even a minor inconvenience.
( Excuse unrelated rant there, but not completely unrelated iyswim ).
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 13:00:24 PM »
From what I've gathered from other forums ( USA anti-declawing ) its seems to be offered when the cats are neutered. We have to remember that so many more cats in the USA are indoor compared to here and that is why it is so prevalent.

That's very true, but on yahoo answers (one of the most annoying places in the universe at the best of times) there seem to be a lot of people who are well aware of what declawing involves and think it's absolutely fine to do it.  There seems to be a very low level of tolerance for any scratching at all and next to no willingness to actually train a cat to use a scratch post.  I also notice that there are lots of people who post wanting to know how they can keep their cat off the furniture (actually stop them going on it, not scratching it).  A cuddly toy really would be best for these people.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 12:51:34 PM »
Hi Nada,

What was the reason for this at the time?  Was it considered to be a routine procedure like neutering perhaps?

From what I've gathered from other forums ( USA anti-declawing ) its seems to be offered when the cats are neutered. We have to remember that so many more cats in the USA are indoor compared to here and that is why it is so prevalent.

While I'm not USA bashing don't forget they are fond of snipping off other bodily parts we keep intact over here  ;)

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 12:27:30 PM »
my beloved Brigit...

I (and I will and hope I live in Hell for this!) declawed 2 of mine subsequently.  Never, never, never, never again........

At least you now realise that declawing is not a good thing and won't ever do it in the future.  That's all we can ask of anyone.

There is a question on yahoo answers at the moment from someone who is going to be moving back in with parents in a few months time and her mum is saying she must declaw her cat, or give her to a shelter, because of the expensive furniture  >:(   The poster is asking what to do.  There are lots of answers and almost everyone is saying go ahead and declaw her, that declawed cats are fine etc.  Hardly anyone has actually offered any alternatives.  It's so frustrating.

Dark Moon

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »
I don't know if you are asking me.. I am not Nada. Though most times I feel as if I am......

There was no reason. Human convenience, at best. We live, we learn. Would that they didn't have to suffer as we did it.

As I said -  never, never, never, never, never again.............

Yes, they seem o.k.  But cats are the ultimate ... they will take whatever they are dealt with and still excel. But think for it for a time. How would you like to have your nails all cut off? And then know that they are not all that is just 'cut off'. The nails, I mean. Then remember that theirs are more important parts of who they are and what they do than ours are to us.Try to put it in perspective. I am losing the use of my fingers to a disease. There were lots of things I used to do I simply can't now. Things you all take for granted. Like picking up a pin. I have accommodated. But, given the choice, I would absolutely ask for full use - in the instant!!!!!  Well.... it's like that for them.

Sorry. You hit a hot button

Never, never, never, never do that

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
Hi Nada,

What was the reason for this at the time?  Was it considered to be a routine procedure like neutering perhaps?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Dark Moon

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 11:44:55 AM »
my beloved Brigit...

I will spare you the details. She came to me declawed, front and back. She was, it seemed, fine. Indeed, clawless and toothless (another story posted here already) she was perfect.

I (and I will and hope I live in Hell for this!) declawed 2 of mine subsequently.  Never, never, never, never again........

This was all 2 decades ago. To think this is still considered an option boggles my mind......

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
I agree completely Susanne, the only way things are going to change is by vets saying no, and her attitude is wrong I think. I think too many vets in the US offer it as standard without explaining what it entails, so people dont see what it can do.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 00:13:33 AM »
For some reason, there seems to be a load of declawing threads on another forum I visit and on yahoo answers at the moment.  I have to say I find it both upsetting and infuriating.  Yahoo answers in particular - there are loads of people posting questions in favour of declawing and I just don't get it.  I really don't understand how anyone can think this is ok.  And in some ways, I feel even madder at those that sit on the fence.  Those that say they would not have their cat declawed, but that if it is the only option people should be allowed to.  What is it with these people, that they think a cat scratching their sofa justifies amputating the cat's toes?  And there are those who talk of how it might be necessary if there are young children in the house, or someone with a compromised immune system... how on earth do they think we manage in countries where we don't declaw?  This is why I despair of any kind of meaningful ban ever happening in the US.  There are just too many people who can come up with what they think are justifications for it and seem incapable of grasping why so many of us are opposed to declawing.

Sorry, just needed to rant a bit.  It's been one of those days when I despair of the human race and feel very anti american (even though I know that lots of Americans are anti declaw and I shouldn't tar them all with the same brush).

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 17:12:25 PM »
Problem is, there are too many people who stand to lose if it is outlawed.  A lot of vets make money out of it, and the American equivilent of the RCVS is not anti declaw.  Although a lot of it is down to ignorance and there are some who will not do it once they find out what it involves, there are still a lot of people who know it's horrible but believe that if a cat is scratching furniture or the carpet, then it's a necessary evil.  There's a bit of a debate on another forum I visit at the moment - someone started a thread with a poll re declawing - for, against, only if needed.  Now the official stance of that forum is anti declaw and the overwhelming majority of people are opposed to it.  But there is one person who has posted who is a vet who is pro declaw  >:(  There are also a handful of people who say that if it can be done without too much post op complications and with the more modern laser method, it's not so bad and in certain circumstances it may be necessary.  Once they know such a procedure exists, it's all too easy for those sort of people to come up with scenarios where they consider it necessary (baby in the house, rented accommodation etc.).  The fact that it's always going to be piecemeal legislation is going to make it very difficult to ever get the whole of the US and Canada to ban it. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 17:10:49 PM »
I have to think then this is not the start of very much cos its bit like the gun situation where peeps believe they should have the right to do what they want.

I would love to think that it would get outlawed and a big snowball would roll across the states on this but just dont see it happening  :(

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 17:02:24 PM »
I would not hold my breath just for the moment, it does not give an indication of any date when it will become law, it is just in draft at the moment.  Poor cats.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 16:57:38 PM »
But we can hope it becomes a news item and starts up a debate. Maybe a lot of other people, like the councillor were not even aware how barbaric it was until it was pointed out to them. I think there is a lot of head burying going on in America.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 16:48:51 PM »
I think there are a couple of places in the US where declawing has been outlawed.  Much as I'd like to think it is the start of it being outlawed everywhere, I don't think that is going to happen :( 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 16:44:35 PM »
West Hollywood isnt a state its only one minute part of California and yes its a start but all people have to do is just drive slightly further and go to another vet!

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 16:34:24 PM »
yes lets hope this is the first state of many.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 16:30:04 PM »
"City Councilman John Duran, who has had the claws removed from several of his own cats in the past, proposed the ban after learning that it was a surgical procedure that did not just remove the cat's claws.

"I was abhorred at what I had done to lovely Fluffy," Mr Duran said.

"It's the equivalent of removing a knuckle off of a human finger. Had I known that, I would have sought alternatives," he added."

I think this is the main root of the problem, the ignorance.  So many people don't realise the extent of damage they inflict upon their precious furries when they do that to them.
Like many things in life they need to be educated correctly before they make the decision even before they decide to have a cat.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 16:08:08 PM »
Surely if one State has started...... :wish:

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 15:55:22 PM »
I hope this starts the ball rolling!
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Declawing outlawed in West Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 15:53:48 PM »
I jsut saw this when I was looking at Angie's link

Lets hope it's the beginning of the end of Declawing  ;D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2686125.stm
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat