Author Topic: diet for indoor cat  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
Re: diet for indoor cat
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 22:01:18 PM »
thanks guys! yes she has Da Bird, in fact i had to get up from my afternoon nap today as she was pestering me to play with her. She got knackered after half an hour and has been asleep ever since haha!

that said, she does charge about the flat quite a bit, usually for about 15 mins at a time a couple of times a day so i'd say for an indoor cat she's fairly active but obviously nothing compared to one that can go outside.

her little "spay sway" looks like a proper little belly but as soon as she's rolling about it becomes quite obvious it's mostly skin so maybe we're overreacting but it's better to be safe than sorry!! she's quite petite otherwise, she's about 3 years old and can't weigh more than 3.5 kg!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 20:42:47 PM »
I won't claim to know much about feline nutirition lol, but I do know that biscuits are a bit of a culprit for weight gain.  I guess it also depends on how active your cat is?

My boy is pretty lazy, he's an indoor cat too so I'm careful not to over feed him.  He has a pouch in the morning, some biccies at lunchtime, then another pouch in the evening, and that seems to be quite a good balance for him.   :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 20:16:14 PM »
I don't know about the nutritional side of things ie more/less carbs but I always prefer to give a mix of wet and dry mainly for variation!

If you're worried about her putting on weight you could always try and give her more exercise, has she got a Da Bird?

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
diet for indoor cat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 00:16:40 AM »
Hi everyone, just wondering if those of you who have an indoor cat could help me a bit...

sadie is still far from fat but we think she might have put a bit of weight on since she came to us (she's now an only cat, she wasn't before and obviously was bullied out of her food) and just in the interest of keeping her healthy in the future i was wondering what you feed your indoor cats and how much.

at the moment her daily food will be one of these two "menus"

half a pouch in the morning followed by a small amount of biscuits when i leave for work then the other half when i get home and another small amount of biscuits before i go to bed.

or

half pouch plus biscuits in the morn and then an encore tin in the evening and a smaller amount of biscuits later. she might also get a couple of dreamies or stick as a treat a couple of times a week.

the amount we feed seems to be spot on and has always been roughly the same even when she was in the rescue, she never begs or tries to steal food from us. i suppose the real reason i'm posting is to ask whether you guys think cutting out the biscuits all together and replacing with another pouch might help her keep her weight as it is as i know cats can't break down carbs well at all.

any advice would be fantastic!!

Link to CatChat