Author Topic: Picking up a difficult cat  (Read 1859 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Picking up a difficult cat
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 14:39:18 PM »
I tried this last night on my two (who both hate being picked up) and it seemed to work. I can't say they went completely limp but they certainly weren't struggling.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 21:57:31 PM »
thank you, that's put my mind at rest.
picked her up just now in the same way and again, limp as anything! her little face looks hilarious when she's up there, as soon as she was down she was rolling about for a tummy rub, think she might actually enjoy it haha!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 00:42:11 AM »
If it works and she doesn't seem distressed by it then I say go for it! One of mine doesn't like being picked up but he's not so bad that you can't get him in the carrier, just that he obviously doesn't like being picked up as he goes rigid and stops purring!

If I have envisaged the 'move' correctly I think that's how I have to carry Lu when I'm trying to take him into the kitchen to do his frontline as I need a spare hand to a) open the door to get out of the room I've picked him up from and b) to close the kitchen door behind me. I pick him up normally with both hands but then my right hand is scooped around the front chest part with my right arm holding him against my front and his back legs are dangling against my body, he tends to go limp and allow himself to be carried that way. If I try and hold him conventionally he actively pushes away from me and tries to get down.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
Picking up a difficult cat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 00:17:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

wasn't sure where to post this so here i go...

Our cat Sadie has always been very difficult to pick up as she absolutely hates it. We've been trying to calm her nerves by picking her up a few times a week and gradually she's getting better but i can honestly say i doubt very, very much she will ever enjoy it. The main reason for this is getting in her carrier for vets visits and we've already had to cancel one after we simply could not get her in.

However, tonight i gave her a little pick up and noticed that while i had one hand supporting her ribs/front legs she went completely limp (she's not a ragdoll or anything btw) before i used my other one to support her bum. I tried again using both hands around her ribs and under her front hips/legs (she's a small cat, using both hands i can put them all the way round her) with the same outcome. I only did this for a very short time - maybe 10 seconds - as i know there are good ways and bad ways to pick up adult cats but my question is... is this an acceptable and safe way to pick her up to get her into a carrier if only used occasionally and for short periods of time?

would just like to point out i didn't hold her by the scruff as i know this should not be done to an adult cat and she appeared to be incredibly relaxed while i was holding her, didn't even let out a squeak and as soon as she was on the floor was back for a little headbutt and tummy rub.

sorry to ramble... especially about something so silly!

Link to CatChat