Author Topic: Vaccinations - advice please  (Read 2035 times)

Offline hollihedge

• Adult Cat
Re: Vaccinations - advice please
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 14:03:33 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  I am going to discuss in detail with vet on Monday night when she is next due back and also speak with cattery about the FeLV bit of the vaccine.  Cannot get out of holiday unfortunately as it is for my Dad's 80th and will feel very guilty if we don't go.  Our previous cat carer for our Rainbow Bridge furbabes when we have had to go away now can no longer drive medically so can't get here and don't have any local people to ask who we know well enough/trust enough.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 19:34:10 PM »
But it seems for this cattery they are insiisting on it................and think that many do.

I think what the OP meant by the cattery insisting on full vaccine is that she needs to have both parts of the initial vaccine (rather than a single booster)??  Not that the cattery are insisting on the FeLV vaccination?  If that's the case, I would not have the second part of the FeLV and just stick with the cat flu and enteritis.  I have never used a cattery that insisted on FeLV vaccination and, like Helen says, that's the one that usually causes these kind of reactions.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 19:14:46 PM »
Perhaps it would be less of a worry for you if Kit stayed at home and someone popped in to feed her and change her tray once or twice a day?
I have lots of other animals (Hens, Rabbits etc) so I have my Brother and his partner pop over when we are away, luckily they are local and easily bribed with free eggs!
The only time I ever used a cattery my girls hated it and they both scratched the owner :naughty:
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 19:14:17 PM »
But it seems for this cattery they are insiisting on it................and think that many do.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 19:12:11 PM »
Misa had a bad reaqction to this too and I no longer have this part of the vaccination, he was bad for at least 2 days and think the next two he was starting to perk up......however this does not help if you have to put her in a cattery.

I just dont have holidays!

You don't have to have the FeLV part of vaccinations to be accepted into a cattery as FeLV is only contracted from direct contact with other cats ie by way of a bite etc "FeLV does not survive for long periods outside the cat, and transmission of the infection requires close contact between cats."

The minimum requirement for catteries is flu & enteritis, which is what my boys have as they don't come into contact with any other cats.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 19:00:12 PM »
Misa had a bad reaqction to this too and I no longer have this part of the vaccination, he was bad for at least 2 days and think the next two he was starting to perk up......however this does not help if you have to put her in a cattery.

I just dont have holidays!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 16:00:20 PM »
3 to 4 days is quite a long time for such a reaction to vaccinations.  I would suggest you to speak to your vet and discuss your concerns.  Perhaps the vet will be able to allay your concerns.

We have 7 cats.  Until recently, all of them have had the FeLV part as they are all indoor/outdoor.  They do tend to become a bit down afterwards but no more than about 24 hours.  I've stopped this part of the vaccine for Noni as she seems to have reacted with a swelling around the injection site for a few weeks afterwards which I believe is the main concern for this live vaccine.

I really would urge you to discuss with your vet. It's always a bit of a worry having to put a cat into a cattery for 1st time and won't help if you are worrying about the vaccinations too  :hug:

Offline hollihedge

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 15:37:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies both.
Helen - We have had Kit since last Summer.  Situation re: vaccines has only arisen as we are due to go on holiday we can't get out of soon and Kit has to go to a boarding cattery as there is now no-one else to look after her at home.  She has been living in the house since she came to live with us and has shown no desire whatsoever to go out.  The boarding cattery, quite rightly, requires vaccination certificates.  As we do not know Kit's history re: vaccinations the vet has given her them and will give her the booster next week.  She needs the full vaccine because of the boarding cattery. 
I will discuss with the vet next Monday but am concerned and have read some scare stories on the internet.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 15:26:16 PM »
Have you only recently adopted Kit? If not how has she been after vaccinations in the past?

It's not unusual for the FeLV part of the vaccine to have side effects such as you describe, as my cats don't have that element of the vaccine (as they don't come into contact with other cats due to catproofed garden) I've not experienced such a reaction with the basic flu & enteritis jab.

If you're vet isn't worried then I'd be inclined to trust their advice but maybe look into the FeLV vaccine to weigh up the risks  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 15:23:51 PM »
one of mine is like this, although the vet thinks its more to do with the stress of the vet visit than the jabs - maybe have a chat with your vet

Offline hollihedge

• Adult Cat
Vaccinations - advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 15:05:56 PM »
Hi all
My rescue cat, Kit, who is approximately 8 years of age, had the first part of her vaccinations a couple of weeks ago.  Following this she was very listless and depressed for 3-4 days.  The vet was not too concerned about this.  She is due to have the other part of the vaccinations next week and I am getting increasingly worried about her having them.  Any advice please?

Link to CatChat