Author Topic: Biting bottom!  (Read 1400 times)

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Re: Biting bottom!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 21:09:41 PM »
Tom is about 5 we think and is currently curled up on my lap purring as loud as a great big loud thing!  He was castrated about 3 years ago and the vet reckoned he was about 2 then. 

Will try a feliway. Thanks.  In the meantime I'm trying to stop Tom going upstairs so at least Dillon has a safe haven to escape from his pestering.  Hopefully when weather improves Tom will spend more time in garden too.  At moment I've been popping home from work to let Dillon in front door just in case Tom is staking out the cat flap! (especially when it's been cold or damp, just as well I work 5 mins away!)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 14:29:20 PM »
Have you tried a plug in feliway cos that may help.

Sounds like not only is Dillon greiving but also suffering fom stress of Tom being a bit of a monster

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
how old is Tom?

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »
I don't have any advice for you, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly with
some ideas on what you could do  ;)
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Biting bottom!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
Since we lost our beloved Digby back in November have seen a total change in personality of the semi-feral Tom who adopted us a few years ago, he really is coming out of his shell and showing a personality which is lovely to see in some ways - it's like he's going through the kittenhood he obviously missed out on. 

Trouble is Digby ruled the roost and put him in his place, but now he's bullying Dillon, sitting by cat flap stopping him coming in and biting his bottom when they are feeding (now remove Tom while Dillon eats).  Dillon is 13, and quite arthritic following extensive cruciate ligament surgery on one leg and air pellet removal from another, but he' s a total sweetheart and just wants a quiet life, but has taken to spraying and is balding a bit through stress (over grooming).  I feel he's still grieving for Digby as 4 months on he still checks Digby's radiator seat several times a day. (Now that's started me crying AGAIN)

Tom is also swiping at legs and loves to hide in hall by kitchen door for maximum effect when carrying a hot cuppa! He will now settle down on sofa but then suddenly turn at the slightest movement and bites nearest person.  Am totally torn, it's great to see him less scared but don't know how to curb his less appreciated habits. Any ideas how I can teach Tom (called Tom after Tom Tom sat nav 'cos he always found his way back here even after days/weeks away) what is acceptable behaviour in a 2 cat household?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:45:59 AM by lizfraser »

Link to CatChat