Author Topic: Going outside and white cats questions  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Going outside and white cats questions
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
You're going to be so nervous on their first outing! Definitely let them out when they're a) hungry and b) it's light. That way if they do wander too far you can look for them in daylight rather than panicking as the light draws in  :hug:

Riley has a white stripe on his nose so I bought some childrens sunscreen with the intention of putting it on his nose stripe... FAIL! He just won't tolerate it, despite me telling him he's not allowed out without it on  :tired:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:25:20 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen, Reason: typo »

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
Thanks for the information folks.
I have found an animal sunscreen so will order a bottle to be safe. I think I will only use it if they are going out at the weather is sunny.
We are going to try them just opening the door and see what they think. They seem quite keen to go out and always run to the door when I go out and look round if they can. It is all very scarey for my babies - well more for their mum!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Does anyone use the cat sunscreen? Do you have to put it on everyday even if it is dull? Is once a day enough? I don't want them getting skin cancer so am prepared to either keep them in or use the screen but would be useful to hear other peoples experiences of using it.
Thanks in advance :)

A lot of people I know with "fair" or white cats use sunscreen on cats noses and ears. What the sunscreen contain is important so found this thread which may be useful?
 http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,36282.msg645564.html#msg645564

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
I would let it be their choice too, maybe it will take a few attempts for them to go out, maybe they dont want to go out at all  :sneaky: How do they react while in the house? ie wanting to get out of doors, crying at the windows wanting to be outside?

I dont know about the sunscreen either, I have a few cats with white noses and Ive never used sunscreen on them, saying that if they liked to lie in prolinged sunlight I think I would put a dab on them but my cats are in an enclosed garden so they use it for play, so their always active outside, rather than laying around catching the rays  8)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 20:05:04 PM »
I would let them be hungry and open door and let them decide if they want to go out, lert it be their choice.

Cant answer about white ears and stuff cos although Sasa is nearly all white she has a face mask that includes her ears.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Going outside and white cats questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 14:22:59 PM »
We are going to start letting Monty and Callie go outside soon. They have never been out since we adopted them in November but now spring is coming we think they will enjoy it.
What is the best way to start them out? Should we get a harness and take them out first on this or just let them out 'hungry'. How long at first?
My daughter will be off college for two weeks so this will be a good time to start as she will be in studying and can supervise them and watch out for them.
The next problem is that they are both quite white. Both kittens have white nose stripes and Monty has one whole ear that is white. Callie has white rims on her ears.
Does anyone use the cat sunscreen? Do you have to put it on everyday even if it is dull? Is once a day enough? I don't want them getting skin cancer so am prepared to either keep them in or use the screen but would be useful to hear other peoples experiences of using it.
Thanks in advance :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Link to CatChat