Author Topic: hair loss  (Read 1223 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: hair loss
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 13:29:32 PM »
It could be either that he is stressed and overgrooming or possibly he may have a bit of an allergy or dermatitis. Is he scratching or grooming more than usual? Does he seem ok in himself behaviour-wise?

Last year my cat Cash developed bald patches on his back legs, wrists and also on his tummy and ears. He looked awful. There were a few fleas around at the time so I totally blitzed the house with Indorex and treated the cats over several months with Effipro, Frontline & Fipriline. The fleas stood no chance & died out and Cash grew his hair back!  (I also fed him Royal Canin skin & hair kibble and popped some evening primrose and salmon oil on it too, only a tiny bit though). He now has the most lustrous gorgeous coat ever so I reckon in his case it must have been a flea allergy.

Sometimes you don't notice fleas but even indoor cats can get them as the blasted eggs lay dormant for ages apparently.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 17:48:49 PM »
Could be stress related.  My Dillon had the same problem when recovering from a particularly bad accident about 3 years ago, and the fur grew back over time, but he is is a bit bald around his posterior and on elbows ay the moment which started soon after we had to have his brother pts in November.  How old is Cory?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 16:22:37 PM »
doesn't ring worm leave bald spots?? no ideas other than that, maybe your vet would discuss it over the phone at first?

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
hair loss
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 16:14:29 PM »
 :( please help im abit confused Cory has identical bald patches on each wrist and on his back legs these are only small areas and i dont think they were there the other day, Cory is a house cat but he does not like to be touched what could theses be? it looks like I have had the numer 1 blade to him they are only the size of a 10 pence peace on the out side of his wrists, Just want some advice they arent red swollen just look like i have had the coppers to them ? I will take him to the vet but would be great if you could give me some idears first as a vet trip would scare him real bad the other cats are fine and the rest of his coat is fine :scared:

Link to CatChat