Author Topic: Calcivirus - do runny eyes always indicate this?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Calcivirus - do runny eyes always indicate this?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 13:45:45 PM »
our feral that oh handreared years ago always had runny eyes, our vet looked into it and said his tear ducts where not formed due to inbreeding in the colony - we just used to give them a wipe, they were worse in cold weather

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
Its just watery, no green gunk or anything and it is just the one eye. She is only 18 months old so hopefully not a blood pressure issue. Bourneville is in for his booster next week so will take her at the same time if not better. It is a lot better, as I've been bathing it but not 100% back to normal. Otherwise she is fine, her normal crazy self! Her ears don't feel particularly hot and she is eating, drinking and toileting normally :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline ianthi

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
Is it runny or just watery?

I'm not sure how old Soap is but I know in some cases a watery eye can be a sign of high blood pressure. To be virus related I'd have though the two would be affected but considering it's only one. Having said that she may have got something in it. A blocked tear duct is another possibility. How is she otherwise? Perhaps a vet check to know for sure especially if it persists.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »
I have no idea but hope it's nothing untoward  :hug: You said it's just the one eye 'Soap has had a runny eye' - if so I would have thought that virus-y/infection-y type things would be ruled out as surely it would affect both eyes?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 23:05:12 PM »
I think this needs a vets opinion, cos could be so many things and some drops may clear it up instantly  :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 19:13:24 PM »
Hmmmm...just did a quick google and I don't think it is calci. They are all fine and have always been fine apart from the occasional watery eye.

Any thoughts would still be appreciated though :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
Calcivirus - do runny eyes always indicate this?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 19:03:02 PM »
Background:

My 3 are all indoors and are vaccinated for everything bar leukaemia. Rescue kittens have been with me since early Nov, initially in the shed and two weeks ago moved to the spare room after they had full vaccinations inc leukaemia. I have done intros, room swapping etc already on the basis that my 3 are fully vaxed and don't go out and if anyone had anything it would have been passed over the period since November when I was between the house and the shed.

Bourneville has always had weepy eyes (I think he came from a BSB as he is a BSH cross and had giardia until he was 7 months old and my vets sorted him) but the vets were never overly concerned. They will all occasionally have a weepy eye for half a day and it will clear up or I will bathe it will saline. Soap has had a runny eye for about 4 days now and I've bathed it (much to her disgust) and it is getting better. My question is, could this be something to do with the kittens? Is there calcivirus present within the group and does it lay dormant and flare up sometimes.

From my understanding, its quite common and it can't be treated, its just "one of those things".

But please let me know if I have a major problem and should be concerned.

Thanks in advance :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Link to CatChat