Author Topic: Bit worried about little Eenie. Kitten advice needed again!  (Read 1936 times)

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
Re: Bit worried about little Eenie. Kitten advice needed again!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 23:50:45 PM »
I am pleased to report that little Eenie is slowly gaining weight, he is eating solids, using the litter tray and has now earned the nickname 'Ninja Kitty' due to his antics!
Mum should really be off to the Vets for neutering anytime now, but i'm thinking I should put if off a few weeks as he's still feeding from her.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 13:33:48 PM »
My first foster had an umbilical hernia, he was elderly and hyperthyroid when he came to us so it certainly did him no harm! gave me a fright when i noticed it though!!

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
I've heard the mixture Angie described as being called a 'meaty milkshake'  :sick:

That gives me the utter fear and sickness hahaha  :rofl:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 22:09:17 PM »
One of my youngsters, Squirrel aka Squidge, has an umbilical hernia.  It doesn't cause her any discomfort etc but it will be repaired when she is neutered.  I don't necessarily think that is why your little one is smaller.  Sounds like he may have been pushed out of the feeding by the others, I am sure feeding him separately will help him gain weight.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 22:02:35 PM »
There have been developments...........
Eenie started crying again so i got some more fishy milk ready for him, I picked him up to move him away from the others and discovered a little lump on his tummy.
I have spoken to Jackie and she says its almost certainly an umbilical hernia, and it may not nescessarily be the cause of him being small. She says it is normal procedure not to treat them and it will be repaired when he is neutered.
He's had another feed now and is crashed out with the others and Socks  :Luv:
Anyone else had experience of umbilical hernias?
 :thanks: Lorna.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 19:47:33 PM »
After initial disinterest he is now tucking into white fish mixed in with his kitten milk, he is extremely alert and active. I'm not sure about the poop situation as all 4 are so similar in appearance, if he wasn't eating solids its possible mum is still cleaning him, but i'll keep a really close eye on him now i'm aware of a possible problem, and weigh him every day.
I have left a message for Jackie (CPL) and will get him off to the vets if he dosn't start gaining weight.
Thanks for the help and i'll keep you updated :hug:
Lorna x

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 19:16:42 PM »
It might be worth having him checked over in case there is any problem in the palate, throat or stomach stopping him eating. Is he only taking milk? I think by 5 weeks he really should be eating some solids. He clearly has teeth anyway! If he is pooping normally though he may be eating when you do not notice. I would try and feed him alone and make sure he eats some. They have very tiny tummies so lots of small meals for him.
The meaty shake sounds lovely!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 18:44:26 PM »
If he's lapping up milk then slowly mash some food up into it to make a slush and he'll soon pick it up. As he's so much smaller than the others feeding him apart from them may help as they will be getting first dibs.
Don't be too worried if he still looks bright and full of energy but keep an eye on his weight to make sure it isn't going down - if it is then a trip to the you-know-who.

Try him with some mashed up chicken made into a broth with warm water of milk. I once had a litter that refused to eat anything but chicken but they thrived and it was up to the owners to wean them off it. :rofl:

Ditto all of Angie's advice.  Rub a little of the mushy food around  his mouth so he gets a taste of it.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 18:41:57 PM »
Maybe he's small coz he's burning up all his energy by mis-behaving!  :rofl:
I have the science plan kitten pellets - will they mix ok with kitten milk? how about white fish?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 18:14:23 PM »
I've heard the mixture Angie described as being called a 'meaty milkshake'  :sick:

Hope he can pick up some weight but sounds like he's a little livewire - love that pic of him escaping and the accompanying yowl!  :Luv:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 18:10:11 PM »
If he's lapping up milk then slowly mash some food up into it to make a slush and he'll soon pick it up. As he's so much smaller than the others feeding him apart from them may help as they will be getting first dibs.
Don't be too worried if he still looks bright and full of energy but keep an eye on his weight to make sure it isn't going down - if it is then a trip to the you-know-who.

Try him with some mashed up chicken made into a broth with warm water of milk. I once had a litter that refused to eat anything but chicken but they thrived and it was up to the owners to wean them off it. :rofl:

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
Bit worried about little Eenie. Kitten advice needed again!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 17:58:57 PM »
Hi All,
I am hoping for some advice with one of my 5 week old foster kittens, this week I have been worming them, and I have noticed that Eenie is quite a lot lighter than the other 3, He is only 13oz (370g) wheras the others are all around 1lb 3oz (580g), this difference in size has only been noticeable in the last few days.
The others are all eating solids as well as suckling from Mum, but I haven't seen Eenie eating any yet.
Eenie is the naughtiest of the litter, he is always crying for attention and was the first to 'escape' his pen before we gave up and dismantled it!

Last night he was climbing onto the arm of the sofa and launching himself over the barrier that we have put in front of the door, so he certainly isn't poorly as such.
I have bought some kitten milk for him which he is happy to lap up from a saucer in the hope it will boost his progress. I'm a bit concerned that what I took to be calls for attention may have been him trying to tell us he was hungry.
Can anyone offer any advice? I am hoping that he just small because he's not quite ready for solids yet, and will catch up once he starts tucking into the proper food.
Thanks,
Lorna x

Link to CatChat