Author Topic: My poor old cat - when should I let her go?  (Read 9138 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My poor old cat - when should I let her go?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 13:24:25 PM »
I do think you tend to know when they are ready to go  sounds like she might not be quite ready to me but if you are unsure if she is in pain or suffering maybe have a quick chat with your vet, I tend to always ask what they would do if it was their pet

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
My poor old cat - when should I let her go?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 13:19:17 PM »
Hi folks,

I am sure this has been asked loads of times before but I just need some advice and thoughts on the subject of elderly cats and when to call time.

I have an 18 year old female Persian cat.  She has over the last few months become increasingly frail and wobbly and I am starting to think about what I am going to do.

At present, she sleeps lots, she is warm and apparently quite comfortable and we keep her nice and quiet. She sits in her little basket and looks around her, she
acknowledges us and the other cats and seems aware of what is going on.

She has lost weight over the last few months and just picks at her food which I puree up for her, she gets home cooked chicken and salmon. The only thing she really
likes to eat at the moment is custard. I am aware that this is not an ideal diet but on the other hand sometimes I can't get her to eat anything else so its better than
nothing! She is drinking well.

She is a bit wobbly on her back legs but is still managing to go out to both litter trays ok and perform, although sometimes she misses the box but that doesn't matter,
she's in the right ball park! She doesn't groom herself much anymore and isn't very keen on being brushed but she does wash her face after eating and washes her
paws.

She doesn't seem distressed or in any apparent pain but she is a bit vacant and quiet.  She's clearly not having the time of her life but then I realise she is very old and
has never been a particularly bouncy cat since kittenhood anyway, she's always reminded me of Eeyore, introverted and a bit grumpy and latterly she has become more
like Father Jack Hackett!

I can't work out if she is suffering or not.  I don't know what to expect in such an old cat as sadly none of my others have made it to such an age due to car accidents
poisoning (which is why I only have indoor cats now & very active, happy and healthy they have been too).

For the moment it isn't painful for us to observe but I just want to know what other people have experienced regarding letting their cats go.... what signs did you look
out for and what made you finally make your decisions.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Link to CatChat