Author Topic: Fortikor Alternatives?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Fortikor Alternatives?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
I recently bought some defurrum treats (for hairball purposes) and the packaging had changed to a white bag. The treats still work on the same principle in that you can break them in half and conceal the tablet but I think the recipe has changed too as the outer shell was a different texture/consistency and they seemed even 'tastier' as my cats literally inhaled them!

I just had a look on Amazon and the defurrum treats on there are in the old style packaging (couldn't believe how much they were charging for p&p either  :Crazy:). Hopefully they'll work for you but if not then might be worth getting the new version from a pet shop. I think they sell them in most places, I got mine from Jollyes.

Offline Jonny_Pat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dottie, Bramble
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »
Hi, thanks for all the tips - yes, tried the cheese spread method but no joy with it.   She is the fussiest cat in the world (and that's saying something!!)  I've ordered the Webbox and Defurrum from Amazon though so will try those and report back!

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
Our kittie was on Fortekor for a few years and I didn't try and hide it in food. She got used to my technique of flopping a towel over her back and then sort of holding her under my arm and putting the pill straight down her throat. I always smeared it with butter so ot just slid down then release and give a nice treat :) I don't remember ours smelling of vanilla though. Maybe the vet has another brand?
I guess it would not work with a struggler though!
Your cats sound amazing and I'm looking forward to meeting them.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
Ah yes - the Primula / Dairylea triangle method! If the defurrum treats ever failed then the Primula method was a dead cert, slightly messy compared to the defurrum but if the job gets done...  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
Hi -
and congratulations on two 24yr old cats !!!!

Have you tried putting a tablet in cheese spread, that is what I use at the cattery and it never fails.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
Sounds like the Benazecare is worth looking into if it's a) smaller and b) palatable. It's also c) cheaper!

My cat was on Fortekor and I found the 'Defurrum' hairball treats excellent for hiding the tablets in. If you break one in half there is a tasty goo in the middle which holds the tablet in place. The treat itself appeared to be very palatable so it was eaten willingly.

I have also had success with the Webbox method too for my two current cats when they were on antibiotics.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »
Just like Bramble, my main worry about Fred is the weight loss and recent urine test confirmed that protein level in urine was "off the scale" which encouraged me to go back and try wet renal food.  He is actually eating the RC Renal pouches pretty well at the moment  :wish: and he is a bit of a fuss pot with his food so you may want to give that a whirl.

I see that dosage for Fortekor is a whole tablet compared to only 1/2 for Benazacare so may be easier to hide just a 1/2 in something?  In fact I've just tried for you by squashing Freddie's in a piece of Webbox stick and he wolfed it down  ;D  Freddie is virtually toothless by the way but that doesn't prevent him wolfing down the Webbox.  I can't smell anything from Benazacare tabs either not that that means Bramble won't  :shify:

Bless em both and well done you for lavishing that care over the years.  I bet you've been repaid a thousand times over  :)

Offline Jonny_Pat

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
Thanks for tip - I will look into it.  Cats are Dottie (hypertension) and Bramble (kidney trouble).  I don't know what the secret is to their vast age.  They were 12 when we got them from a rescue home and we didn't expect to have them very long so we spoilt them horribly to make their last years lovely!  They've been with us almost 12 years now and we still spoil them horribly!  Neither of them will tolerate the pill being given as a pill so we have to disguise it and usually we have no trouble cos the drug companies usually make them taste of something savoury.  Bramble took the Fortekor like a little angel for a year in butter but now she won't touch butter, even without the pill in it so we're really stumped. I've run out of sweet things or very strong smelling savoury things to try.  I want to do the best for her and she's starting to lose weight again so I think not having the pill is beginning to affect her.  My vet just says there is no alternative but I'm not convinced that's true and I would take her to a different vet just to see what they say but I think then they will want to do all the blood tests again and she gets very distressed at the tests so if I can avoid it I will. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

TWO 24 year olds? WOW  :wow:  You're gonna have to stick around and tell us your secret  ;D  How fabulous!

Waggly finger though  :shify:  Cat No 2?  Can't go calling such a fabulous elderly lady cat no 2.  Names please  :)  Pics too if poss ....

As to your query, other peeps will say if I'm way off beam but I thought Benazacare did the same job as Fortekor?  Our Fred has been on that for the last 2 months.  Iam however blessed in that he takes his 1/2 tablet as a whole rather than having to mix in food.  Will your Cat no 2 not tolerate giving as a pill?  I give Fred 2 Dreamies afterwards as a treat.....

I searched NOAH and found this....

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Therapeutic_Indication/Therapeutic_Indication/-135.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:05:08 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Jonny_Pat

• Kitten
Fortikor Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:52 AM »
Hi - I'm new here so apologies if this topic has been covered.  I did have a look, but could find it - so here goes, I'm really hoping someone has an answer to this, cos I've run out of ideas.  :-[

We have two cats, both 24 years old.  Both are now on pills - one has pills for hyperthyroidism and the other has Fortikor for kidney trouble.  The problem we have is getting cat no 2 to actually take the Fortikor - the pills smell so strongly of vanilla that no matter how we try to disguise it she always knows it's there and refuses to eat it.  To confirm;  we crush the pill into a powder, then mix it with some sort of food.  Quite often we'll put in in the fridge for a while as this seems to reduce some of the vanilla smell. It's been mixed with chicken, beef, ham, pork, pate, cream, butter, corned beef - you name it, we've tried it.

My question is this;  does anyone know if there is an alternative to Fortikor which doesn't stink of vanilla?  The vet says there isn't, but it could be that he is tied to a certain drugs company - any help/suggestions gratefully received.  Thanks.

Link to CatChat