Author Topic: KITTEN FOOD- when do i stop  (Read 3033 times)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Re: KITTEN FOOD- when do i stop
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »
Our Callie and Monty were also done earlier as they said they were plenty big enough. They fitted them in earlier at the RSPCA than they were originally booked as I didn't want her coming into season with Monty here too! Maybe they could bring it forward a few weeks for you just in case?
Callie was 2.4kg and Monty 2.5kg when they were done.
I am mixing the adult in to the kitten food now. CoOp have Whiskas pouches on two for £5 including kitten till 8th March :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:05 AM »
thxs for all the replies :thanks:
when georgia was weighed the vet said she is heavy enough to be spayed :Crazy: shes lean looking and leggy but quite long, shes booked in at the end of march to be spayed as the rspca vet said its possible that she may come in season soon because of her weight.
im thinking i may buy the adult wet for her now then and just mix in the kitten dry as its smaller bits and see how she gets on?
it would be more economical as the kitten food isnt on offer half as much and not all my shops stock it.
mr miyagi isstill only a tiny baba  though he managed to scoff a chopped up chicken breast earlier :innocent: it was funny as he kept taking a bit then running off to eat it- i think he knew his luck was in :rofl:
Georgia is however adicted to kitten milk and doesnt drink much water- the only time she went mad for water is when mom came up with the shih tzu and her bowl, Georgia suddenly went loopy and tried to drink the lot :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 18:53:26 PM »
Pussy/Leonie was eating adult felix but kitten biscuits.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »
I swapped at 4/5 months I think it was. Would do the same with any future kittens that I may or may not have. Totally agree with the others about it being marketing. Kitten food is a fairly recent invention.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 19:00:48 PM »
I usually change over after neutering.   Tbh, I agree about kitten food being a bit of a marketing ploy - after all, there's  no special kitten mouse in the wild.

I don't use kitten food  :sneakin:
Mine have always gone straight onto adult food without a problem

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 13:20:24 PM »
I usually change over after neutering.   Tbh, I agree about kitten food being a bit of a marketing ploy - after all, there's  no special kitten mouse in the wild.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
to be honest I think kitten food is a bit of a marketing con and feed my 6 month old kittens Bozita and Grau  adult and have done for several months.   Plus a bit of origen to snack on.    They are both thriving and going to be big cats.     Karlo was 3.1 kg at just over 5 months.      I did the same with Kalle and Kyrre and they weigh in at 5.7 and 4.9 kg respectively.     Kyrre has a small frame for a NFC but he was a tiny kitten.
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
This isnt a professional opinion, just what i did

Ditto.....

Not sure how old your youngster is?  Groucho is now 8 months.  He was on kitten wet for about a month until 3 months old and then just wouldn't eat it so went on to adult wet.  Happily he does like his RC kitten dry food and is still on that too and will be until the enormous sack I bought is finished  ;)  Will slowly mix in Science Plan dry as we near the last of the dry kitten food. He is a very chunky boy so seems to have thrived so far.  As long as they are growing fast perhaps it's good to stick to the kitten food? 

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »
This isnt a professional opinion, just what i did

With my foster Kitten sweep, i kept him on dry kitten(PAH 65% chicken i think) while he was with me but at about 4 months he started to make a beeline for my adults food and as the pieces were smallish (but hed still have to chew through each chunk) and in my opinion the quality was better (bozita v whiskas/felix) in addition to his obvious preference i let him continue eating it. i did offer him kitten milk daily to up his calories if needed but i prioritised additional protein to additional calories.I free feed so he could have as much as he wanted. He was a strong growing lad when he was adopted  :Luv2: full of beans, but the wet food taking slightly longer for him to eat gave him something else to do in between mischief sessions  :sneaky:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 23:53:05 PM »
I was wondering that too. Our two are 6 months now and still on kitten. All the packaging says to use till they are 12 months though so currently I am playing it by ear. The RSPCA adoption pack says to change to adult after neutering which ours have now had but I have decided to wait a little longer as they still seem to be growing and I think need the kitten food. They also still like the smaller bits in kitten as I tried them on a sachet of adult I had and they prefered the kitten. As they steady off with growth (we weigh them every month) I will start to change them over slowly I think and have them on adult by 10-12 months.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 17:26:13 PM »
Mine was a few years ago now but think I went up until about 9 months. Kitten food is higher in calories which they need when they're growing so much. I think the packaging said up to a year...

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
I've only had one cat as a kitten but changed her over after her spay at 5 1/2 months

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
KITTEN FOOD- when do i stop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 20:29:03 PM »
just wondering when i need to change to adult food- shes mainly on wet food but i sometimes mix in a bit of dry too for her incase it helps with her teeth.
she also has kitten milk and water.
is there a set age to changeover to the adult food?

Link to CatChat