Author Topic: advice on sudden random urinating  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: advice on sudden random urinating
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »

Hopefully it's just to do with coming on heat which will be rectified soon enough. What are you cleaning up with? I'd invest in some simple solution / urine off / RX66 to make sure all traces are removed as what started out behavioural (whether due to coming on heat or even stress) could turn into habit if the smell isn't completely removed. Cats noses are much more sensitive than ours.

Thank you..I will look into getting that. I have just been using carpet shampoo. Where do you get that from?

Its been 2 nights now and she hasn't urinated again in those 2 spots, and I haven't found any fresh spots. Hopefully it was just a one-off and she was having an off couple of days.

Thank you all  :hug:

If the carpet shampoo seems to have worked (to your human nose) and she hasn't gone there again then maybe you'll be OK! I got the RX66 (industrial strength urnine/poo/vomit etc enzyme cleaner) online, I think you can get simple solutions in pet shops.

http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat5/cat763/cat766/XERIA_RX66HS_BIO_ENZYMATIC_STAINING,_FOULING_AND_FOUL_ODOUR_DIGESTER_SPRAY_PLUS_HIGH_PERFORMANCE_AIRX_ODOUR_ELIMINATION_TECHNOLOGY._NATURES_MIRACLE._Seeks_out_and_eliminates__surface_and_sub_surface_fouling,_foul_odours_and_stains._500ml/index.html

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »

Bit of a funny view from your vet, are they a bit old school?

Hes not very old at all, I would say he's about 30, but perhaps hes of the old school frame of mind.

Hopefully it's just to do with coming on heat which will be rectified soon enough. What are you cleaning up with? I'd invest in some simple solution / urine off / RX66 to make sure all traces are removed as what started out behavioural (whether due to coming on heat or even stress) could turn into habit if the smell isn't completely removed. Cats noses are much more sensitive than ours.

Thank you..I will look into getting that. I have just been using carpet shampoo. Where do you get that from?

Its been 2 nights now and she hasn't urinated again in those 2 spots, and I haven't found any fresh spots. Hopefully it was just a one-off and she was having an off couple of days.

Thank you all  :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 00:31:53 AM »
Vet sounds a bit harsh. Maybe he is used to seeing stress-related toileting issues and owners who won't put in the effort required to resolve them? Sounds like you are doing everything you can to resolve the problem, Miki is lucky to have you.  :hug:  I would have thought being in heat is quite stressful in itself, and certainly cats use urine to send hormonal signals.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 23:23:31 PM »
She doesn't sound like a particularly high risk candidate for stress from your posts, I don't think she'd sleep on the kids beds with them if she was stressed by them. As for saying Feliway is a drug, did he even know what it is?  :Crazy:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 19:45:47 PM »
I honestly cant think what has changed to upset her at all though. All I know is that as soon as she came in heat this started. But the vet assures me that being in heat wouldnt make her urinate everywhere.

Shes in for her op on the 3rd, so we shall see if she continues after the op or whatnot. She didnt urinate on the bed or by the door last night which is great.

I have heard of female cats inappropriately urinating whilst in heat.  So to see if things change after neutering would be a good thing. Is she still in heat?

I have found Feliway to be useful in stressful situations - I have mine - well I mean the cat's - on all the time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 19:46:30 PM by Edd »

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 18:18:52 PM »
I've had two different vets at different practices recommend Feliway to me for different cats and different reasons. Once for Marble who was urinating in different places over the house because she was unsettled by Soap and then the other vets recommended I use it with the feral kittens (who aren't too feral anymore).

Its not a cure but it does help.

Bit of a funny view from your vet, are they a bit old school?
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 16:39:59 PM »
I asked him about it as my friend gave me what was left of hers to try. But he said that psychological problems with cats should not be treated by some kind of "drug". I said to him that it wasnt a "drug" but he said its really not the way forward. Im still gonna go and buy some and try it out.

It was the PDSA vet here in dundee.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 14:37:36 PM »
seems a bit extreme!  have you tried feliway thats supposed to help calm them down

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 14:09:59 PM »
Well she visted the vets this morning. The vet checked her and everything over. Theres nothing wrong with her health wise. He said shes overall an extrememly healthy and beautiful cat. He said the urinating is behavioural. He suggested that something in the house that has changed recently has perhaps made her nervous or stressed. I explained that nothing has changed at all. He said somethin in her life is stressing her out.

He did continuously mention our 3 kids to us. I explained that the kids pretty much leave the cats alone. They arent really interested in them at all. He also said to me that cats are solitary souls and that perhaps Elvis is the cause of her distress. I dunno what to think of that if I am honest. They get along fine...they sleep toogether etc and even though they have their own trays etc they just share with eachother.

Anyway, he also suggested that she should have more space to herself away from everyone else. My husband has set up wee hidey holes for her about the house. We also bought some cat gymnasium things for them to climb up and hide in. (Hubby is currently constructing them all into one huge super gymnasium).

I honestly cant think what has changed to upset her at all though. All I know is that as soon as she came in heat this started. But the vet assures me that being in heat wouldnt make her urinate everywhere.

Shes in for her op on the 3rd, so we shall see if she continues after the op or whatnot. She didnt urinate on the bed or by the door last night which is great.

The vet said the last resort will be to rehome her to a family without children. Its made me feel kinda bad now as I dont wanna rehome her and I honestly dont think it is the children who are making her nervous. She came from a family with children. She sleeps in my youngests bed.  :(

So I guess we just sit and wait it out, see how these new changes affect her and also what shes like after shes been neutered.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Bear in mind the urine sample needs to be as fresh as possible.  Anything over an hour it starts to deteriorate and is of less use.  Put in the fridge immediately  if not able to go to vet straight away. 

I have never been able to get a Freddie urine sample (kidney probs) to vets in less than a couple of hours as he has always refused to pee during surgery hours.  Glory Be!  I got one this am at 8.30am and was handing it to VN at 8.40am   :wow:  :evillaugh:  I put a plastic jug under his bum.  Didn't think I'd get it under his tail but, bless his cottons, he raised his bum to accommodate it  :Luv: :Luv:

This is how I've collected samples from cats in the past.  You put the crystals in a clean tray and lock kitty in room until she uses tray.  Use pipette to put urine into sample tube.  Freddie however has peeing probs and will absolutely not use a tray  :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catrine-Cat-Urine-Collection-Kit/dp/B002ECZMYQ
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:41:40 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
I will give them both a try! Thank you. The vet did say if it was difficult getting a samplw on Monday morning then not to worry as they can tell if the bladder is tender.. indicating a urine infection. But I will try my best to get a sample from her definately.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
Sometimes an empty litter tray is used I understand. That way (as long as you make sure it's the right cats wee!) you can just pour it into a receptacle.

Toby just used to squat over the test pot for me!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
as I mentioned on another thread I usually follow them to the tray and get a tea cup under them!

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 16:31:30 PM »
The vet want to see her monday morning just to check her out. They said as shes drinking and eating well they may not think its a urinary thing, but need to check. I have to try and get a sample monday morning. Im not sure how I will do this though  :shify:

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 16:04:36 PM »
Thank you I will give them a call and see what they suggest xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 14:59:25 PM »
Might be worth giving the vet a call and having a quick chat.  Normally I would say cystitis but as she is unneutered it may be related to that (thankfully both my girls were done before they came on heat).

Just one word of warning ... if she is calling and on heat you need to watch her like a hawk.  A calling queen is a very determined little so and so and she she will do everything in her power to get outdoors and meet "the boys".  You need to be extra vigilant when opening doors / windows.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »
That had crossed my mind too. There is a big tom that has been hanging around outside our house too. He must sense Miki is in season. My husband thought maybe she had urinated by the front door if the tom was on our door step again? Im gonna keep an eye on her and if it continues over the nxt couple days Im gonna book her into the vets just to get checked over. I have no idea if its a health thing or a behavioural thing. If I can rule out a possible health thing then I can work on tryin to sort out if its a behavioural problem.

Thanks for replying   :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
could be cystitis?  I don't know anything about cats in heat though

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
advice on sudden random urinating
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
Just wanted a little advice if possible. I think Miki has taken to randomly urinating around the house.

Shes never had a problem with using her tray at all. Last night in bed I noticed she was acting strange.... sniffing and licking the duvet cover and panting slightly. Next thing I knew she was up next to me and my husband and parting her legs... urinating on my duvet. She has just come into season (shes booked in for neutering 8.30am on the 3rd) so I dont know if its possibly something to do with it?

This morning my husband discovered 2 more wet patches in the house. One on the livingroom carpet and one by the front door. The front door one appears to definately be urnianation. She keeps going back to sniff at it and scrapes around like like she would in her tray. I have cleaned them up and am keeping an eye on her to see if its definately her. I honestly dont think its Elvis.

Is she marking places in the house because she is in heat? If so, will it stop once she has been neutered? Sorry for the questions, this is my 1st experience with a young cat and neutering etc. (Anna was old and neutered when we rescued her).

Thanks for any help xx

Link to CatChat