Author Topic: Advice on food to very sensitive tummies :-/  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Advice on food to very sensitive tummies :-/
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 18:58:36 PM »
Do you know how this started?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline grittykitties

• Kitten
  • Slave to: William & Viggo
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 14:30:55 PM »
Great with response, thanks!

Well, the breeder told me that Viggo has a sensitive stomach, but nothing more than that, and she didn't mention William.
I have  now banned all treats, and they are both on a strict diet. ONLY the gastro intestinal dry food from the vet + the same brand in wet pouches.
Then I give them a paste called "canikur", which is to "fix" stomachs.
Viggos droppings are literally 'perfect' now, he only still have those awful farts  :sick:
I'll see if William's stools will get firmer in this week. Otherwise the vet is counselled of course.

The gastro intestinal vet diet is not something they can live on (it's only for very sick cats, or for acute situations), as they are kittens and need different amounts of vitamins/minerals - therefore I was searching for good experiences from you guys on food brands.
I'll look into that Royal Canin that lots of you are having succes with   :shy:

Thanks for the links on the parasite, very interesting information! I'll keep that in mind!

When you're used to hearing purring and suddenly it's gone, it's hard to silence the blaring sound of sadness.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 13:14:51 PM »

I also had very good results with Royal Canin sensitive kibbles and cooked chicken & ground rice.

I also used pro-kolin as that is very good if your kitties gut flora is unbalanced, it helped my Rose when she had terrible runs.
You can get that from vet uk but check with your vet first to make sure its ok for kittens.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 20:10:36 PM »
As they are kittens I am guessing your two furballs are related? Do you know if the breeder has noted any digestive problems with the parents or siblings? If so I agree with the advice to get tested for possible food allergies which would likely be claimable on your pet insurance. Might also also be worth asking about tests for parasites as there are some which damage the gut and make it sensitive to foods.

Do you know how this started? Was it with a change of food, an infection, a course of antibiotics? Have they had a sudden change from a high meat food to a high grain/ cereal food (or vice versa)? The obvious thing to suggest for flatulence is a course of probiotic bacteria such as LactoB, which is most likely to be beneficial if they have had antibiotics or bad diarrhoea.

Sorry lots of questions, there are a lot of possible culprits, therefore a lot of possible solutions. That is a good thing, but it may require patience and perseverance. :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 20:09:42 PM »
I had good results with royal canin sensitive for my bengals sensitive tum

Yep, same here. Haven't tried the dry but Royal Canin sensitivity pouches did the trick for my cats runny bum issues. I buy it online as it's much cheaper than from the vets but it's still very expensive so I have very gradually introduced a hypoallergenic dry food (James wellbeloved) which has meant he's not eating so many pouches a day and also gets a bit of variety.

Zooplus (a German company/website) do a great varierty of foods - far more than you will find in the shops and suitable for all feeding 'issues'. They do ship to Denmark but shipping is quite expensive from the .co.uk website at £9.90 (GBP) - if you order from the .com website (prices in Euros) then it's a more reasonable 6.90 euros or free shipping for orders over 69 euros. I bought a selection of foods from there to try my cat on but luckily he has taken to the JWB well and am currently having success at weaning him back on to normal food too.

Snarf mentioned 'T foetus', from what I've read it's quite common in pedigrees. It's not routinelly tested for (in the UK at least) so worth having a read and mentioning it to your vets if you think it might be connected.

http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infosheets/tritrichomonas.html

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 19:50:35 PM »
cooked/boiled chicken is good but not complete so cant be fed long term but worth having some in the freezer.

one of mine still has a sensitive stomach after recovering from a t-foetus parasite infection and is on tescos own just nature trays which are pretty much just turkey and rice and does well on it, not sure how available it will be overseas or if theres an alternative
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Cat_Food/Tesco_Just_Nature_Pate_Turkey_And_Rice_100g.html

They might be too young for it but has the vet suggested testing for allergies/intolerences or any sort of elimination tests?

Raw diets are reputed to be very good for smell/flatulence. i dont raw feed but id like to in future, some of the folks on here do and really know their stuff :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 19:30:11 PM »
I had good results with royal canin sensitive for my bengals sensitive tum

Offline grittykitties

• Kitten
  • Slave to: William & Viggo
Advice on food to very sensitive tummies :-/
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 19:20:12 PM »
Hey!

I hope I don't ask a question that's been answered a hundred times before - in that case, please bare with me  :shy:
I've tried looking around to find an answer.

Both of my cats have very sensitive stomachs, very. Right now I have them on gastro intestinal from the vet, but they're still kittens, and I need a proper food for them. And even so they're on gastro intestinal diet, it doesn't do a whole lot about their very stinky flatulence   :sick:

I'm open to any kind of advice!
Please if you've tried something that work, I'll try it. It can't be good for the kitties either, as we all know how flatulence can cause pain in the abdomen.
It's more than the norm.

They also easily get diarrea if introduced (even slowly) to new food).

The vet didn't have any suggestions.
When you're used to hearing purring and suddenly it's gone, it's hard to silence the blaring sound of sadness.

Link to CatChat