Author Topic: cat flu and other cats  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: cat flu and other cats
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 16:43:56 PM »
You might want to make quite sure that any new addition has had both 1st and follow up vacs 3 weeks later before joining his new pal?

I think I'm right in saying kittens/cats usually thought OK to rehome from rescue after only 1st vaccination on basis that they should stay inside for at least 3 weeks?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »
I can only say from my experience

I had a Calici/flu carrier who NEVER had it flare up again ....Even when she was pregnant, had mastitis and when she was fighting Lymphoma and going through Chemo.

I also still have 2 Calici carries ...and again they have never past it on or had another flare up

Offline pamela81

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Harris
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
he is 11 month and so far hasnt shown any signs of it whilst we have hd him. We got him at 5months. I really think he needs a playmate, i suspect he gets lonely at night as he walks about meowing from about 3am but as soon as i either talk to im or pet him, he settles, i really think hes just the kind of wee cat who likes to constantly be in company

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »
I have one calici carrier and three others

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
I've heard conflicting advice regarding this some say not to but we've adopted 2 elderly cats now who've we've been told due to their symptoms,  have had cat flu at some time (one cat was sneezy most of the time, the other had flare ups when stressed) but CP have homed them to us whilst we've had an existing cat and it's been fine.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:17:23 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 00:16:26 AM »
You dont say how old he is now but only a vet could advise properly, my gut feeling is that he will be fine  :hug:

Offline pamela81

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Harris
cat flu and other cats
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 20:18:23 PM »
Hey there, im considering getting Harris a playmate but he had cat flu as a 3month old kitten, he has sonce been vaccinated against it and hasnt had any reoccuring bouts of calisvirus which we were advised could flare up during stressful situations such as coming to stay with us from the cats protection. Thankfully he was fine. We are now as i mentioned considering getting him a playmate but we are unsure if we can due to him having cat flu when he was young as we are worried it could affect a new cat aswell as making him sick again.

Any advice?

Link to CatChat