Author Topic: Sweep - hypo attack today.  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Re: Sweep - hypo attack today.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 18:47:03 PM »
Thanks everybody, at least he didn't go in to a coma this time because I knew he had been given too much insulin - although it made administering the honey more 'interesting' until he decided he liked the taste (you were right Gill!).

Yep Ruth, the corn-syrup should have the same affect (hope you never have to use it though).

As for the other incident, our cat-proof netting has now been extended to cover the wall of the house too - we think she climbed up the thorny berberis? beside the back door, over the floodlight and on to the roof. :Crazy:  Probably trying to get to the birds little madam!  However, my OH reassures me there should be no more 'Wilkieleaks'. :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
What a worry. Figure you need some of these :hug::hug: Jasmine.

My vet got me to keep some corn syrup in the event Lexy needs a boost. Does the same job as honey so guess its ok. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:00:17 AM »
I can imagine how stressed and how frazzled your nerves are but worth remembering that cats usually love sweet things so bringing the sugar levels up should not be too hard as long as you recognize the signs and I hope that Sweep continues to do well  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
I remember Toby having an "episode." He started walking around in a rather disconcerting fashion and trying to loop himself through the toy basket handle....it was massively out of character for him because he was a VERY chilled out boy. I went into meltdown because I'm terrible at handling things like that, but thankfully my partner prompted me to call a vet immediately. (Verbal slap of the face, worked well.) My vet was really calm and asked me if we had honey in the fridge and if so to give him a little.

The relief I felt when Toby started acting himself again was overwhelming.

Glad Sweep and Wilkie are both OK. I agree that Wilkie should be grounded for a day to prove a point. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 21:28:58 PM »
What a terrible worry  :hug: Hope he can get back on track with his insulin and that there are no more escapes  :hug:

I have cat proofing too and despite no escapes in nearly 3 years I can't help the need to poke my head out and visually sight them every few minutes  :shy:

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 18:03:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that Sweep scared you with a hypo. If you go to www.diabeticcatcare.com you can read about the Tight Regulation protocol, including diet, which can protect your cat against this happening again.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 17:31:38 PM »
I think you might have to let OH off the hook as he may well have saved Wilkie from something very nasty  :scared: 

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 16:41:55 PM »
Well, Sweep has swung the other way now!  He's so hyper he's playfully chasing Wilkie in his funny 'I want to go faster than my legs will carry me' swagger (slightly disabled after a spine operation).

Only thing is Wilkie has reacted by breaching the defences (after almost two years) and you can imagine my horror when I spotted her walking along the OUTSIDE of the cat-proofing on her way to play with the traffic...  OH (who I still haven't forgiven yet) managed to get her back in and is carrying out emergency repairs as I type.

Nerves are shredded completely now.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 16:04:20 PM »
So sorry.  I know nothing about the condition but sending you a few  :hug: :hug: :hug: and a few  :care: :care: :care: for lovely Sweep.  Hope vet is able to soothe your frazzled nerves.... and that next step is manageable

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 15:23:50 PM »
Hope Sweep is alright  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 15:04:19 PM »
goodness I'm not surprised you were stressed.        Hoping Sweep is ok and that you can relax  :hug: x
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 15:26:32 PM by cazzer »
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Sweep - hypo attack today.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 14:43:57 PM »
Sweep's diabetes has been very difficult to regulate recently (he has a condition called acromegaly which means he can be quite resistant to insulin at times.) 

Last week, I had to take him to the vet because it was getting entirely out of control: we were getting high readings throughout the day (the Somogyi effect was ruled out) and he was lethargic.  Transpires he had a high temperature (still suffering the after effects of the flu jab I think) and was given abs.  Trying to pill him was a major feat, but we finally found he had a weakness for ham. :sneaky:

Now snuffle-free and perky, he was due a mini-curve today before a review at the vets this pm. Only OH did his first reading this morning: it was quite low, and in his infinite wisdom, he administered the normal insulin and didn't think to tell me until afterwards.  He had no idea that he had potentially given him a fatal dose.  You can imagine my hysteria...

11:30 am Sweep's sugar levels dropped to dangerous levels (and he had already had twice the normal amount of food and was so full he wouldn't eat anymore).  I rang the vets to arrange to take him in as an emergency, but they suggested trying honey on the gums first.  It seems to have done the trick. Vet is ringing me later to discuss next step.

Honestly don't know how much more stress I can take.

Link to CatChat