Author Topic: Sexing kittens  (Read 4153 times)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Re: Sexing kittens
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 17:40:45 PM »
Monty's were indeed about the size of peas when he was 5 months. You could feel them clearly. Now he is Monty no peas he still has the little pea pod but the peas have gone  :rofl:
The girls you can't feel anything down there but you can usually see the female vent which looks a bit pinker!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 17:10:30 PM »
More peas (Dave has no dignity), this must be not long before they were chopped as he and they are rather large!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 17:06:53 PM »
Here's Dave at about 12 weeks I think, very prominent peas!

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 16:35:16 PM »
I got "peas" from the callie and monty nooterin game thread lol!

I'm 99% sure they were peas. Bourneville was without peas when I rehomed him but you can still tell where his peas were...the area is definitely more prominent lol!

OH is rubbish at kitten handling bless him plus he stays away from them cos if he doesn't he will get attached and he will want to keep them too...he is staying strong for both of us lol!

Like I said, I'm 99% sure but will get the vets to confirm as I am a total novice lol
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 15:58:29 PM »
"Peas" :evillaugh: Dave's were clear as daylight when he was a kitten and you should definitely be able to feel them, however fluffy. Of course I'm going by my limited experience with boy cats but I think by now it should be fairly obvious. Perhaps you could get your OH to help you hold them while you have a proper look, would be quicker and less traumatic to do it quickly with two people, one to hold, one to part the fluff to look!

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Sexing kittens
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 15:14:12 PM »
With Tyson and TT being feral when I first caught them, they have finally tamed down enough for me to handle them (although TT doesn't like being picked up). I've always been eager to know their sexes but they are so fluffy I can't see!! They are off to the vets a week on Monday for their first jabs so will be properly checked then. But I think I have just discovered that they are both boys like I'd assumed anyway (I think I just had a "feeling" more so with Tyson cos he was such a soppy "boy").

I think I felt their "peas" through all the fluff...would that be right? Can you feel their boy bits? I pretty sure I felt a pair of peas on both...hmmmm...anyone else employ this method?

The poor boys are a bit embarrassed now lol
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Link to CatChat