Author Topic: Do people's vets recommend pre-GA blood testing?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Do people's vets recommend pre-GA blood testing?
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 16:45:04 PM »
Its a very good idea to blood test before any GA for older cats.. Certaintly gives a vet good guidance for results on kidneys that will help to flush GA drugs away after and the recover time. Has many benefits and would recommend, but its  not such an issue with young cats or kittne. Although from past posts there are always risks.!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
My vet has blood tested all my oldies before their dentals.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 19:19:14 PM »
When Woody had his first dental (in London) he was about six and blood testing wasn't mentioned.  His second dental was after I moved to Wales, when he was about 10 and the vet recommended blood testing, partly because of his age and also because he was fairly new to them (they'd seen him once before for an annual check and jabs).

They offered three levels of testing - basic, "older" cat and full - I went for the middle one.  The dental plus tests still worked out cheaper than dental only in London!

... they specifically recommend it for neutering because it is likely to provide them with a healthy baseline on which they can gauge any future blood test results for that animal. 

Makes sense if the kitten is in its forever home/at its permanent vet, where continuity of care is likely. (I've often thought it would be a good idea if people had basic tests done in their early twenties - blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc - as a baseline for the future in working out what's "normal".)

:)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 13:12:28 PM »
I tend to have bloods done on any new adult ferals and the kittens when they are speyed/neutered so we alsways have a base line start should they go off colour for any reason

I agree that it's always useful to have bloods done as a baseline and to pick up any problems (kittens can have problems).   

It's a trade off really with young cats - do you pay the extra to get bloods done when the risk is small.   In an ideal world, bloods would be done before all ops on all cats.  But it usually comes down to money plus it can encourage people to be a bit obsessive and start stressing about what is for most cats a very minor op that goes without a hitch.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 13:13:28 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
I tend to have bloods done on any new adult ferals and the kittens when they are speyed/neutered so we alsways have a base line start should they go off colour for any reason
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline faye at pawprints

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
    • pawprints animal rescue
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 10:46:05 AM »
i have had 2 rabbits die as a result of being under GA, devastating (both times it was a locum vet who did the surgery, not my usual vets, not sure if that was relevant)

Awww sorry to hear that  :(  Sadly unless the reason they were being done by a locum was because they were already very poorly and it couldn't wait, it probably is I suspect it was relevant; fatality rates for rabbits under GA are across the country far higher than cats/dogs although they are about the same in the hands of experienced vets, which shows that the GA itself isn't inherently unsafe.  I have had loads of bunnies neutered /in for dentals etc and have only once had a blood test done - and even that was primarily because of other issues which pointed to possible liver problems.  I have never had a bun die under anaesthetic or afterwards including my very poorly snuffly bun who needed repeat dentals even when she was 7+ years old,  but I would never let a vet whose history and competence with rabbits is unknown to me, operate on one!  Similarly rabbit rescues neuter hundreds each year and could probably count the problems with GA on one finger - and invariably it will be because of something else.  Alas good cat/dog vets aren't necessarily good bunny vets as it's something that isn't trained to anywhere near the same extent unless the vet takes an 'exotics' elective or additional postgraduate training, or are a vet for a rescue where they see a lot whether they like it or not!

thankyou, i didn't know that a locum was operating each time, i never thought to ask, wish i had :(  since then i have made sure it is my own vets who i know and trust who do operations and i have had no problems since.

i have had 3 bunnies neutered this week, all giants, florence and felicity were done tuesday and are doing fab now, and figaro has gone in for castration today (so i am nervous every time the phone rings!!!)  :shocked:

(photo is of weeny cookie - she's a lovely grown up girl now).
faye @ pawprints animal rescue
www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 22:54:51 PM »
i have had 2 rabbits die as a result of being under GA, devastating (both times it was a locum vet who did the surgery, not my usual vets, not sure if that was relevant)

Awww sorry to hear that  :(  Sadly unless the reason they were being done by a locum was because they were already very poorly and it couldn't wait, it probably is I suspect it was relevant; fatality rates for rabbits under GA are across the country far higher than cats/dogs although they are about the same in the hands of experienced vets, which shows that the GA itself isn't inherently unsafe.  I have had loads of bunnies neutered /in for dentals etc and have only once had a blood test done - and even that was primarily because of other issues which pointed to possible liver problems.  I have never had a bun die under anaesthetic or afterwards including my very poorly snuffly bun who needed repeat dentals even when she was 7+ years old,  but I would never let a vet whose history and competence with rabbits is unknown to me, operate on one!  Similarly rabbit rescues neuter hundreds each year and could probably count the problems with GA on one finger - and invariably it will be because of something else.  Alas good cat/dog vets aren't necessarily good bunny vets as it's something that isn't trained to anywhere near the same extent unless the vet takes an 'exotics' elective or additional postgraduate training, or are a vet for a rescue where they see a lot whether they like it or not!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 22:56:35 PM by fluffybunny »

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 22:31:46 PM »
my vets asks if i want blood tests with older cats going under GA. Recently a friends vets suggested it before neutering a 6 month old healthy kitten! :Crazy:

logically maybe all animals going under GA should be blood tested in case they have any unknown problems, but the costs may be a difficulty for rescues. i have taken many cats, several dogs, a chinchilla and a few ferrets and rabbits for operations (neutering, illness) over the years of running a rescue. i have had 2 rabbits die as a result of being under GA, devastating (both times it was a locum vet who did the surgery, not my usual vets, not sure if that was relevant) and a couple of cats were slow to come out of the anaesthetic but were fine afterwards. eveyone else has been fine. i've always had older animals or particularly unwell animals blood tested first.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 19:28:50 PM »
Recently a friends vets suggested it before neutering a 6 month old healthy kitten! :Crazy:

So does ours. I will ask exactly why when I am there next.

And mine - I've asked before.  Apart from the fact that any animal can have an underlying problem which is not known until blood testing, they specifically recommend it for neutering because it is likely to provide them with a healthy baseline on which they can gauge any future blood test results for that animal. 

Generally speaking they give it as an option but actively recommend it both for neutering (for the reason outlined above) and for animals aged around 10+ or in poorer overall health whatever their age.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 14:44:45 PM »
At my vets blood testing is routine for oldies (although you can opt out I think) and they give fluids if they think necessary.  They never used to recommend it for young cats but its a long time since I've had a young cat so things could have changed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 14:42:23 PM »
Yes you are right anesthesia for any animal or person could be fatal but a blood test would not necessarily stop this.

That is why consent forms are used for animals and humans because an unexpected reaction can happen as in poor Olivia who was only sedated.

You should be asked to sign a consent for for sedation too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 14:33:53 PM »
Recently a friends vets suggested it before neutering a 6 month old healthy kitten! :Crazy:

So does ours. I will ask exactly why when I am there next.

I am sure that I heard heard even young cats can have problems (even fatal) under anaesthesia.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 14:32:56 PM »
the vet I trust more than any my boys ever had, a vet in SA, said always for older (7+) cats and any younger cat with any health problem. It's a very abbreviated version of a full blood test profile so not as costly. Doubt the insurance cos think it's necessary though  :shify:

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
me Vet does suggest bloods for older cats before GA or certain medications.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
Its only been since my two got older I have been offered it and also since their health probs
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
my vets asks if i want blood tests with older cats going under GA. Recently a friends vets suggested it before neutering a 6 month old healthy kitten! :Crazy:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
My vet asks if we want it and recomended it but again Ollie is epeleptic and Tyler has heart murmour so i wanted checks done anyway
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »
blood testing is recommended for older cats (it was recommended for Jaffa when he had his dental aged 8) but not routinely for younger cats, e.g. when neutered.  Not sure about fluids - I know that Jaffa had fluids when he had his dental but the only other op (apart from neutering) any of mine have been through is Mosi's tummy when he swallowed string.  I really can't remember whether he had fluids or not.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 15:56:43 PM »
Fluids for senior cats but blood testing would only be recommended depending on the circumstances, not automatic.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 15:48:16 PM »
Yes, Olive needs a dental and as she is now classed as senior (10 years-old), my vet is recommending tests and fluids.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 14:26:59 PM »
There is a discussion whether to have pre op bloods and fluid support during any op for over 8's by my vets. It is on their consent form as well.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 14:21:37 PM »
ours does for over 7's
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 15:58:14 PM by Dawn F »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Do people's vets recommend pre-GA blood testing?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 14:12:36 PM »
Just curious to see if all vets recommend it. I don't remember my old vet recommending it but my current vet does.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat