Author Topic: Why would a cat suddenly refuse to enter a room?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Why would a cat suddenly refuse to enter a room?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 16:26:49 PM »
predictably enough after posting this thread Scamp has walked back into the room quite happily.
:rofl:

They're SO fickle sometimes, bless 'em!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 15:53:56 PM »
predictably enough after posting this thread Scamp has walked back into the room quite happily. A little scatty and jumpy perhaps but she's certainly miles better than yesterday.

I think your right in that it must have been something that scared her and only her. She's not generally the sort to get spooked though bless her.

Nothing 'new' has entered the room nor had we changed anything round. We too have patio doors so I guess she could have seen something. One things for sure and that's it wasn't her reflection as the doors are far too mucky to give off a mirror sheen lol.

Fingers crossed she's forgotton what the upset was all about - will report back! Thanks again for the reply :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 15:18:55 PM »
Seems like something in the living room has frightened her - maybe there was a loud noise that made her jump and run out and she's too worried to go back.  Or could it have been something at the window? We have glass patio doors and occasionally a neighbourhood cat - who seems to think our house is his territory! - comes and yells at the girls through it. They yell back at him but it's distressing.

I doubt it's the TV but you could try leaving it off for a while and seeing if it makes any difference. Have you put anything new in the room recently?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
Why would a cat suddenly refuse to enter a room?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 14:38:30 PM »
Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to have four throughly spoiled cats who all get along extremely well. In the evenings all four of them sit on the sofa in the living room with myself and my better half.

Last night I noticed that the older cat (who's 1 year 1 month old) was sitting on the stairs watching us and the other cats chilling and watching telly. I went to give her a cuddle which was appreciated and she rolled round on her back purring happily. I then picked her up to carry her into the living room so she could be with the rest of us and as we approached the living room door she did a major freak out, scratching and screaming and acting in extreme distress. She ran off back to the stairs and went back to normal. I left her alone for a few mins and went to check on her again when I went upstairs to the bathroom and she was acting her usual self rolling round and purring. I picked her up again and she was fine. I went to go back downstairs to the living room with her and once again as soon as we get to the door she freaked out again.

Today she is still refusing to enter the living room and she is also refusing to go into the kitchen (although the kitchen is less distressing than the living room). I am feeding her on the stairs and she is eating well.

Just what could be causing this? I wondered about a high pitched noise coming from the telly or something but the other cats are fine. The 'troubled' cat, Scamp, is interacting with the other three cats just as normal as she is too with me and my OH.

The kitchen adjoins the living room thus cooking smells were present. I was using a lot of herbs last night - would they create fumes that certain cats dislike?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Link to CatChat