Author Topic: So we managed to get through 5 years without diabetes... until now.  (Read 10576 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: So we managed to get through 5 years without diabetes... until now.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 16:43:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis hun, but you two have been through so much, a few little injections won't come between you  :hug: :hug:

Hope you manage to get lots more information and that medicating is not as bad as you thought  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 15:47:26 PM »
Thank you very much everyone. Liz, Lacie, I'll PM you. I just need to get my head around the change in lifestyle we'll need to take to especially as a I travel so much for work. Thankfully my cat sitters are skilled medicators so this might not be an issue for them.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 14:27:49 PM »
Sorry Ruth  :hug:

I'm sure she will be fine with your TLC  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
My Lacie is diabetic but luckily she is very laid back and will let me give her insulin injection with no fuss (she also gets a reward of a small piece of ham/chicken afterwards) So I can't offer advice on injecting a nervy cat, but maybe using a distraction technique might work as the don't really feel the injection itself. I just get lacie to sit on her bed which is on a footstool (I found injecting her while she was on the floor was difficult because of the angle) and she lies down (sphinx style!) which makes its easier to get plenty of scruff to inject into (when she sits up the skin is stretched slightly tighter). If you need any advice on diabetes in general, feel free to message me, I'm pretty clued up on it! x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
Poor Lexy, I'm sure that you'll cope though Ruth and she'll feel better once on medication  :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 23:19:16 PM »
Ruth feel free to om me for advice we have had 2 diabetic here at the Clan Tiger and Sweetie so are sort of up on the ins and outs of insulin, needles and food stuff

It is scarey for you both but a manageable illness and it you who has to get over any potential needle issue Miss Lexy will manage just fine :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 22:38:13 PM »
 :hug: I can't offer any advice about a cat that needed help coming out of their shell because Tobes was always a cooperative Ginger Avenger. :Luv: He came and got me to give him his insulin jab in a morning; he knew it meant a small piece of ham......

Hope someone that has experience with a more nervy animal needing jabs can offer some input. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 22:32:12 PM »
 :hug:

Lets hope prescription foods can keep it under control  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 21:25:51 PM »
Thanks for all the links, appreciate the info. I'll PM Jasmine, Pav, thanks for that.

I figure I'll learn to deal with this, I just know Lexy so well and the thought of stressing her is just unbearable. Oh well, we coped with a move across the world, we'll cope with little ol' diabetes.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 21:24:07 PM »
Oh Sweetherat, you've been through so much with Miss Lexy and i am sure you both can coope . :hug:
Jasmine has experiance with diabetic cats, send her pm . I am sure she will be able to give you some info.
Love to you and Lexy.xx

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 20:57:25 PM »
not had any experience of it but  :hug: for you both
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 20:54:02 PM »
Sorry to hear the diagnosis.   :hug:  I don't have experience of diabetes in cats either, but I've often seen this site recommended for info http://www.sugarpet.net/ and there is a yahoo support group  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DiabeticCatsDM/ which might be worth joining. Vet Lisa Pierson's site includes info on diabetes, which focuses on dieatary control http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes .

Do they know whats caused the diabetes?  - has she been on steroids at all? because certain steroids can cause diabetes - not sure if thats reversible once steroids are stopped. I hope you can find a way to manage whatever regime is needed for Lexy  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 20:35:18 PM »
Really sorry to hear this Ruth  :hug:  Hope you can get the diabetes under control ASAP.  I have no experience of diabetes in cats but from what I know of you, you'll cope and I'm sure Lexy will too  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
So we managed to get through 5 years without diabetes... until now.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 19:19:31 PM »
Lexy has survived six major leg surgeries, cystitis, one bladder surgery, arthritis in her hips, a transatlantic journey and a new home. My little girl will be 8 this April, and she has just been diagnosed as a diabetic.

I'm a little perturbed as I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to medicate her. For now we're getting more blood tests done to get a clear picture of what the medication regime will be, ie: prescription food and pills or insulin. Either way we now have a lifelong plan to prepare for.

Anyone with diabetic cats who might be able to give me a shred of insight on how to manage a tempremental cat, who has come out of her shell so much that this might make her revert, would much appreciate any info.

Link to CatChat