Author Topic: Self-adhesive bandages  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
Re: Self-adhesive bandages
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »
you should never cover an abscess -it needs to drain out you don't want  to lock the infrection in
hope all is well soon
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 19:59:41 PM »
My cat Franta managed to get off a self adesive bandage off his leg.....twice!

I think those collars look really uncomfortable as seem to restrict the neck and force it staight.................unless they are very flexible which would defeat the object.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
I keep meaning to buy one of these to put away. They look really good but expensive  :Crazy:

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--BiteNot-Dog-Wound-Protection-Collar--bite-not-collar---dogs

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
Edd thanks for the response. The vet says it should be 10 days or so before Ben can lose the collar. Frankly, this is more about me than Ben 'cos I feel so sorry for the poor little guy. As I don't live in the UK it will take me 10 days to get either the inflatable collar or the anti-lick strips anyway!As this is ben's second episode with the elizabethan collar maybe I should still get the inflatable one so I'm prepared for the future. The only think I wondered about them is, won't he still be able to reach his rear end - he can almost do that with the elizabethan one?

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »
I have seen the self-adhesive tape and anti-lick strips but not sure you should cover an abcess whilst it is healing.

If the collar (presumably an elizabethan or lampshade collar) is bothering Ben then there is the comfy collar which cats find better I think. It is an inflatable collar and does not restrict around the face so much - the people who supply those also supply anti-lick strips. 

But would have thought with the medication, the abscess should be well on its way to healing after a week - did your vet say how long the collar was to stay on for?

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Self-adhesive bandages
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
Ben has an abcess on the base of his tail from a cat bite. He is on medication and has to wear a collar until it heals.  I was wondering if covering the wound with sterile dressing and a self-stick bandage would be an option maybe after a week or so of wearing the collar?  Do these self-adhesive bandages work on cats or can they still get them off? Has anyone ever used the anti-lick dressings and if so, what's the verdict?

Link to CatChat