Author Topic: Ducha needs all your very best Purrs vibes  (Read 29767 times)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Re: Ducha needs all your very best Purrs vibes
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2011, 18:56:35 PM »
Good news that he's eating Gill.  Hopefully he'll  settle down now and accept his enforced rest.  :crossed:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 18:57:12 PM by CarolM (Wendolene) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2011, 18:33:38 PM »
Yes you are right a 3 legged cat is a nightmare waiting to happen, especially when they are as carefree as Ducha.

My problem is that the floors are so cold he needs loads underneath him to stay warm and also to pad the hrad tray so he is comforatble.......6 weeks is a long time.

The cushions that are half faux sheepskin and half material with duvet stuff in the middle are drying quite quick but yesterday got caught out cos he wet everything..........today so far he has not produced anything but he is moving around slightly better in the cage with no litter tray.

Now he has to undrestand that he can just sit on the puppy pad and it doesnt matter.............not that the carpet by the litter tray ever stopped him!

I didnt go to PAH in the end grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr was going to see if they had anything for cleaning him............I am sure they usewd something when he was at the vet so will ask the vet on Mon.

He has eaten more today than all of yesterday so thats good.

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2011, 17:48:44 PM »
I read your first post and thought "oh heck" - owning a tripod myself, a leg injury is my ultimate nightmare scenario.

With the bedding - is it not easier just to make an impromptu one out of something like a couple of folded fleeces or towels? At least they'd wash easily and quickly - we've got fleeces in the back of the car for the dog and when he's carsick they're in and out of the washer on an express wash and dry in under 30 minutes and dry when they come out - we spent all of £2 a throw at Asda for ours - have them for dog blankets, have more for sofa blankets and they're soft and snuggly (and usually occupied by a three legged cat who approves of them!). As for cleaning him - I've got a box of pet type babywipes I got in PaH for the pongy dog that could prob work - they were in with the shampoos and stuff when we picked them up.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2011, 15:48:09 PM »
Fleece is very good too and dries very quickly -all my cat beds have fleece in and they love it.

I could post you some of that too if need be - i always have plenty in as i get it from the local market -its about £4 a metre and its 60 ins width.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2011, 15:29:29 PM »
Have pmed you Gill  :thanks:

Yes Carol its a real problem at moment and I dont know how well the puppy pads will work............so far have not been able to locate a small version of the tray that Liz mentioned, have tried all garden places locally but to be honest a small one of the size I need is unlikely I think.

Definately he doesnt like the feel of the litter and he is currently lying on the puppy pad that the vet put in his carrier and if he goes on that I think its good and maybe putting plastic covering under the first layer of bedding may be the only way.

Have noticed that the cushion blankets he has dry very quickly after being washed and the liquid seems to go straight through so maybe they are just the answer.

What I dont need is for him to lie in what ever he does and its very hard to move him once he has settled.

Just have no experience like most of trying to care for a cat like this.

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice and help, and anything I can do to help Ducha to be comfortable and get better I will try.  :hug: :hug:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2011, 15:19:58 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  So sorry that things are not going well with Ducha but I think you have done the right thing taking the litter tray out.  Does he try to move at all or is he settled in one place?  It may be that 'climbing' into the tray was the problem or perhaps in current state just the feel of the litter on his paw is upsetting.  Its a pity you can't find a flat tray like the one LIz recommended that you could line puppy pads rather than litter and maybe he would use that that.

I've never used puppy pads but I did have incontinence pads for both Rosie and Korky when they had problems.  The square sheets are finef are fine for absorbing water but are wuite thin and because they have a plastic backing they they then retain the moisture so you really need a thick nappy-type one.  With vet bed (the original not the non-slip) l the water drains from the fleece onto the backing very quickly but even that is not foolproof because unless the water then can then get away the drying process is impeded.  Probably vet bed on top of the puppy pads is the answer (not exactly cheap though).

I can't offer any suggestion for a easy way to clean him I'm afraid.  :hug:

I think if if was with a vet who offered 24 hour care you might feel more relaxed although I suspect they worry less about whether he is

dry than you do.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2011, 15:11:04 PM »
Gill -i have a cream in for sores ,burns etc -its called OTODEX -its very good .
The expiry date on mine is June 2011- its only had a little bit out of it .
If you pm your address i can post it to you first thing Monday if you think it would help.

Hope he picks up very soon  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2011, 14:56:41 PM »
Oh Rosella, that is so kind, thank you  :hug: :hug:

He is very very quiet and I think he is depressed, possibly in pain, his tail end is very sore. He hasnt wet himself since yesterday evening or used the tray.

I have given up with trays cos worried that efforts to get in and miss are not helping.  Just dont know how to clean his tail end cos he wont keep still and I dont want him moving around.

Going to get a trial pack of puppy pads from PAH cos only pet shop there is and need to get through the weekend.

He has eaten but didnt like his chicken last night but he looks comfortable at the moment and hope he will sleep without his back leg all twisted cos its getting so stiff, He has had his metacam today so hope that makes it feel a bit better.

I am going to speak with the vet on monday because am worried that maybe he needs more proactive help, rather than just cage rest and as he could stand up when he came home but hardly can now it makes me worried that the bone has popped out again...............how can i tell!

If i feel it will help I will transfer him to Frantas vet but need to be certain that this is needed..............the real advantage is that they have a 24/7 service and will definately keep him in if necessary. Whereas the current vet has nobody on site at night and use vets now but also feel they are more willing to send animals home to avoid transporting them back and forth. I dont think keep putting ducha in the car helps him at all cos he will move around and shout all the time.

Franta of course is now very jealous at the attention his bro is getting and trys to push his way between me and the cage without putting a paw over the threshold!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »
I'm so sorry but at that price for a pkt of 30, I couldn't resist and have ordered a pkt for Ducha  :-[  Hope you don't mind Gill  :shy:  They are probably useless but worth a try.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »

Gill, I figure you're probably both suffering from lack of rest.   :hug:  I hope the night wasn't too bad, and sending my love to you both.

The pricing on those pads does seem a little - odd!   :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »
The pricing looks seriously messed up there  :shify:

15 = £5.47
30 = £1.74
50 = £4.30

If anyone needs some, might be worth ordering 10 packs of 30 for £17.40  :shify:

I know the ones PAH sell are 'Simple' ones (as in Simple Solution)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 08:35:24 AM »
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding something but doesn't this link say 50 pads for £4.30 altho I'm sure postage will bump price up.  Are these the wrong size or something?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/behavioural-training-aids-puppy-training-pads-c-198_595/pet-stuff-puppy-house-training-pads-p-4383?number_of_uploads=0

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
Gill you can get puppy training pads at pets at home they are about £10.00 for 25

I remember someone on here saying they got 100 for about that much from a  Costco/Macro type place?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 08:03:37 AM »
Hoping Ducha has rallied a bit Gill and is more comfortable :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:17 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2011, 21:49:42 PM »
He is not doing well tonight.

He has wet his new towel and is now lying with his face very close to where he has made it wet ,

I cant do anything about it without trying to move him but am hoping he just waited so long before trying to use the tray, he is tired and thats all.

He usuallly sleeps for hours and hours but since being caged he hasnt.

He seems to be totally flaked out.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 21:47:22 PM »
Unperfumed baby wipes are probably best for cleaning under his tail.

Hope he gets used to his confinement and gets better soon  :hug:

Just to give an idea of the thumbs-up with the beds - Kylie is a huge cat btw.

(I couldn't get all the backing tape off the Paws Away)

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 21:15:06 PM »
hoping it gets easier for you all Gill  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 20:57:33 PM »
Thanks Liz i guess I am going to be there shopping again tomorrow.

Can anyone advise the best way of cleaning Duchas tail end he has pulled all the fur off the undereside of his tail and he is sore.

Just seen him trying to turn round and am sure that paw is bad again .

Please tell me he wont have to go to the Bridge cos of a paw  :( :( He wont eat now but will try some chicken later .

Franta is sulking big time and not a happy bunny either.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 20:19:25 PM »
Gill you can get puppy training pads at pets at home they are about £10.00 for 25 - we used the Sweetie and of course for Puppy training Sunny

they ae very good - also just a thought if you have a mother and baby store the sheets used for toddlers during nappy training can be used and cut to size
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 20:08:39 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 20:01:38 PM »
Might be worth ringing around the cheapy shops - £stretcher etc to see if they do them as they'll be much cheaper than Argos I'd imagine.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 19:51:33 PM »
Thanks Helen, yes I bought a crate from Argos but there is nothing wrong that they will accept, as its not faulty, just badly made and its excluded from their 30 day return policy.

Its not one of the things mention in the many reviews but the leaflet is interesting especially has many buy it for the same reason as me, a cat which needs cage rest.

The leaflet says do not leave the animal in the cage unattended ever and do not leave the animal in the cage for long periods of time  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One of the probs for people like me buying these is that you need it now and cant wait for one to be delivered and as one review said they arte expensive, especially when they will end up at a landfill very quickly...................that was because of the quality.

I think the puppy pads will be the answer to Duchas bed wetting and probably better than a litter tray. I have just looked at the one that the vet put in the carrier and it looks like the others on packets but am surprised how expensive they are.

The first bedding will be dry now so need to change his bedding and wash that!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 19:37:20 PM »
No idea on brand I'm afraid, I bought them years ago in bulk from ebay as I used to put them under the litter tray when I had Tiggy. You can get them from Pets at Home, Jollyes (any pet shop I guess). They do them at Argos and have seen them in £stretcher too.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8702489/Trail/searchtext%3EPUPPY+PADS.htm

Did I read somewhere that you bought a crate from Argos and there was something not right with the tray but it says online you can't take it back? If the item is faulty you are allowed to return stuff, it's only if you've changed your mind that they're not duty bound to accept returns.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 19:13:34 PM »
Thanks Helen where do you get them from and what brand do you use?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 18:52:41 PM »
They're plastic backed with a nappy like coating on the top so any moisture is soaked into the pad and won't go through. The ones I have aren't slippy but maybe different brands are different?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 18:33:18 PM »
I dont know Helen cos not really sure what they like except when vet has put one in the carrier they seem slippy for him to walk on and Franta had same problem too.

How do they work , do they make it waterproof?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 18:30:14 PM »
Poor Ducha, hope he makes a speedy recovery  :hug:

Would puppy pads be any good for his pen?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 18:27:08 PM »
Thanks Mark for the link and all other links,

I now have another problem cos Ducha is refusing to use a litter tray and has wet two lots of bedding right through today, now trying to get them dry.....sigh

I am putting the bedding in layers cos the floors are so very cold here, have paper under the cage to try insulate but need a way if possible to stop him wetting everything.................if I put polythene under first layer of bedding would that cause any other problems?

I can see Ducha and its like looking at a prisoner behind bars and makes me so sad, he cant understand why he is there. I dont think he is in pain.......how I dont know but do know he is wobbly on his feet, which is undeerstandable.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 14:27:00 PM »
Re the Flectabeds. I got mine from Amazon for around £26 (inc delivery)  but I think someone else got theirs a bit cheaper elsewhere.

Something else I can HIGHLY recommend is these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290404938206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT They aren't heat reflective but they are really cosy. They are actually a cheaper (but better) version of the Savic dog cage pads. All of my lot love them and favour them over other cat beds. They are nice & padded - the edges are really supportive for the head. Underneath is properly sewn & quilted canvas. I even washed them at 60 and they were fine. I washed a more expensive Savic one with one of these and this came out better. I ordered one for Lazarus as well as he sleeps under the bed sometimes so this is cosy for him  :Luv2:

The one on the link is a good size for a large cat but they also do other sizes. The smaller one is £6.99 + £2 postage.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 13:33:24 PM »
Hoping Ducha is better real soon and doesn''t stress too much in his pen.
Loads of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: sent to all of you and hope you all get some rest soon .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 14:49:39 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
Am so sorry to hear about poor Ducha Gill and poor you  :( :hug: :hug: :hug: 

Have everything crossed that dislocation knits back in properly and Ducha learns to accept confinement before too long.  Must be heartbreaking for you....

He is a very lucky chap to have such a caring mom to look after his every need.

Sending a few  :hug: :hug: :hug: to the rest of the gang as can't be much for them either having to listen to their pal shouting  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 08:26:14 AM »
not been on much with the new job and everything, but am keeping an eye on this thread - if its vet bed you want (white fluffy on one side and green  on other) you can get it on ebay

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 07:17:58 AM »

Aw Gill - far more constructive advice here than I can offer, but just want to say we're thinking of you and sending gentle purrs to Ducha.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2011, 02:15:49 AM »
Thank you for the messages and I really apprciate them cos this is gonna be a long 6 weeks......feels like 4 weeks already!

Thanks for the link Gillian , its the closest to what I want, maybe exactly but will tell you when they arrive LOL.

If Mark has the link to those Liz I would love to have it as those are serioulsy out of my price range.

Its very cold tonight and have put my microwave hot water bottle in his cage but maybe wont need it cos he is fairly close to a radiator.

He decided litter tray wasnt liked and put front paws in and sat down on blankets.........sigh............hope new ones arrive quick cos now have two that need washing again straight away!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 23:57:11 PM »
Hi Gill,
Do you mean the vet bedding ?
I had some from a cat show like that -i used it in the outside cat houses .

Hope Ducha feels better soon and his leg heals well.
Also hope you all get some much needed rest .

If you were closer i could have given you a duvet he could have had in his pen .

Loads of healing vibes and  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  for all of you .

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 23:28:21 PM »
Hope youand Ducha have a good night.   :hug: :hug:  Pity you don't live closer - I have a huge pile of towels looking for a good home.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 23:16:16 PM »
Gill this is the bedding we have they are really good - this link is for example I know Mark has a thread where to get them cheaper a total godsend as you can buy spare covers

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/flectabed-heated-bed.htm

Hope you are both trying to catch some sleep or catnaps :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 22:56:11 PM »
Only just seen this Gill - glad that Ducha is a little more settled in his pen and hope he will soon be feeling much better  :hug: :hug: to you both.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 22:21:06 PM »
Oh poor Ducha :(

Hope the cage rest is bearable for you both

Link to CatChat