Author Topic: Olivia is Poorly - very sad news  (Read 12314 times)

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Olivia is Poorly - very sad news
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2011, 23:00:30 PM »
So sad to read this news,when you feel a little better,i think these vets should know how you feel about their treat ment of your lovely Olivia.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2011, 21:04:18 PM »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2011, 20:45:57 PM »
Thanx Guys

Yes Fire Fox Carol said a very similar thing
I suppose I am just going through the ( wanting somone to blame stage )

:hug: I completely understand that.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2011, 20:10:08 PM »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2011, 19:39:00 PM »
Back home tomorrow..... to an empty house  :'(
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2011, 12:25:23 PM »
Thinking about you :hug:

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2011, 18:48:14 PM »
im not on often but So sorry to read this :hug: x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2011, 21:21:16 PM »
Thanx Guys

Yes Fire Fox Carol said a very similar thing
I suppose I am just going through the ( wanting somone to blame stage )

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2011, 17:47:52 PM »
I am back at work, but we are still not busy
because of this I can't stop thinking about Olivia, I mean it happened all so quick  :'(
I know what's done is done and there is no way of turning back the clock, but another thing that keeps going through my mind
is that the day she went in for the x-ray, the nurse asked me to put her on the scales ( even tho she was still in Her Carrier )
she took note of the weight, then I handed her to the nurse and she took her through the house..
now I keep thinking, was the reading of Her weight " including the Carrier " used to determine the amount of sedative to be administered??
I keep having question's coming into my head now, question's that will never  be answered, I'm sure they wouldn't admit it
anyway if they were in the wrong..

Carol is just breaking her heart being at home alone justnow, and I know when it is time for me to come home again, it will
be just as raw  :'(

:hug: Really sorry to read you have lost Olivia so suddenly.  :'( I don't think it is likely that the cause was a negligent overdose for a couple of reasons - firstly that (in humans) the therapeutic window - difference between useless and harmful doses - is quite large. I just looked up the oral LD50 - lethal dose for 50% :'( - which is 1g per kg bodyweight in dogs and 0.7g per kg in mice ... a massive dose. The primary risk in humans is mixing the drug with another depressant such as alcohol which act together to slow or stop respiration. Secondly I would imagine that is is commonplace to weigh cats with carrier, just as it is normal in my line of work to weigh humans with clothing (!) - making allowances is second nature and we use a standard quantity (0.5kg). :hug:

HTH.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »
Stuart, it's really hard when there's unanswered questions. It's happened to me in the past and I drove myself mad trying to figure things out.

You're right. It won't bring Olivia back and I think it'll make it more difficult to deal with your grief. Am sending a hug to you both. :care:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2011, 21:34:20 PM »
I guess you will never know, the only certaintly is that she was spoilt rotten and couldn't have wished for a better Dad (& Mum of course)  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Please don't be a stranger Stuart, we are all here for you over the coming days, weeks and months  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2011, 21:28:49 PM »
Thank you so much Guy's and Thank's to all the ppl who have PM'd me

I kept thinking of the vet on the last day saying the x-ray was fine ( never saw it )
and the same vet confering with the other one that the bloods were basically normal ( never got a print out of that either )

I just feel that the whole affair was handled very shoddily, which in turn was making me want to hear answers as to why
this happened..

I have decided not to go any further on this as no matter what we do, it will not bring back our sweet Olivia  :(

we got the 282gbp bill in today from the vet's for Olivia's treatment, including a box of Fortekor

we will just pay it

Thanks again to everyone for all your support during this sad time

Kindest Regards
Stuart.....

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2011, 00:03:55 AM »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  There's nothing I can say to help but I do understand and sympathise. 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2011, 00:02:19 AM »
Nothing to add to whats been said .
Just wanted to say -i really feel for you and know how you are feeling -its so heartbreaking about Olivia .
Can only send you a million of these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2011, 23:25:52 PM »
Stuart, like Gillian and Gill, I understand so well what you are going through with the 'what ifs'.   I think it is part of the grieving process but that doesn't help you right now and no, your questions won't be answered by the vets.   There's nothing I can say to ease your pain except that many of us on Purrs have been there too and you are amongst good friends  :hug: :hug: to you and Carol.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 23:26:51 PM by ChrisB »
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2011, 23:13:37 PM »
its such a sad thing and so hard to stop thinking these questions, and I know I did this when Kocka went to the Bridge. To be honest it doesnt matter if you are busy or not and it is part of the grieving process  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2011, 23:05:48 PM »
Oh Stuart, I know what you are going through, all the 'what ifs' etc and its hard to get those questions out of your head. Actually, I think, its a process that needs to be worked through before you can come out the other side, even though it hurts, if that makes sense?  :hug: :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2011, 21:57:48 PM »
 :hug: to you both
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2011, 21:54:53 PM »
 :(  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2011, 21:24:39 PM »
I am back at work, but we are still not busy
because of this I can't stop thinking about Olivia, I mean it happened all so quick  :'(
I know what's done is done and there is no way of turning back the clock, but another thing that keeps going through my mind
is that the day she went in for the x-ray, the nurse asked me to put her on the scales ( even tho she was still in Her Carrier )
she took note of the weight, then I handed her to the nurse and she took her through the house..
now I keep thinking, was the reading of Her weight " including the Carrier " used to determine the amount of sedative to be administered??
I keep having question's coming into my head now, question's that will never  be answered, I'm sure they wouldn't admit it
anyway if they were in the wrong..

Carol is just breaking her heart being at home alone justnow, and I know when it is time for me to come home again, it will
be just as raw  :'(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 21:27:42 PM by Stuart " Bridge babe Olivia's dad " »

Offline west0405

• Senior Cat
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2011, 14:13:30 PM »
Oh goodness, I too have only just caught this.

My thoughts are with you at this sad time  :hug:

RIP gorgeous girly xxx

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »
So sad, RIP Olivia  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »
Just catching up on this - so sorry to hear about Olivia, Stuart.  RIP sweetheart.  Play hard at the bridge with all the other Purrs babes.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
So so sad - Stuart and Carol  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Stuart and Carol, so so sad reading your post

Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2011, 01:44:56 AM »
Can only offer you loads of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

This is heart breaking and i really feel for you both . :'( :'(

It makes you worry more when you go to the vets about what they give them nowadays - if you have a really good vet -stick with them .
I am lucky that i do have a very good vet , but i do worry what i will do when he retires and he is over 60 i think now .

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »
Stuart sometime hindsight is a wonderful thing anf the what ifs list I have is far to long

She graced your life and you loved her very much as did Carol, the tears will flow and I know mine have been in overdrive with loosing Sweetie and Echo missing (now found 40 foot up a tree SSPCA coming to rescue him in the morning)

One day the tears will lessen and you can remember her with all the love she gave you and one day you will smile again :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
Thanks Guys, still trying to keep busy and not dwell on the thoughts of the last few days
but it isn't easy, it's the first thing that comes into my mind when I awake :'(
I go down stairs and there's no Olivia to give breakfast to and no Olivia to give her, her early morning brush :'(
I still go into the back garden to top up the bird feeder's, but I just end up in a blubbering mess as
Olivia would always follow and watch me before she would go and sit under her tree to watch the birds
 :'(

although the cremetorium now places the ashes into a beautiful woven basket instead of an envelope
I have finally got round to buying the cat Caskets which I meant to get for Hamish and Misty ages ago
just wished I didn't have to buy one for Olivia too  :'(

Carol and myself have been grieving on our own, but tonight was the first time we sat down and talked
about it all, Carol also thinks it was the Diazepam that took Olivia, and in her word's....
" although the vet mentioned the adverse reaction, he just seemed to skim over it, and didn't play on it for long "
no other real reason was given to explain Olivia's condition

Oh Stuart, that is heart wrenching  :'(  :hug: :hug:

I understand about not talking to the vet about it - I was convinced that the convenia jab given to my Suzie RIP who had CRF, was what caused her to deteriorate, and was going to talk to the vet about it - but part of me didnt really want to know if it could have been the cause - because it would just be to hard to bear. I still do feel thats what it was, but don't really want to have it confirmed if you know what I mean?

Yes Gillian Carol and I had a similar conversation, and like yourself, we thought the same
the Vet did ask if we wanted a PM done to find the exact cause.... I said NO!!
at the end of the day, Our Little girl was gone and nothing was going to bring her back  :'(

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2011, 23:00:03 PM »
I'm so sorry. Read this thread a few days ago and came back for an update. My heart is breaking for you but you gave her a wonderful and the final act of kindness.

:hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2011, 21:32:32 PM »
Gorgeous photo Stuart  :rofl:  :Luv2: :hug:  You will miss her as much as Hamish and Misty but you and Carol have a wonderful baby on the way which you must try and concentrate on.  :hug: :hug:

Olivia was looked afer like a Princess from the day she came into your life and she couldn't have asked for more.

Mary
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 21:33:38 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2011, 20:44:14 PM »
Oh Stuart, that is heart wrenching  :'(  :hug: :hug:

I understand about not talking to the vet about it - I was convinced that the convenia jab given to my Suzie RIP who had CRF, was what caused her to deteriorate, and was going to talk to the vet about it - but part of me didnt really want to know if it could have been the cause - because it would just be to hard to bear. I still do feel thats what it was, but don't really want to have it confirmed if you know what I mean?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
what a sad post Stuart - hope your hearts will mend soon

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2011, 12:12:20 PM »
I would just like to thank everyone for their condolencies and PM's it is so much appreciated

Hi Gillian
No, I won't be talking to the vet about the chances of it being an adverse reaction, deep
down I feel that that is what happened. apart from the not eating Olivia was still bright.
but when we came back from the vet's on wednesday night, she was obviously still under
sedation, as her Pupils were huge and she was very unsteady, she had something to eat
and drink then we put her next to a heater, when I came down in the morning, I was
expecting her to be up and about, but she basically hadnt moved ?? Her eye's were still
dilated, and over the course of the morning, I was expecting her to come to, but even I
could see she seemed to be getting worse
We took her back to the vet's ( which weren't really filling me with confidence as the two
vet's we had seen were both in their twenty's ) Olivia was examined again, and she said
she had no Idea why Oliva was in the way she was?. she went away to get another vet
for a second opinion, an older guy, and his very first words were " Oh my goodness "
by this stage Olivia could not stand and did not even have the strength to lift her head
( Her Pupils were still dilated ) same as before this vet could not understand why she was
in this state, the only thing He mentioned was about the Diazepam ( Valium ) that was
used to sedate her, going on to say that in very rare cases, some cat's can have an adverse
reaction to it, He didn't say that was what was happening, and I am no vet, but as I have
said, to me, this was the cause ( especially with the eye's still being dilated, as tho she was
still under sedation ) ontop of this the vet said that apart from her heart murmur and slight
signs of kindney issues, her blood results were practically normal.

We were given the Option of putting Olivia on a drip for a couple of hour's to see if that would
pick her up, but he was very Optomistic, it was at that point i said to him
" It looks as tho Olivia is Dying " He looked at me and said yes...it does, Carol and I had a talk
and it was decided that for Olivia, there was no option but the final kindness  :'(

Olivia is back home now, and is currently placed in one of her favorite spots
next to me on the computer desk, this was the very last photo taken of her ( 25th jan )

I'm Missing her so much  :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 13:54:14 PM by Stuart ( Olivia's Dad ) »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2011, 23:30:08 PM »
It is tragic if it was an adverse reacton, are you planning to talk to the vet about the possibility Stuart? Thinking of you  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2011, 21:00:18 PM »
So So sorry Stuart :hug:  :hug:

RIP beautiful Olivia - play hard at the Bridge sweetie xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat