Author Topic: Cystitis!!!  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cystitis!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »
So pleased she seems to be responding to the abs and stuff and hope the improvement continues  :hug: :hug:

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 19:46:26 PM »
Thanks again for the fab advice! She definately has been straining less today and I think she did a little wee in the tray  ;)

I cleaned the area she seemed to prefer (in my magazine rack) and put some foil down in the area to discourage her from going there.

She's such a good girl and i'll just go along with whatever makes her feel better so if it means cleaning up for a few days I don't mind!

Hopefully she's getting better as on the second visit to the vets he gave her a longer acting steroid and antibiotics.

When she's recovered from this, she's got to have a lump in her neck investigated.... it never ends!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 14:13:17 PM »
Cats can be very sensitive creatures.  I have a cat who gets cystitis and to be honest I've no idea what causes it.  She regularly toilets in her litter tray and outside and only wees in the house just before the onset of cystitis and during.  As she starts to recover, she does stop.  I know this is a worrying time for you, it's hard to relax when you can hear them moving around the house and possibly scratching.   For now I think you just have to go with the flow as Cystitis can be very painful and stressful.  Hopefully the symptons will ease in the next day or so.  If not, it might be worth going to the vet for more treatment.

As Tab says, some cats really benefit from Feliway.  Also, a 100% wet diet (possibly with water added) is recommended.  If it does reoccur, ask the vet about Cystease or Cystaid which can be mixed in their food.  It basically coats the lining of the bladder, reducing irritation and the need to constantly go and has greatly helped my cat.

Let us know how she is doing.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
Amber gets stress cystitis quite often and normally a visit to the vets sorts it fine. I keep her on 1 cystease a day now and have a feliway plugged in if Im feeling stressed as thats what sets her off.
When she first got cystitis and I didnt know what was wrong she very kindly pee'd in the bath so I could see it  :sick: After doing that the next time as well I quickly got into the habit of recognising it. Now I can tell and because Im always checking the tray she seems happy enough to use it.
Maybe put the other litter tray out as well and see if she will use that
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
Thanks so much guys  :hug:

I've been racking my brains as to what might have stressed her. We moved around 5 months ago and I expected an odd accident whilst she adjusted, but she's been wonderful. She loves the garden, loves having more space and has settled in really well. There's been no incident with another cat (she only goes out when i'm washing up and can see what she's doing), there's been no change of furniture or carpets etc.

I do have a spare litter tray - would changing it help? I do hope that she feels better today  :( Poor wee soul, I just hate to think of her in pain  :'(
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 21:02:51 PM »
I can understand why she's doing it downstairs as her litter tray is upstairs but today she was also straining to wee in my magazine holder which is next to the litter tray - why would she choose not to try in the litter tray?

I'm not shouting at her or anything when I find her as that's not going to help, but how can I discourage it, or should I just accept that it's going to happen whilst she's unwell and to let her alone for now?

Its because she associates the discomfort of trying to wee with the litter tray - so anywhere but the litter tray has got to be better in her eyes - trouble is, it isnt any better anywhere else, hence they tend to try several different places in the hope it won't be as uncomfortable. If you do catch her squatting - just gently move her to the tray, but you may not be able to discourage her from going elsewhere for now.  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 19:43:45 PM »
Also, does non-biological washing stuff work at getting urine out?

I have no experience of cysitis but have had to clean up a few wee related accidents and was worried in case the boys decided to re-wee if the smell remained. In my experience biological washing powder did nothing - I had independent sniff testers and they said it still stunk. I bought some industrial strength enzyme urine cleaner which Mark recommended and both accident spots were cleaned and were completely smell free.

This was the cheapest place including delivery... http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat5/cat763/cat766/XERIA_RX66HS_BIO_ENZYMATIC_STAINING,_FOULING_AND_FOUL_ODOUR_DIGESTER_SPRAY_PLUS_HIGH_PERFORMANCE_AIRX_ODOUR_ELIMINATION_TECHNOLOGY._NATURES_MIRACLE._Seeks_out_and_eliminates__surface_and_sub_surface_fouling,_foul_odours_and_stains._500ml/index.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 19:27:38 PM »
Last first....no it has to be biological.

I would make a guess that at moment she is just sitting anywhere to try and go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,however stress can cause cystitus!

I knew Misa had it when he was in and out of trays when he usually goes outside and also new it was caused by stress cos Franta was getting loads of attention cos he had just started having seizures and Misa is such a sensitive soul.

Abs worked for Misa and do hope that Katie improves quickly, I would leave her at the moment.....has anything new happened to make her feel stressed?

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Cystitis!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 18:07:54 PM »
Katie has been diagnosed with cystitis and has been to the vets in Saturday and again today for a stronger steroid and antibiotic. I've also got Zylekene to give her for the next week.

The thing is that Katie's history is that she's a soiling cat who has never soiled in my house (she's been with me for 5 years) but did for 2 years in her old home. Now I know that weeing because of cystitis is a very different thing from stress soiling, but i'm so worried that she'll get into the pattern again. I'm really hoping that these injections start to work as I keep finding her squatting in certain places. Sometimes bits of wee are coming out, but other times there's nothing. I can understand why she's doing it downstairs as her litter tray is upstairs but today she was also straining to wee in my magazine holder which is next to the litter tray - why would she choose not to try in the litter tray?

I'm not shouting at her or anything when I find her as that's not going to help, but how can I discourage it, or should I just accept that it's going to happen whilst she's unwell and to let her alone for now?

Also, does non-biological washing stuff work at getting urine out?

Link to CatChat