Author Topic: Sadie's shuffling along on her bum...  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
Re: Sadie's shuffling along on her bum...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »
thanks all!

Have booked her in at the vet on saturday, they think it could be blocked anal glands as has been mentioned. She left us a nice poo to get out of the tray this morning so that seems to be working ok. Weirdly she only tends to do it just after she's had a sleep in the evening, maybe she's just too lazy to lick her bum when she's just woken up? HAHA!

Poor little thing, dreading taking her to the vets, just when she's finally settled here.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
agree - worms, anal glands or even just a dirty bum - why lick when you can shuffle? is she pooing as normal?

hope you haven't got a light coloured carpet!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »
Indoor cats can still get worms & fleas. I remember Susanne on here who has indoor cats in a flat had to treat them for fleas - eggs can be brought in on peoples clothes or shoes. If a cat has fleas it is likely to have worms as well. The wormers from the vet - ie Milbemax are the only ones worth using - same with flea treatments. The supermarket ones are pretty useless and can be dangerous.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:25 AM »
yes, it sounds as tho Sadie is needing her Anal Glands expressed,
they do sometimes get blocked, it is not painful, more uncomfortable than anything else, hence the
sliding about with the legs in the air
 :evillaugh:

a quick visit to the vet should sort it out  ;)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
Sadie's shuffling along on her bum...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55:19 AM »
Hi everyone.

I noticed a week ago that Sadie sat down and then shuffled along on her bum for about three or four inches, she's just done it again and i'm wondering if it's something i need to nip in the bud with a trip to the vets. She as rehomed to us as an indoor cat and has remained that way so i won'd imagine it's unlikely to be worms. She's not at all portly and cleans herself well and is going to the toilet regularly as normal. Is this something cats might just occasionally do? Bearing in mind i've only seen her do it twice. Just wondering if she would be doing it a lot more should there be a problem with her glands.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Link to CatChat