Author Topic: Looking after neighbour's cat for a week - need some advice. KIDNEYS  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Looking after neighbour's cat for a week - need some advice. KIDNEYS
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 13:09:45 PM »
Sounds like she is doing much better with you than her owners!

They dont seem to have a care about her to be honest or maybe just dont love cats enough to be sensitive to their needs.

Well done you and hope this continues  :hug:

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Thea R.I.P
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  I went in to see/feed her yesterday and guess what?!  She ran up to greet me, wanted cuddles - and had eaten all the food her owners had left her the day before!  (I have a sneaking suspicion she doesn't like the Whiskas Senior in gravy - as I don't think she was having that last time I was asked to feed her).  Anyway, I gave her some trout treats, which she wolfed down.  The gave her some Royal Canin Extra Tasty dry which she nibbled at.  Then a Gourmet Rabbit and Liver, and she sat and ate a good half of it.   Then she trotted off to have a good go on her scratching post and groomed herself.

So either whatever she had was shortlived or to do with food pickiness, or she was having a good day.  I'm going in shortly to see how she's getting on today - fingers crossed she's just as well.

Thanks again for all your help - I've got some great information from you if she does revert to not eating/being withdrawn.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
There is a senior fish in Jelly selection box - Clapton used to love it. It was the only one I bought in the end as he didn't like the other selection box with chicken etc it. The whitefish flavour was a particular favourite  :)

Hi-life sell small cans of dark tuna meat that have all the minerals added to make them complete. There are tiny cans they call tuna imperial (there is a small garnish of squid on top  :evillaugh: ) and a larger 185g can of dark tuna meat with minerals added - again it is complete and is proper fish rather than a fishy meat like most fish cat foods. It is only about 50p in sainsbury's.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »
Ideally you want to get her to eat a complete food as she doesn't want to miss out on any nutrients if she has already not eaten for a while. Pure fish is fine for an occasional treat but it's missing minerals, saturated fat and probably taurine. If you have fish canned in water (not brine) you might drain off the liquid and mix that with the Whiskas Senior? If nothing else works and you really want to try canned fish then I'd go for one with bones in (mash them into the meat) as the calcium will bind some of the phosphorus (thank you Mark!  ;) ).
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks Mark.  I don't know an awful lot about kidney disease, and what stage she is at (as she's not my cat!).   I'm planning on trying her usual Whiskas Senior, and if she won't eat that then try some of the Royal Canin dry food that my Thea loved (which means I will have to get the tablet into her some other way - even though my neighbours have just let her go without the tablet if she hasn't eaten it :-S), or/and a fish flavoured Gourmet or Sheba.   If I can't get her to eat any of those, what are your thoughts on pure tinned mackerel, tuna, sardines, salmon?

The Royal Canin dried food I have is 'Exigent Savour Sensation' (Fussy cat, extra appetising!), and 'Sensitive' (Thea had food intolerances).  Just to point out a few ingredients:  Both have sodium phosphate in the them.  'Sensitive' has hydrolysed animal proteins (no vegetable ones), taurine, l-lysine and egg powder.  'Exigent' has animal and vegetable proteins (and it says 'L.I.P. protein selected for its very high assimilation - whatever that means!) and egg powder.  Obviously they have other ingredients like dehydrated poultry etc.  They are both 33% protein.

Thanks and sorry for asking lots of questions - any thoughts gratefully received, I just don't want to make her any worse in the week I am taking care of her!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:59 AM »
Renal food is usually low protein and low phosphorus but the latest thinking is that as long as the protein is of high quality it is fine. The protein in Whiskas dry is probably the lowest quality on the market, along with go-cat and other supermarket own-brand cheapo stuff as most of the protein is vegetable based - the bioavailability is very low. The bioavailability is much higher in meat with eggs being the highest.

I agree that any food is better than no food but it isn't sustainable and health will deteriorate quicker.

Willow would only eat gourmet perle in the end but I used to mix ipakitine binders in it to bind the phosphorus.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 23:50:17 PM »
As Steff says
Mark is pretty hot on CRF info as are a few other purrs regulars (but I can't think who right now).
As others have said, its important to get CRF cats to eat and drink any food even if its not special kidney food.

Think he knows a lot about the food side of it - whats good/bad etc.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 23:44:58 PM »
I think some people just HAVE cats but don't UNDERSTAND cats so almost take them for granted :(

I hope you are able to make a little difference in this cats life :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 23:40:30 PM »
Thanks so much Steff.  With Thea, tablets were always so easy (she was hyperthyroid).  She tilted her head back, I opened her mouth and popped it in, followed by a treat.  (But then, she always just got in the box to go to the vets, and used to stick her paws out for a manicure when I was doing my nails!)  My neighbour's said I am welcome to try that but they aren't brave enough!  I think perhaps Dairylea might be the way forward!

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 23:36:42 PM »
Thanks Edd.  I know it's not my cat, but I want to make sure I do the best thing for her in the next week while they are away - and not make her worse!  I've got some Gourmet, so will try warming it a little.  I've just checked my "super fussy cat" Royal Canin ingredients, and protein is 33% - whereas Sheba and Gourmet are only 7% which (with my little knowledge) seem perhaps a better option.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 23:35:52 PM »
Sorry you've been left in a bit of a difficult situation, I did see Thea's thread and really hoped she would get better...I never posted because I didn't have any help or advice to offer but lots of (((hugs))) for you hun.

I hope your neighbours cat remains stable whilst they're away and hopefully you can help her a bit with your special food and extra attention :)

Mark is pretty hot on CRF info as are a few other purrs regulars (but I can't think who right now).

As others have said, its important to get CRF cats to eat and drink any food even if its not special kidney food.

Tablets in a dot of cream cheese on your finger is a trick I use for my lot and it usually works. So if your concerned she is not eating her tablets from her food regularly then maybe try that method.

Hugs again for you and this little cat
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 23:28:34 PM »
With cats with chronic kidney problems, you are right that it is important for them to eat and need to be  encouraged to eat. Believe little and often with lots of encouragement.

A friend's cat with CRF will eat 1/2 a tin of the gourmet gold (mashed up with a little warm water) or heated in a microwave for 5-10 seconds. If it is CRF then there are some websites that are useful such as Tanyas CRF site

Just to say lots of these for you  :hug: :hug: :hug: and hope someone with experience will be along to help you.

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 23:16:24 PM »
Just to add some info in case anyone knows about kidney disease:  she has Whiskas Senior plus Whiskas dry food.  She is not on a specific kidney prescription diet, such as Hills.  I guess it's better that I get her to eat something rather than nothing, but I don't want to damage her kidneys further.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 23:04:53 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 23:01:04 PM »
Thanks Gill, I really don't want to see another cat in pain or discomfort this week!  It was heart-wrenching watching Thea struggle.  I hope it's something minor and shortlived.  I'm getting a bit phobic of vets!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 23:03:06 PM by Dahlia »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Looking after neighbour's cat for a week - need some advice
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 22:56:02 PM »
Oh yes I agree about the vets, so would I  :hug:

Sounds like she doesnt get any attention or masybe the meds make her feel bad.

Could also be she just needs some nice tasty food.

Lots of luck with her and hope she picks up  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 22:46:11 PM »
Thanks Gill - she's had the kidney tablet in her food for a good year now, and just eats it along with the food, so I don't think that is the problem.  Behaviourally she is also very withdrawn.

I'll just try a few new tasty things with her, and see if I can get her eating something.

My neighbours are going abroad for a week's holiday.  They told me not to go to the vets as it's not fair on me - but it's not fair on the cat!  So if the cat gets worse, I'm taking her. 

When Thea was a little poorly a few years ago, and I had to go abroad for work for 5 days, I took her round to my parents' house so she had someone with her all day.  (Plus my mum's voice sounds like me, so Thea adopted her as Mummy Number 2 and was terribly excited to discover an invention called carpet!).

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 22:16:45 PM »
Your neighbour has been a bit inconsiderate of you and their cat by leaving her like this.

Its important that cats eat but I believe that fish flavoured food would be Ok but not pure fish.

I wonder if the tablet in her food is causing her not to eat, is it a big tablet? Can it be hiddeen in cream cheese or something.

I would try other more tasty foods than felix.

I hope this post will attract replies from others who have cats with kidney probs...............I would do something serious to this bloomin owner!!

Offline Dahlia

• Adult Cat
Looking after neighbour's cat for a week - need some advice. KIDNEYS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 20:35:36 PM »
Hello everyone

I have been asked to feed next door's cat for a week, while they are away, which I have done several times.  I was a bit hesitant this time, having just lost my girl, but said yes.

Anyway, when the neighbour dropped off the keys tonight, he said that the cat has not been eating for a few days and is very withdrawn.  (She's usually a friendly and affectionate cat that greets you at the door - but now is staying on the bed, withdrawn).

She has been to the vets today and they gave an anti-bio injection, and took a blood test.  The neighbour will text me on Monday from their holiday to tell me the result of the blood tests.  I have said that if she worsens I will take her to the vet, which they said not to do as it wasn't fair on me - but of course I'm not going to leave a poorly cat for a week.  (Although the last thing I want to see right now is another vet!).

Apparently she has eaten a little last night and today - so is possibly getting better.

Anyway - a couple of questions/thoughts I have are:

- She has kidney problems (she is an old girl).  She has them in her food, but obviously isn't eating very much, so isn't necessarily eating the tablet everyday.

- As she is currently not eating, I suggested trying her on some of my girl's 'extra fussy cat' Royal Canin food, which is extra appetising.  I also have some Sheba and Gourmet tins of fish flavours I could give her (which I bought for my Thea before I lost her) - as apparently she has started to be a bit picky about her usual Whiskas.  I understand that with kidney problems you have to be careful about phosphorus levels?  Are fish flavours a good idea, or are meat flavours better?  If I give her a can of pure tuna or salmon if she is really not eating, would this be ok for her?  What is more important - to get her eating anything vs. giving her a 'good kidney' food and her not eating at all?

I just hope to God she doesn't get really bad while they're away :-S

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 23:03:39 PM by Dahlia »

Link to CatChat