Author Topic: Russian Blue owners - feedback/comment wanted  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Russian Blue owners - feedback/comment wanted
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 19:44:39 PM »
think this is the only one http://www.russianblue.org.uk/

despite the name it has many non-breeder members - I am one myself
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
I don't know whether you've seen or bought cat magazines before, but they contain breed profiles and both - Your Cat and Cat World - have featured Russian Blues in the past - usually with comments on personality and what it's like living with the breed.  You can buy them in W H Smiths.  Back copies may be available so it would be worth looking - cat world have downloadable breed profiles

http://www.ashdown.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=45

It would also be worth contacting a russian blue cat club (I don't know anything about them so don't know whether there is just one or several) and trying to visit a cat show to see them in the fur and chat to breeders.

I think RBs are quite a reserved breed - may be too quiet for you if you really want a burmese or oriental cat.  I have a Somali and he's adorable but seriously hard work.  I don't think he got the memo about cats sleeping for several hours a day. 

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 00:43:26 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about the breed, except that they are lovely to look at!! What I would say is that many reputable breeders will only allow you to adopt one of their cats if you don't let it go outside as sometimes pedigrees can get stolen.  :( Given that you both work long hours it would be preferable if your cat can go outside, assuming you don't live close to a busy road of course? The alternative is to cat-proof your garden or build a large run, is that an option?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 13:11:32 PM »
I love the breed, but in all honesty I would be disappointed had I only got Trigger, because he is too undemanding for someone like me, who lives alone and is home all day

my latest rescue moggie is far more affectionate than him, and loves being with me

this aloofness of the Russian Blue is the only downside, for me, and might be considered an asset by you, but if you want a cat to cuddle then I would suggest you don't get two Russians

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:47:54 AM »
All cat owners/lovers (or potential cat owners in your case!) are welcome on Purrs, pedigree and moggy alike, but Russian Blue is not that common a breed. Apart from trigger, who posted on your other thread, I think we only have one other regular poster who has a russian blue and that is Ellen2010. Hopefully she'll spot this and be able to tell you about her experience of the breed  ;D

It might be worth emailing some breeders and asking if they have any owners who they are in contact with who would be happy to pass their email address to you, most owners love talking about their cats!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:40:24 AM »
I think you should understand that Purrs is a rescue site and apart from the one comment you had on your other thread, I am not sure we have any owners of these cats.

I have two rescue birmans and there are loads of persians and some other pedigrees but they are in the minority on Purrs. Most have rescue cats and I also have two rescue moggies and one kitten who walked in out of the snow and needs a home.

Offline zalek

• Kitten
Russian Blue owners - feedback/comment wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
I'm sorry for creating another thread alongside another one already running but I thought that this is a very specific and narrow and would be best asked a separate topic.

Anyway, if you have read my previous topic you may know that my partner have decided that she wants russian blue pedigree. She is now trying to find all the scrapes of information she can find about the breed. Not much and most say only about how lovely it all is (as they do). However, what we really really want is to hear comments from the actuall owners. Especially all the difficult/annoying/testing bits that we may come across. I know everyone is different (I mean us, humans) and what annoys me may not annoy someone else but we need to start somewhere.

So, owners of russian blue, please come forward and tell us as much as you can (and want) about your cat. We would love to hear from you. Perhaps short description of our situation would help you point out things that would be particularly relevant:
- we are childless couple (and no pets)
- live in 2 bed bungalow,
- have very few visitors, so very quiet home environment,
- we are not home for most of the day (my partner is away Mon-Thu 8.45am - 6.15pm and I'm home 3 evening a week and all weekends),

Link to CatChat