Author Topic: Cat grieving?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Cat grieving?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
They definitely grieve and poor Jaffa grieved for some time when his brother, Magpie, died.  Even though they weren't all that close, I think Jaffa missed the companionship.   Magpie died in the October and it wasnt until I was forced to take Jaffa up to my mum's at christmas that year (left it too late to book him into a cattery) that things got better.  When we got home, the change seemed to have worked and he started to act more normally.  I don't know how long it would have taken if he hadn't had that disruption to his routine.  Jaffa became very clingy and wouldn't let me out of his sight.  he wouldn't even sleep on the bed in the bedroom whilst I was next door - he had to be with me all the time.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 20:29:04 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 19:36:03 PM »
There is a grieving process for most domestic animals. It helps them avoid this if you can arrange for them to see their dead friend before they are buried. That allows them to understand what has happened and so shortens the grieving process. Your daughter's overnight stay would have caused further disruption as he is clearly close to your daughter and felt she too had gone from his life. He will recover with time, but it is heartbreaking to watch them go through this process.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 19:27:57 PM »
They definitely do grieve, The Cinnamon Trust use Rescue REmedy when animals lose a friend (either human or animal) - Ellie was awful after Sam was pts, she would walk round the house yowling for hours, and as she was a skittish cat, I couldnt do the one thing I wanted - a big hug.
Please spay your cat

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 17:52:20 PM »
I do believe they grieve and feel sadness and know that their house mate is not there. I don't think they know they have passed on though as they seem to keep wondering where they are and almost expect them to come home.
It can take a long time for them to settle in to a new routine. When our Cidie passed away in June Kennedy kept patroling around looking for her but then he become much more people friendly and chatty. He would talk and burble maybe as he used to do with her? He constantly looked for attention and strangely stopped lying in the spot they used to lie together on.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 14:25:44 PM »
I think he is grieving  :hug: :hug:

Give him as much time and love and affection as you can  ;D

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Cat grieving?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 14:23:34 PM »
Since Digby went to Bridge in mid November his brother Dillon seems to have become more vocal, especially when he comes back into house, the same noise he used to make when bringing us mice or bird "presents".  He still keeps looking at the radiator behind the sofa where Digby loved to sleep too.  He has also been even more affectionate than ever.  Beside himself pacing the house when my daughter slept at her friends house last week. The cats used to keep their distance from each other, but think this was more Digby's choice.  Do you think Dillon is grieving or should I take him to vets because of vocalisation?  Don't want to miss something if he's ill, but dreading having to go back to vets for first time since Digger pts there. 

Link to CatChat