Author Topic: itchy scratchy  (Read 1898 times)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
Re: itchy scratchy
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 14:28:09 PM »
Most injection sites I have seen, have been visible if the cat was standing in front of you - so what you mention sounds a bit different. If that is not bothering her, does not sound like clipper burn so perhaps show it to the vet when you see them.

The scratching around the head and neck could be down to a range of reasons inlucding perhaps the frontline. Probably best to let the vet check her over as you say  :hug:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 14:14:30 PM »
hi edd ... stupid question but "which is the front of her leg"?  the bit that i would equate to my forearm actually faces backwards on a cat when its standing facing you?  so ... as she stands facing me i can't see it - which is why i didn't notice it.  its only when she lies down and turns her arm over.  it looks less red today.  but no that's not what she's scratching.  she doesn't seem at all bothered about that patch.  mainly scratching head and shoulders.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 14:07:57 PM »
If the sore area is on her leg at the front - as others have said it could be where she was shaved to administer the anaesthetic for spaying. Is that where she is scratching?

My Chelsea had clipper burn the vets besides giving her an anti-inflammatory (it was quite bad clipper burn and she was highly stressed about it) - they also advised to smooth a small bit of sudocrem over the worst affected areas to ease the itching. (have to be careful of them licking it off)

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
thank you - this is really useful.  soon as vets re open after hols i can check if she was shaved on her arm during spay.  get some salmon oil and get her to my vets to have a look at her.  she has some potential adopters coming to meet her next week so would be good to get her sorted and off to her forever home .... ready for the next one to come in.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 20:41:13 PM »
I don't think its ringworm - doesn't look quite like the pics i googled since it was suggested. but hopefully get her off to vet after xmas just for a check over.

Don't go by pictures on the internet. Every case of Ringworm is different, as such they all look different. Ringworm can be very mild, very severe and everything inbetween. Other times it can be mistaken for other skin complaints. The only way you'd know if it was/wasn't is to get her tested at the vets  :hug:

When it comes to fish oil I highly recommend Salmon Oil.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 19:24:59 PM »
Human mothers can have their stores of essential fatty acids (EFAs) depleted, why not a nursing feline? I am glad she has now found a loving forever home and won't have to have any more kittens or live outdoors.  :hug:

As always Mark is spot on in advising not cod liver oil - it is also low in the omega-3 EFAs which are the anti-inflammatory component of fish body oil.  Do be aware that cats also require saturated (animal) fat in their diet, please don't substitute one for the other. Also please don't be tempted by flax or other plant oils, they are of limited use even to humans tho Holland & Barrett staff may claim otherwise! :tired: If there is an EFA deficiency fish oil may take a while to have the desired effect.

Might be worth noting that the skin is an organ of excretion, through which waste substances can be eliminated. If an animal has an intolerance or allergy to a foodstuff this may be displayed in skin health. If the itching persists it may be worth trying a change of food: in cats cereals (in most dry foods) and fish are common culprits. Alternatively you might try a different flea treatment next time, there will always be a few cats that react to Frontline as with any med. She could even still be eliminating the dregs of the drugs given during her spay.

My last thought was she might simply be getting too warm, if she has her full winter jacket on then opts to bake next to a radiator ... ? Might be worth daily grooming as if she sheds you might end up with furballs to contend with! :sick:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 13:27:07 PM »
I know they sell special ones for animals but you could use something from Holland & Barratt.

I just googled for a cat one and this is the first one that came up - funnily enough
, it mentions that it is good for itchy skin. I think you ca just mix a few drops in with their regular food.

http://www.ukpetfood.com/sos-salmon-oil-4-cats-711-p.asp

I would avoid things like cod liver oil as they have too much of certain vitamins (A&D I think  :-: ) so can cause health problems.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 13:28:36 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
thank you all of you.  good to know there's help out there.

she was spayed a week ago on wednesday so it could be that steff.  the other cats i've taken to be spayed haven't had anything on their arms though.  but then she went to a different vet so they may have done things differently.

the dry skin with central heating makes a lot of sense.  up to a week ago she was living outside - first in a coal bunker with her kits and then in an outside pen at rescue place.  so coming into a warm house might have affected her.

mark - how do i give her fish oil? not something i'm familiar with - sorry bit of a newbie to all this.

i don't think its ringworm - doesn't look quite like the pics i googled since it was suggested. but hopefully get her off to vet after xmas just for a check over.

thanks again for all your help.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »
Not sure about the patch but a lot of cats get dry skin this time of year due to central heating. You could try adding some fish oil to her diet, although I would get the patch checked. Ringworm spread so easily and can also pass on to humans. (It is a fungal infection)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 23:55:22 PM »
Just wondered if the patch could be from where the would have shaved to access a vein for drugs when she was spayed...was she spayed fairly recently?
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 22:47:28 PM »
Round bald patches and itchiness is a sign of ringworm. A vet would be able to diagnose and provide treatment. I'm not saying this is what she has though. Just first thing that comes to mind.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
itchy scratchy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 21:10:31 PM »
my most recent foster cat (she's been with me just over a week) seems to be scratching a lot.  she had frontline on her the day after she came to me though I didn't see any sign of fleas on her before doing it, and no sign of any coming off after i'd used it.  she seems fine apart from that really.  wondering if something else could be causing itching or if its just habit or just that she scratches more than other cats i've been used to.

she's about 3.  was left out in the snow with a couple of kittens.  they've been rehomed.  she went to be spayed and then came to me after her op. 

she's got a little round patch - about the size of a 10p piece on her forearm where the fur is very thin and there appears to be a scratch / redness on it.  not sure if that's connected.  i only noticed that last night - mostly its hidden.

i'll probably get her to the vet after xmas for a check.  just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Link to CatChat