Author Topic: Spraying?  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Spraying?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
 :welcome: Always lovely to have a new cat slave join up! Did this problem coincide with the change in work pattern? Inappropriate toileting or spraying can be a sign of a health issue, it can be stress related or it seems to be just what some cats do. We have quite a few regulars used to dealing with this sort of issue, and I am sure they will give you a more detailed response than I.

First thing to suggest is use a biological washing powder or product specifically designed to remove pet urine if you aren't already, it may be that your work clothing now smells (to a cat) like Stevie and he feels the need to keep topping that scent up.  :sick: Secondly you could try a Feliway plug in which many swear by for calming cats.

Thirdly you might look at how well your cat is occupied when you are not home - it may be possible to build a secure run in your garden or catproof the whole outside space so Stevie can scent mark and explore his territory in safety. Also look at whether you can keep him better occupied with food and toys: food-wise you might purchase a feeding ball (e.g. Slimcat), make your own intelligence toy (YouTube 'Katzenfummelbrett') or try some RAW bone-in meat such as a jointed chicken wing.

Toys you might look at for solo play include the Bergan Turbo Track - which my indoor boy  :Luv: - or something as small as a mylar ball (like a foil Xmas tree decoration). There are loads of cool cat toys on the Purrsinourhearts shop including the TT. Do rotate which toys you leave out as cats are intelligent and therefore easily bored.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgdVucDeVU

Fourthly you might look at changing your routine when you arrive home to break this habit. Some pets suffer with separation anxiety and in those cases it is advised to not make a fuss as you leave or arrive home. Not saying Stevie has separation anxiety as I am not a veterinarian or behaviourist, just that this technique might be worth a try. I wouldn't think of bringing another cat into the home until you are confident Stevie is settled.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 18:55:05 PM »
Is it only when you get home from work? If so, could it be you have a different smell about you for some reason?

Don't take this personally  :), I only mean have you been working somewhere different or near someone new. Cats' noses are ultransensitive and if you suddenly come home smelling different from normal, it might upset Stevie, and he's spraying on you to mask the new smell and make you "his" again.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 17:18:49 PM »
I wonder if it could be anal gland fluid? that certainly has a strong smell   :sick:

Welcome  :welcome:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
has he seen a vet, it can sometimes be a sign of an infection??  welcome by the way!

Offline marcjones84

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Stevie
Spraying?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 19:46:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum, and also pretty new to cat ownership. Firstly, Apologies I am sure this question has been covered on these forums, but I thought I would post anyway and at least say Hi.

I have a 14 month old male cat who has been neutered. Recently I think he has been spraying, but it only seems to be on my. It seems that whenever I am fussing over him or when I come home from work he seems to spray on my lap. Not sure if it is urine or not, but it has got a very strong smell to it and is a nightmare to clean ha ha ha.

Can anyone possibly advise me what this may be and what may be the cause of it. He first did it about 8 weeks ago, and then has done it about 3 or 4 times in say the last 10/14 days.

He is fine in himself and is eating ok etc.

May be worth noting he only does this on me and not my wife.

We are toying with the idea of introducing a female kitten for some companionship as unfortunately our work pattern has changed slightly from what it was when we got him, so there is the odd day where he may be in on his own.

Also, Sorry for rambling. He is a house cat. We live near a busy road an quite a few cats have had some accidents which we wanted to avoid with Stevie.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Link to CatChat