Author Topic: Hoarse and croaky  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Hoarse and croaky
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 15:53:10 PM »
Thanks, and his nose looks a bit better and he is sleeping peacefully at moment, so am keeping fingers crossed.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 13:28:03 PM »
depends on the particular bug/virus. in humans most colds/flus will have run their course 5-7 days after symptoms start i think

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
How long is a cycle?

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 21:24:06 PM »
 :hug: Hopefully itll will be near the end of its cycle soon and he can fight it off

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 21:14:54 PM »
So pleased she is doing well, am worried about Franta.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 21:13:17 PM »
Aye, sorry,
shes improved so i havent taken her back in. still not normal vocally but able to make herself heard  :evillaugh: and not gagging anymore which was the worrying part. she is still swallowing alot and deliberatly so im guessing sore throat? she seems ok in herself now so i think ill just keep an eye. 

Gill, franta sounds much worse and deff sounds like some sort of cold/virus  :hug: im/sparecat was lucky that she wasnt snuflly or bunged up at all so anti-biotics seem to have worked quickly. would be so much easier if they could tell us what was wrong

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 20:03:56 PM »
How's she doing now Snarf? Any improvement?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
This is like symptoms that Franta had and took him to vets yesterday, he also had bloods and are fine, they gave him steroid injection and appetite stimulant cos he wasnt eating properly.

Last night he started sneezing and is now trying to blow gunge out of his nose.

On Monday if he wasnt better I have to go and get syringes of abs to inject him cos cant pill........daft isnt it ......sigh

They didnt want to give him the abs cos wanted to know if the othet two solved problem.

He was in the vets overnight a week and half ago and wondering if he has ben near cat flu.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »

Did the vet say whether cats can get sore throats due to minor viruses just like humans? I don't see why they wouldn't and that would be my first thought so hopefully nothing to worry about  :hug:

that was what initially thought til i got worried about stray bones. Vet said its possible but most likely was something in soft pallate. he thought the next most likely was kidney related (i dont understand how theyre related?) although as shes eating fine and not drinking excessively not likely but thats whywe blood tested before GA. not a risk worth taking. the antibiotics/steroids are to help if it is a cold/virus and if shes not better by friday it is something else and we are to go back to vet.

In fact, funny you should mention this as I came home tonight and Lu (who normally has a very annoying moaning meow) croaked at me and my reaction was 'yippee, he's losing his voice'  :-[

my first thought was ha! that'll teach you, youve scolded so much youve lost your voice! she has before meowed to the point that shes got a bit croaky and needed a rest before continuing her nag. but now im really missing it! shes not as purrry as normal so she must be abit down.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 22:32:22 PM »
Sorry Snarf, think this has got lost in the midst of the auction madness  :hug:

Did the vet say whether cats can get sore throats due to minor viruses just like humans? I don't see why they wouldn't and that would be my first thought so hopefully nothing to worry about  :hug:

In fact, funny you should mention this as I came home tonight and Lu (who normally has a very annoying moaning meow) croaked at me and my reaction was 'yippee, he's losing his voice'  :-[

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 21:00:32 PM »
saw vet today, standard check over didnt show anything, temp ok
hes run standard bloods (ok) and then GA so he could  check her throat/soft pallate- nothing found so has given her short term antibiotic and steroids, if no improvement by friday then back in. im relieved theres nothing stuck anywhere and if bloods are fine its more likely to be something non-serious?

any ideas?
 shes obviously not happy but hard to tell if shes actually in pain or discomfort, shes not one for showing signs of anything. that said she was obviously happy to be back with meowmy  :Luv: my beautiful baby girl needs her voice back

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
Hoarse and croaky
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 15:40:34 PM »
Spare cat is normally very vocal, very loud and very shrill, last night i came home from work and she croaked at me a few times and then gave up. today shes struggling to even croak and barely makes any noise. 
shes also  now today retching but not producing anything and looking to me abit listless (shes moving about etc but her eyes arent as open as normal - third eyelid normal) her ears arent hot and shes eating as normal.
ive tried to get a vet appointment for today but they cant fit her in so shes booked in for tomorrow evening

im worried shes swallowed a bone - im cooking chicken for Neko and taking out the bones and binning them but i could have missed a bit?

Am i over reacting or is tomorrow ok? im thinking of ringing round the chain vets to try to get her seen today.

Link to CatChat