Author Topic: ringworm  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: ringworm
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 20:34:08 PM »
Really Gillian my cats never go outside although we do have a cat that visits so i didn't think it would be from them also i have not got it and the cats spend more time with me than him
Got a vet visit in 2 weeks so i will enquire then

Not everyone is susceptible to ringworm, so one person might catch it and another not, even though both in contact with it - same with cats.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 18:18:20 PM »
We used to use a wood lamps (UV).

Think it can take a while for any scrapings taken by the vet to be confirmed as ringworm (10 days +) but best to ask your vet.

I have seen the isolation ward down at CP. They are meticulous about it aren't they Mark. It can be highly contagious and transferable.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 18:06:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure ringworm shows up with a UV lamp. I know it is a pain to get rid of. When we visited CP HQ, they showed us the ringworm quarantine area. Designated staff had to dress in disposable boiler suits and walk through a disinfectant bath before entering or leaving. They said that pregnant strays that came in with it were there for 3 or 4 months. I remember one of the staff said it was really sad that kittens were 4 months old before they saw the outside of the room. I'm surprised there isn't a type of 'lamisil once' that can zap it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 17:53:21 PM »
Really Gillian my cats never go outside although we do have a cat that visits so i didn't think it would be from them also i have not got it and the cats spend more time with me than him
Got a vet visit in 2 weeks so i will enquire then

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 22:17:51 PM »
Its possible your husband may have caught it from your cats. Cats that are ringworm carriers don't necessarily show any signs themselves.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 21:00:40 PM »
Ok thanks for the replies

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 19:44:03 PM »
Yep, ringworm is transferrable between cats/humans. Both my Mum and I caught it many years ago from a litter of kittens and their Mum that set up camp on our patio on holiday in Fuerteventura. Their ears looked a bit scabby but we didn't know what it was and continued to cuddle, stroke and feed them.

I had Tiggy and her brother back then and was soooo worried about passing it to them. My solution was to keep the lesions covered with a square of micropore at all times (not so easy for my Mum as she had one on her forehead  :evillaugh:). Not let the cats in my bedroom as that's the time your flesh is exposed to the sheets/duvet and the spores are deposited, any other time it's hidden by clothing. The same for the bathroom as towels would also come into contact with it.

It's highly contagious and a booger to eradicate from cats so please tell your OH to be extra careful  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 19:30:10 PM »
a quick google suggests there is only one type of ringworm, so can be caught from, and passed to, other people and animals
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 18:26:58 PM »
A question for your doc I think......its very infectiuous and as cats can pass it on to humans I would guess maybe the other way too

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
ringworm
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 18:20:18 PM »
My husband  has just been diagnosed with this although our cats do not have any signs of it
I'm just wondering if he could pass it on to them??

Link to CatChat