Author Topic: Teeth after a dental???  (Read 4062 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Teeth after a dental???
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
Ollie.......I do have a better one but it wont post!!
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
Yes he's had infections after all of his teeth were taken out, thank God they are few and far between, but when he get's one he usually has it for about 3 weeks. So this means the condition is not being managed as well because the infection seems to block the treatment- he has to get rid of the infection for his mouth to settle down again. He had one not so long ago so Im expecting him to have another after christmas- it always seems to be after christmas he gets a really bad infection- he seems to do fine over the summer months, which is odd  :-:

After having his last teeth out he lost a lot of weight, around 1kg, he was at his best that he had been at for a long time, 4.6kg, but now he seems to stay between 3.6- 3.8kg. He's also lost a lot of muscle tone from his rear and was finding it hard to jump onto kitchen tops etc, he seems to be doing better now and can manage- he's been on steriods since being 6 months old so the vets said loosing muscle is a side effect of the steriods.

Ollie's condition was so bad that every 2-3 weeks he would need a steriod booster, his throat would close over at the back preventing him to breath- now it's every 4-5 weeks and his mouth doesn't close over anymore- so even though he's had his teeth removed he still has the condition but not as life threatening as it once was.

As for anything else other than taking the teeth out and managing it, my vets are stumped! but Im not bothered he seems to be doing well and Im just glad he's here, and I know he is glad to be here too  :Luv2:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 18:51:24 PM »
 :hug: :hug: He is a very lucky cat to have you as his owner.

Has he had any infections since having the teeth removed. Also Dr Addie suggests that Classic Cat food is beneficial for cats with stomatitis/gingivitis - have you tried Ollie on that at all.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 15:09:39 PM »
Thanks Edd  :)

Yes I will do my vets are very good been going to them for nearly 8 years and they have been very good with me and my animals  :) They know Ollie down to a T, and have done everything possible for him, even taken on board my suggestions, thats how come he had the last teeth removed- they didn't think it would of done any good as Ollie's mouth is sore at the back (where his back teeth were taken out) and it's also right down his throat too  :(

His mouth isnt so bad now just when he gets a dreaded infecton it sets him right back again, Ollie's been on death's door many times  :( I was advised by the pdsa over 3 years ago to have Ollie PTS but because I didn't like the thought I went back to my own vets and they have been doing all they can for him since then, my boy will be 7 this year- an age many vets thought he wouldn't get to but he's proved them wrong  :Luv:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 13:00:13 PM »
Hi CC - yes I saw the picture of the 4 original fangs. But you and your vet say another one is coming through - I can only guess that it must have been impacted/restricted by the original fang. I do not think that is common.

If any other teeth were also impacted/restricted by the teeth now removed - then only an xray would show that. It could be that the fang you now see will be the only one and as long as Ollie is doing ok now that is all that matters.

Continue to be guided by your vet.  :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
 thats all of his 4 fangs Edd so I know none have been left behind.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »
If Ollie has just had a fang come through - that may be ok - I have seen some cats where the fangs have been left in. Suppose it depends whether it starts to cause problems with the gums.   :hug: Suppose only an xray will show if there are any more but hopefully not.

Re the cat I mentioned who had roots left in the back teeth whilst having his teeth removed by an animal hospital because of stomatitis/gingivitis - I have had an little update from the owner

He is still doing fine although the vet has said that they may have to consider removing the roots so don't know if they are starting to cause a problem now - that is 3 1/2 years after the original dental.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 00:05:54 AM »
The thing is when Ollie had his second lot of teeth out I kept the teeth, fangs and the ones inbetween- he had already had the rest removed so there were only from the fangs inwards to be taken out, and all have been accounted for, it seems to be another fang coming through as it's in the place where the fang is  :Crazy: Ollie's teeth were quite healthy and strong it was just the gums that were/ are the problem.

The link between nutrition and the condition your Ollie has/ had is interesting, I will bookmark that.  :)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 17:44:32 PM »
Ollies teeth, purrrfectly healthy....

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »
Thank you everyone for posting or replying to threads like this, as it will help the rest of us avoid the pitfalls of suspect veterinary practice.  :hug:

:-:

The thing is when Ollie had his second lot of teeth out I kept the teeth, fangs and the ones inbetween- he had already had the rest removed so there were only from the fangs inwards to be taken out, and all have been accounted for, it seems to be another fang coming through as it's in the place where the fang is  :Crazy: Ollie's teeth were quite healthy and strong it was just the gums that were/ are the problem.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »
My cats have had bits of tooth left in, Byron eg but my vet told me that they couldn't every single one totally out and I think that they may have broken plus removing a molar may have broken her jaw.   She was in her 20s also so keeping her under too long would have been very risky.

I didn't suggest this to CC though because I presumed that all the teeth had been totally removed from Ollie, I would have thought you'd know if bits had been left in (eg I could see Byron's when the vet opened her mouth on her check up afterwards plus she told me anyway) so it does sound like new teeth as CC's dentist has said.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:18:56 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 22:53:56 PM »
It is possible to get an extra set of teeth, but I would imagine it is not common. I guess x-rays will show whether these are new teeth or fragments left behind. Thank you everyone for posting or replying to threads like this, as it will help the rest of us avoid the pitfalls of suspect veterinary practice.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 20:14:54 PM »
The vet did notice when he was there last, only my partner had to take Ollie as I was at work or I would of asked.

When the dentals (hes had 2) were done they said all the teeth and roots had been removed as they came away easily- his gums were red raw so they wernt that strong.

I just thought it a bit odd a nearly 7 year old to be getting more teeth  :-:

And thanks Janey, I will try to post a pic of him  :)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 18:26:34 PM »
Edd , Ollie has a long history of these problems as he has what CC wrote in her first thread and would you believe that at that time he was being treated at a charity hospital, PDSA I think and they wanted to take the tops of all his teeth off and leave the roots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all advised against this and know that CC now uses a regular vet and until now, the problems I think have been minor, thank goodness.

I reckon poor Ollie would have been at deaths door by now going by the case you sight cos he was already getting serious infection after infection.

I do hope you will ask your vets for advice CC cos they are the best ones to ask and they have done well for Ollie up until now.

The cat I was talking about was also getting very serious infections (Stomatitis/Gingivitis) but took the hospital a year medicating to then decide to do the full dental - So sounds very similar to Ollie except the hospital did carry out the full dental. Believe he is still doing ok now (Still goes to my vet and the oap sends me a card with a little update each Xmas). :)

Whether what Ollie now has is new teeth emerging or possibly any fragment or root fragment that has worked its way to the surface - agree only the vet will be able to advise CC on that.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 17:49:23 PM »
Edd , Ollie has a long history of these problems as he has what CC wrote in her first thread and would you believe that at that time he was being treated at a charity hospital, PDSA I think and they wanted to take the tops of all his teeth off and leave the roots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all advised against this and know that CC now uses a regular vet and until now, the problems I think have been minor, thank goodness.

I reckon poor Ollie would have been at deaths door by now going by the case you sight cos he was already getting serious infection after infection.

I do hope you will ask your vets for advice CC cos they are the best ones to ask and they have done well for Ollie up until now.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 16:58:01 PM »
Over a period of a year I transported an oap and her cat to the local animal charity hospital. The cat had severe gingivitis and had a couple of dentals.

On the last one ( a couple of years ago) they removed nearly all of his teeth. I took the cat to my vet for a check up and she said the roots had been left in on a few of the teeth. This she said was not the way she would have done it and believed they may have had difficulty with some of the teeth - that they snapped or crumbled when being removed. She thought they may loosen over time but another dental was probably on the cards eventually cos as Mark says any fragments or roots can become infected.

I would check with the vet that did the dental to see if anything was left and the reasons.

PS: were any xrays done before/after the dental?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 17:41:19 PM by Edd, Reason: To add PS »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 16:38:25 PM »
I thought I answered this earlier but the post has disappeared. As far as we were concerned Clapton had no teeth. It turned out my old vet had left fragments behind. My vet told me that they work their way to the surface over time but Clapton's had turned necrotic. The vet said there was a risk of the bone becoming infected, so despite Clapton being so poorly, they had to open up his gums and remove them. He said if there are fragments, they should be atomised - ie broken up so the pics ae so small they are reabsorbed back into the body. It sounds like poor Ollie has a similar thing.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 13:49:09 PM »
I'm so pleased that Ollie is doing well CC I have been thinking about him and was going to ask  :hug: give him a hug from me.

I've never heard about teeth growing back though, may be someone will be along who will have experienced this.   I wonder whether all of his kitten teeth actually came out, or can they get 3 lots? either way I hope that it doesn't start to cause any more problems!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 13:50:18 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 13:23:10 PM »
Was asking if anyone would know about the teeth coming back through and if anyone had any experience of this, doesn't matter I will remove the post!  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 13:06:56 PM »
This a question for your vets I think.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
Ive tried to post a pic but it's too big!!!!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Teeth after a dental???
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »
Hi folks, long time no speak....... :)

Wondering if anyone has any advice? Ollie has had all of his teeth removed now and it's been about 5 months since the last and final lot were taken out, but..... he has 2 teeth starting to come back through  :Crazy: I noticed something sharp in his mouth when Ive been pilling him and when he went to the vets she said there are 2 teeth coming back through  :shify:

Ollie is 6 and a half now and I wouldn't really expect for teeth to be regrowing!!! If the teeth just keep coming back through does this mean he will need to have them removed all of the time and there is never going to be an end to his problems?  :-:

Ollie has plasmacytic lymphocytic  stomatitis, http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html

He seems to be doing well, and he's doing even better since getting the rest of his teeth removed, just when he gets a dreaded infection he goes downhill.

Link to CatChat