Author Topic: runny poo  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: runny poo
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
I wouldnt let her mix with any other cats, you dont know if she has an infection that could be passed on. How old did the vet say she was? Kitten food is very rich and can upset their stomach, so she might need adult food.
Please spay your cat

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:03 AM »
thanks everyone.  its not often i'm delighted to see a nice firm lump of cat pooh .... but on this occasion i'll make an exception.  she's been on boiled chicken (strange how the rest of the gang suddenly decided their tummies felt a bit dodgy when they smelled that cooking  :))  and yesterday managed to get some whiskas simply.  and some probiotics in her drinking water.  not sure which bit of it (or all of it) has done the trick but thanks for the advice and thanks for saving me from teh mistake of starving her.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 00:39:40 AM »
Definitely don't starve her... cat's have a shut-down reflex if they do without food for too long.  :doh: Keep up the fluids as much as possible to keep her hydrated. Temporary tummy upsets are not uncommon if they've been recently wormed, especially if it has been some time since they were last properly wormed.  ;) Start to look for other causes if it goes on much past 3 or 4 days.  :hug:

Our vet gives us these grey granuals to mix in with the food if it gets too bad... can't remember the name of them now.  :doh:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 00:17:13 AM »
 :hug: Must be worrying for you not knowing the history, and not wanting to upset a new foster by going back and forth to the vets.

Is the Whiskas Complete a dry food? If so I'd probably go the other way, cut out the dry and leave the wet. First off it will help to hydrate her and secondly you are keeping the nutritious part of the diet (animal protein) and losing all the cereals which are superfluous and some cats struggle to process. Noah went from three soft stinkers a day :sick: to one formed poop when I cut out the grains and Mark is getting similar results with Kylie. The other thing that could be worth trying are some probiotics (friendly bacteria) such as LactoB, any bout of diarrhoea can cause an imbalance between good and bad guys, plus the gut flora form part of the immune system.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 20:33:24 PM »
thanks snarf.  its been 2-3 runny poos per day for last couple of days.  she's drinking ok and cuddling happily.   

she could well be feeling stressed.  she's not had the easiest life so far and now she's stuck in my study.  i've let her out some of the time with the kittens (out of the room that is - not outside) but they're full of beans and i get the impression she's quite irritated by their silly games.

they didn't open her up thankfully when she went to be spayed.  once she was shaved she has a very clear spay scar.  so no antibiotics or anything,.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 20:25:06 PM »
boiled chicken is the only thing that doesnt whip through one of mine. generally reccomended as its quite plain- nothing but protein. Teresa has reccomended whiskas simply before if thats easier to get hold of. 
if its just been the 1 runny poo id not worry yet, think it happens every so often iff theyre stressed. Is she drinking and otherwise bright (playful/attentive etc)?
Did they give her antibiotics after her not spay or did they not even open up? they can damage the gut bacteria- hopefully firefox will be along to explain this

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
runny poo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 19:38:24 PM »
Sorry - but one of my foster kitties has a problem.  She's only been with me just over a week.  Had general health check from vet who thought she seemed fine - he had a pretty good look at her I guess cos he started doing spaying op only to find she'd already been neutered.  Last 48hours she's had really runny poo.  Before that it was more or less ok - apart from one runny incident.  Thankfully she's always made it to her litter tray in time.  She doesn't seem poorly otherwise particularly.  I don't really know her well enough to know what's normal for her.  Vet has estimated her age as about 5 - mainly based on her teeth.

I gave her worming tablet about 3 days ago.  Could this have upset her tummy?  Last 24 hours I've just had her on whiskas complete kitten food and stopped her pouches but that doesn't seem to have made much difference.  We're pretty well snowed in here or I'd go down to pets at home and look for sensitive tummmy food or something.  The kitten food is the only dried food I've got in (for my other little fosters).

Would it be best to not feed her at all for a day or so?  Feeling a bit helpless cos I can't get out to take her back to vets or to get any other food for her cos of the weather.

Any suggestions please?

Link to CatChat